Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When demo riding an RM last week at Daytona Bike Week, on one bike I noticed a set of two analog gauges (I think fuel & voltage) mounted on the tank console. I realize this info is displayed at multiple locations on Ride Command, but the look was great and I really like analog gauges - kinda retro. My questions for those who have added this accessory is 1) What is your overall opinion of this addition?; and 2) Can this be easily self-installed? I am no mechanic but on my two day old RM I have already removed my saddlebags, trunk, and seat to install a rider's backrest and Capt Itch. But removing the tank seems a bit more complicated since accessing the front tank bolt seems even harder than on my Vintage due to the fairing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

Install was pretty easy. I like being able to actually see how much fuel is left when I get the "LOW" indication on the left gauge on the dash, and being able to see voltage at a glance is also nice. One caveat, you lose the fuel gauge marker on the left gauge on the dash after you install the touring console.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that info. Your installation looks fantastic. I did not know about losing the fuel gauge on the dash. I could live without the fuel gauge marker, but I liked the range displayed.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Thank you for that info. Your installation looks fantastic. I did not know about losing the fuel gauge on the dash. I could live without the fuel gauge marker, but I liked the range displayed.
The range is still displayed. One other thing...the analog gauge also has a low fuel LED on it, but it lights up a little before the range changes over to "LOW".

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my RM used with the analog gauges already installed. I also only had distance to empty on the LCD on the speedometer. However, I had my bike taken in to replace the front wheel speed sensor this morning and noticed after getting my bike back that I now have the distance to empty AND fuel gauge in the LCD screen on the speedo. Might be an easy flash for your local dealership to add back after installing the analog gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
My 18 RM Elite already had them. The Fuel was on left side, Volt on right. I kept looking at the right side first for fuel, so I swapped them. :D

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealer says that the version with beige gauges is discontinued. Black gauge kits are still available. Funny thing is that Indian has loose beige gauges but will not swap them out. Plus (according to the dealer) the loose gauges cost more than the entire kit. Makes no sense to me. If anyone knows of any beige gauge kits - or wishes to sell theirs (in anticipation of selling or trading their bike), let me know. Thanks, Glenn.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
My dealer says that the version with beige gauges is discontinued. Black gauge kits are still available. Funny thing is that Indian has loose beige gauges but will not swap them out. Plus (according to the dealer) the loose gauges cost more than the entire kit. Makes no sense to me. If anyone knows of any beige gauge kits - or wishes to sell theirs (in anticipation of selling or trading their bike), let me know. Thanks, Glenn.
That really sucks. Here is the part number for the version with the beige gauges. 2881843-156

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought the gauges were a separate purchase?.... wish they made them in color for my Brilliant Blue Limited I really like them
They are included with the kit that contains a new console. Retail about $410. You also need a panel insert for about $100. So total retail is a little over $500.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
They are included with the kit that contains a new console. Retail about $410. You also need a panel insert for about $100. So total retail is a little over $500.
welllll....about that...I got mine for $297 after taxes and shipping. They were on sale at the time...:cool:

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It appears that no beige gauge kits are available nationwide. At least according to Daytona Indian who searched other dealer's inventories. None at Indian or Cheap Cycle. So... I ordered a set with black gauge faces. Not my preference but am hoping it will look OK. Will post pics assuming Coronavirus lock downs don't prevent me from picking them up at local my dealer when they receive them. Seems to me that a motorcycle dealer is an essential business, but what do I know? - I'm just a freedom loving American.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
It appears that no beige gauge kits are available nationwide. At least according to Daytona Indian who searched other dealer's inventories. None at Indian or Cheap Cycle. So... I ordered a set with black gauge faces. Not my preference but am hoping it will look OK. Will post pics assuming Coronavirus lock downs don't prevent me from picking them up at local my dealer when they receive them. Seems to me that a motorcycle dealer is an essential business, but what do I know? - I'm just a freedom loving American.
I wonder why they are discontinuing the gauges...

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good question. Maybe discontinuing them all but have some blacks remaining.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts