Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a deposit on a new FTR-S. Also gave the dealer (Daytona Beach Indian) a list of parts I wanted added. I see on Indians website that there is a compatibility issue, but the dealer didn't seem to know anything about it.
I got rear luggage rack, messenger back and rack, and the license plate relocation. It looks like the license plate bracket that mounts under the tail light is incompatible with both the messenger back rack and the luggage rack.

Anybody worked around this, or is there a different plate mount that works with the luggage mounts?

I need luggage, and I really don't think I am going to be able to deal with the plate and signals down on the back of the tire like that.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,206 Posts
I encountered this issue on the "build one" part of the website. Also looks like the high mount Akrapovic exhaust system will be allowed with the rack but the illustration shows the exhaust hanger bracket staying unattached with the luggage rack in place. Not sure about that one. For the price of the high mount exhaust the S&S Grand National high pipes aren't really that much more expensive and look better In my humble opinion.

·
Rider
1,313 Posts
The PDF installation instructions make clear the luggage rack is incompatible with the high mount license plate. Will be interesting to see what the dealership does with this. Good luck!

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
I have a OEM rack fitted and have a Moore Speed Racing tail tidy. Have a look at the FTR extras on their site. Some of them explain from a compatibility perspective what they won't work with, like the specific example below. "Does not work with: High License Plate Mount, Side Number Plate." Nevertheless there are always engineering possibilities to make it work.

·
Rider
1,313 Posts
I have a OEM rack fitted and have a Moore Speed Racing tail tidy. Have a look at the FTR extras on their site. Some of them explain from a compatibility perspective what they won't work with, like the specific example below. "Does not work with: High License Plate Mount, Side Number Plate." Nevertheless there are always engineering possibilities to make it work.

View attachment 573607
That's pretty tidy.... nicely done.

·
Rider
1,313 Posts
I need luggage, and I really don't think I am going to be able to deal with the plate and signals down on the back of the tire like that.
[/QUOTE]
Check out R&G racing. They have a much cleaner side mount option that would work with the luggage rack, as well.

·
Rider
1,313 Posts
That looks great. Think it will work with the side rack and messenger bag as well?
Here is a close up of the side rack, and it seems to sit well above the rear sprocket. Unknown how it would interact with the bag, though. Maybe K9F can post how he got the tail tidy to wok with the rack, as that seems to be a clean solution.
2883516_om.jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think this one from Aeromach Aeromach Tail Tidy will work with the luggage rack and messenger rack. They are very friendly and if you call them they probably know. They are out of stock but they said more will be available next week. It does use the holes that the messenger rack uses but I think the rack can just be fitted over the tidy.

I have one on order, I will post some pictures once I get it.

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
The tail tidy is Moore Speed's own one and it is designed to work with the rack. Mind you the amount of shit that gets thrown up in bad weather is horrendous with the original number plate appendage gone. I boarded the rack to prevent this happening. Drop Moore Speed an e-mail/call they will tell you what will and what won't work. Will try and get a closer picture of the mounting put up later.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,206 Posts
I actually wonder if a lightweight plastic or carbon fiber fender could be made to travel up & down with the swingarm/rear wheel assembly. Must be light in order to not add much unsprung weight. This would help keep the mud and road grime off the swingarm and rear shock as well as the rest of the rear portion of the bike.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The tail tidy is Moore Speed's own one and it is designed to work with the rack. Mind you the amount of shit that gets thrown up in bad weather is horrendous with the original number plate appendage gone. I boarded the rack to prevent this happening. Drop Moore Speed an e-mail/call they will tell you what will and what won't work. Will try and get a closer picture of the mounting put up later.
I love the Moore Speed tidy, machined aluminum and great looks. The reason I went with Aeromach is that you can't use the stock signals with the Moore tidy. Now that members have worked out the connecters needed and seem to understand the resistor issue, that isn't so important. I will actually probably switch to the ones that @ferraiolo1 has. I did email Moore and they got back to me in one day.

The Aeromach has been back-ordered for a while but Mark at Aeromach told me they should have them next week. Once I have it mounted I will take some photos of the mounting area.

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
I decided to ditch the front and rear indicators prior to delivery. Had Rizomas fitted on the Moore Speed Racing tail tidy and Motogadget bar end indicators and bar end glassless mirrors fitted. Must admit the bar end mirrors took a bit of getting used to as I never had them before and you can't just slide your hand sideways on and off the grips. Small thing but noticeable. Did say I would post a couple of photos of the mounting. Been busy today and got back home late, it's a bit dark and dismal in my garage but this is as good as it gets for the time being.

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
In black not silver.

·
Rider
1,331 Posts
Time was of the essence, I waited 9 months for the bike after dropping deposit and had an impending long haul trip booked three weeks after getting it. Due to timing I had everything done to the bike initially before I took delivery. The dealer cut a deal and fitted everything I wanted during PDI free of labour charge as he knew about the trip and had offered me the use of his FTR if mine wasn't ready. As a result I never got to look in the boxes to see what if anything may have been missing.

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone know of universal foot pegs that will fit the FTR? My feet tend to slip on the stock pegs when wet. Id like nice aggressive bear trap pegs - similar to the ones Pro Taper makes for the FTR - but at $280 - I figure there has to be a universal substitute. Any know of bear trap or rally style foot pegs that will fit the FTR? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts