Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div>Indian Belt Maint. ?????</div>
<div>Can any one please tell me how to inspect and
adjust the Drive Belt ?? Measurements ?? 10 lbs of weight ???</div>
<div>I just called the Indian 24 hour 7 day a week phone
number that I received directly from Polaris. What to guess how I made out ??
not there on week ands and nights... Wow I should have known #943</div>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I have the tool but the owners Man does not provide the deflection or if it is the 10 lbs. standart

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a Joke Polaris/ Indian is.
The book doesn't tell you any thing But it does tell you at eight thousand miles you should go to dealer and spend a thousand dollars on a new belt and pulleys. Screw them.
We as Indian/Victory guys and girls spend twenty thousand dollars on there bikes and want more a year later.
The cheap ass company can't even print the owners book and shop manual on real paper. Its all recycled paper.
Bet there office paper isn't

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6736 said:
What a Joke Polaris/ Indian is.
The book doesn't tell you any thing But it does tell you at eight thousand miles you should go to dealer and spend a thousand dollars on a new belt and pulleys. Screw them.
We as Indian/Victory guys and girls spend twenty thousand dollars on there bikes and want more a year later.
The cheap a$$ company can't even print the owners book and shop manual on real paper. Its all recycled paper.
Bet there office paper isn't
I'm trying to figure out why you are so bitter ?
If you don't like the new Indians why not just go away and play somewhere else ?
You just feel the need to jump in on any Indian thread and insult either the manufacture or us owners, maby it's time you just stay away from anything that has to do with Indians, I sure won't miss you.

Edit : Trolls should go back under the bridge from where they came from.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6736 said:
The book doesn't tell you any thing But it does tell you at eight thousand miles you should go to dealer and spend a thousand dollars on a new belt and pulleys.
Seriously???????????????????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been turning wrenches on bikes for about 15 years now and I'll tell you that the belt will far outlast your pulleys. The tension should be fairly tight, between 3/8 inch to 1/2 in deflection with 10lbs pressure (for a Harley) Yamaha Polaris and Indians use a longer belt so, in turn, should have a bit more deflection, so I'd be happy with 1/2 to 3/4 inch of play with the same 10lbs.
The old rubber belts ran looser. All belts should be inspected regularly. Look for broken teeth, cracks at the base of the teeth and for stone or other debris chips. A stone or something through the middle of the belt does not declare it trashed but should be replaced a the next service. Inspect the pulleys at every tire change.
EASY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
6736 said:
What a Joke Polaris/ Indian is...
Wow, seriously???? Maybe what you are really saying is what a joke vision_nut is.

Where does it recommend 'at eight thousand miles you should go to dealer and spend a thousand dollars on a new belt and pulleys'???

Page 82 says to change the belt at 30,000 miles and doesn't even say anything about changing the sprocket.

Page 87 says 'Replace the drive belt and both sprockets as a set if the drive belt has over 5,000 miles (8,000 km) of service at the time of damage or failure.'

Since you seem to be incapable of under standing basic english let me see if I can explain that to you.

Inspect your belt at 500, 2,500, and 5,000 miles then every 5,000 miles after.

If you don't find any damage change your belt at 30,000 miles.

If you do find damage evaluate the damage using the pictures on page 87 (since it has pictures I assume you won't need anyone to explain it to you, at least I hope you don't. If you do need someone to explain it then I'd suggest you sell your bike since you don't seem to have enough intelligence to properly operate one).

If you do find damage that the pictures on page 87 recommends you change the belt with less than 5,000 miles on the bike you would probably be safe to just change the belt.

If you do find damage that the pictures on page 87 recommends you change the belt with more than 5,000 miles on the bike it is recommended that you change both the sprockets as well as the belt.

For the record, there is not a single mention of 8,000 miles in the entire book. I guess you are incapable of figuring out that km istand for kilometers, not miles. Hopefully your speedometer only show miles per hour or else you will be going extreamly slow while trying to figure out why all those maniacs are flying by you

As far as using recycled paper, I think it shows that they are a great company that understands we have limited resources on this planet of ours. To bad others don't follow suit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best on the intelligence level of this first post, I have to assume this guy was brainwashed by Harleyfor yyears . I am not sure if this guy runs a cow rope on his current bike as a belt. I also have a 2008 Raider that has a piece of metal stuck in the belt. Been riding it for over 10000 miles that way. Yes, I should replace it, but don't seem to get to it. Living on the edge. Peace out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I took my Chieftain into the dealership for the 500 mile service, I was told by the tech the Indian belt is not as tight as most. Call Gregory Polaris and talk to Adam. I am sure he can help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
When I took my Chieftain into the dealership for the 500 mile service, I was told by the tech the Indian belt is not as tight as mos
Same thing my dealer told me,Indian belts run a lot looser than most any other model out there. Not sure if this is correct but I will go with what they tell me unless I have issues. There actualy is a gauge built into the belt cover to check it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is a old thread, but adding this for reference ...

Attachments

·
Founding member
1,507 Posts
I run my belts tight. Always have. i mentioned this about a year ago and quite a few told me I was headed for trouble up ahead. Well I have 34,000 on the Chieftain now. Original belt. Original pulley. Took a peak at her a couple of days ago. Still tight, appears to be in good shape. I'll let ya'll know when i hit 50,000. LOL

PS. All that chirping, squealing, squalling, some of you complain about. Don't know what you're talking about.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Wow, seriously???? Maybe what you are really saying is what a joke vision_nut is.

Where does it recommend 'at eight thousand miles you should go to dealer and spend a thousand dollars on a new belt and pulleys'???

Page 82 says to change the belt at 30,000 miles and doesn't even say anything about changing the sprocket.

Page 87 says 'Replace the drive belt and both sprockets as a set if the drive belt has over 5,000 miles (8,000 km) of service at the time of damage or failure.'

Since you seem to be incapable of under standing basic english let me see if I can explain that to you.

Inspect your belt at 500, 2,500, and 5,000 miles then every 5,000 miles after.

If you don't find any damage change your belt at 30,000 miles.

If you do find damage evaluate the damage using the pictures on page 87 (since it has pictures I assume you won't need anyone to explain it to you, at least I hope you don't. If you do need someone to explain it then I'd suggest you sell your bike since you don't seem to have enough intelligence to properly operate one).

If you do find damage that the pictures on page 87 recommends you change the belt with less than 5,000 miles on the bike you would probably be safe to just change the belt.

If you do find damage that the pictures on page 87 recommends you change the belt with more than 5,000 miles on the bike it is recommended that you change both the sprockets as well as the belt.

For the record, there is not a single mention of 8,000 miles in the entire book. I guess you are incapable of figuring out that km istand for kilometers, not miles. Hopefully your speedometer only show miles per hour or else you will be going extreamly slow while trying to figure out why all those maniacs are flying by you

As far as using recycled paper, I think it shows that they are a great company that understands we have limited resources on this planet of ours. To bad others don't follow suit.
Be easy on him ............ I think he was a dropped baby. They have a hard time deciphering words and meanings. If anything, show him compassion. Then if he persists? Resort to Plan B.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts