Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Indian 8 - interesting

836 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Drifter666
Interesting historic article. Enjoy some Indian 8 motor (not produced by Indian, but fun)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Founding member / Distinguished
2,114 Posts
Interesting historic article. Enjoy some Indian 8 motor (not produced by Indian, but fun)

Thanks for posting this. I was aware that David Edwards had the bike and was planning on restoring it, but I didn't know how far he had gotten. Edwards is now editor of "The Antique Motorcycle", the journal of the Antique Motorcycle Club of America, so most likely they will publish an article about the bike when the restoration is complete.
--- Randall

· Bronze member
4,183 Posts
Don't know if I mentioned this in past or not,but up in the New Hampshire White Mountains,in the town of Lincoln, right on Rte.# 3,there is a place called Clarks' Trading Post,which has a old steam engine train ride,some rides for the kids,a restaurant to eat at,and a museum .In that museum are some really old HD's and some real old Indians on display.So if you're ever up in that area,ya might wanna stop and check em out.I did. (y)Dave!!!

· Registered
81 Posts
Cool! They need to find those old fork lights (assuming that’s what they are). I think I remember the story alluded to in the article about a guy that had an indian that he boarded up in a wall in his house to make sure it didnt get stolen while he was away,

· Founding member / Distinguished
7,164 Posts
Reminds me of a more recent bike with the Ford Flathead 60 V8. Honest Charlie's had one that only had a clutch and one speed. This one has a four speed Harley trnsmission which would be much better in my humble opinion.

· Bronze Member
1,939 Posts
Cool! They need to find those old fork lights (assuming that’s what they are). I think I remember the story alluded to in the article about a guy that had an indian that he boarded up in a wall in his house to make sure it didnt get stolen while he was away,
I think that you're thinking of the 1916 Traub motorcycle. It was a one-off build that was found inside a bricked up wall in Chicago. It resides at Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley, NC.

309 Posts
I think my dad, a tool and die maker by trade, built the first V8 motorcycle. He started the build In 1943 and completed it 18 months later. It was featured as the "Cycle of Tomorrow" in the May 1945 Motorcyclist Magazine. It was painted azure blue, not shown in the black and white photos of the period, and was never clamed to be any brand other than the "Fabio Special",
Build quality and appearance looked better than HD or Indian were putting out at the time.
The frame, springer forks, fenders and wheels were Henderson. The frame was lengthened and widened to accommodate the Ford 60 V8. Dual radiators were placed under the front safety guards. He built his own 2 speed transmission and had an electric starter. Small assembles from HD and Indian were used in various places: such as: fender lamps, speedometer housing and switches, tail light, buddy seat, footpegs and leather saddlebags. He never held the throttle open long enough to measure it's top speed but high gear would take it from a walk to top end.
The bike was sold to a collector in FL in the late 40s. If anyone know of it's current whereabouts please let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts