Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone. I'm the newest member to the Tribe. Just picked up a '19 Vintage. I'm thrilled to finally be at that stage in life where I can afford a nice bike. However, with kids in school yet, I still have to restrain myself from blowing several more thousand on Stage III mods, etc. Which brings me to my question. Coming off of a carbed bike with Cobra double barrel straight shots, they have saved my life more than once by getting the attention of oblivious drivers who can't seem to see motorcycles. I feel that having the option to make a lot of noise is a wise safety investment. I ordered V&H slip-ons, and while they sound great at idle, they lack the throttle bark to get people's attention. Removing the packing around the baffles helped, but at the sacrifice of low-mid range torque. It seems to be allowing the cylinders to scavenge too efficiently at low rpm's to be able to build enough compression. So here's where I need to pick the brains of anyone who has more information/experience than I. In theory, if the baffle was wrapped with a non-porous material as opposed to fiberglass, or better yet, lined with steel piping, (2 1/4" automotive pipe fits perfectly in there) this would/should accomplish both goals by reflecting more of the sound waves and also not allowing the exhaust to expand and drop pressure. Thoughts, suggestions?

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Greetings everyone. I'm the newest member to the Tribe. Just picked up a '19 Vintage. I'm thrilled to finally be at that stage in life where I can afford a nice bike. However, with kids in school yet, I still have to restrain myself from blowing several more thousand on Stage III mods, etc. Which brings me to my question. Coming off of a carbed bike with Cobra double barrel straight shots, they have saved my life more than once by getting the attention of oblivious drivers who can't seem to see motorcycles. I feel that having the option to make a lot of noise is a wise safety investment. I ordered V&H slip-ons, and while they sound great at idle, they lack the throttle bark to get people's attention. Removing the packing around the baffles helped, but at the sacrifice of low-mid range torque. It seems to be allowing the cylinders to scavenge too efficiently at low rpm's to be able to build enough compression. So here's where I need to pick the brains of anyone who has more information/experience than I. In theory, if the baffle was wrapped with a non-porous material as opposed to fiberglass, or better yet, lined with steel piping, (2 1/4" automotive pipe fits perfectly in there) this would/should accomplish both goals by reflecting more of the sound waves and also not allowing the exhaust to expand and drop pressure. Thoughts, suggestions?

The pipes you want are TAB. Vance and Hines are quiet pipes period, and won't get to where you want them to be.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
Big city thunder has baffles that help with that back pressure you need without sacrificing the sound....

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
The pipes you want are TAB. Vance and Hines are quiet pipes period, and won't get to where you want them to be.
I agree I played with all sorts of ways of messing with my Vance and Hines hell I even wrote up a few pages here with pictures documenting my experimentation. After months of listening to exhaust over a stereo with the base (bass?) turned off I ordered RCX slip ons as that is what I found appeals to me and I have a decatted head pipe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That seems to be the general consensus of all the posts I've been reading. Always liked the sound of V&H, plenty loud on other bikes. Didn't expect them to be THIS quite on the TS. Unfortunately, after dropping a pretty significant chunk of change on the bike, and now that the V&H's are already bought and paid for, I'm kind of relegated to working with what I've got for the time being.

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
Well the fiberglass wrap can be bought on eBay or through Vance and Hines. I can tell you from first hand experience that they are wicked loud with no wrap on them, just baffle and nothing else. They have a perforated baffle with a steel wool sleeve then the fiberglass wrap over them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the fiberglass wrap can be bought on eBay or through Vance and Hines. I can tell you from first hand experience that they are wicked loud with no wrap on them, just baffle and nothing else. They have a perforated baffle with a steel wool sleeve then the fiberglass wrap over them.
Yes, wicked loud at idle, but even with all the packing removed, it still didn't have a lot of bark at speed. Has anyone tried sleeving the inside of the baffle with smooth pipe?

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts

Here is a guy in AU that did a bunch of V&H mods

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
Have at it maybe it will work. If you type in Vance and Hines disappointment you will see my posts and pics. It might save you some time on how to get the baffles out and pics of what your going to see before you even get a chance to work them hope it helps brother.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya i read that thread this afternoon. Lots of great info. That 2nd video looks like about the same thing I was thinking except he sleeved the outside. Already have some 2 1/4" that fits perfectly on the inside, so I'm gonna give it a whirl and see how she sounds

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
The stock exhaust headers with or without cats delivers the best torque. TAB mufflers with the 2.5" baffles can give decent sound without sacrificing torque. The Zombies are straight pipes with no louvered core and are very loud and lose some torque. TAB also has a 1.75" baffle but that one is often considered too quiet but will deliver excellent torque due to the greater back pressure. TAB seems to have something for everybody.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had the same issues as the OP With choosing exhausts. I didn’t want to loose torque. I wanted loud pipes and read on this forum that people lost torque with the Tabs with Zombies (I even drove up to the factory in Nebraska). I was afraid the Tabs with 2.5 baffles wouldn’t be loud enough and I didn’t want to unwrap the baffles after buying new pipes.

After a month of listening to pipes on YouTube, I went to my local Indian dealership and listened to some Rineharts. They sounded perfect. They have a much deeper sound than the Tab Zombies and I prefer that. Additionally, I didn’t feel any loss of torque with the Rineharts.

If I were you, I would save up and buy another set of pipes after some research and then sell the V&H pipes on this forum.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thinking I found the solution. Took the 2 1/4" exhaust piping from Napa, beveled the front edge so it fits snugly at the front of the baffle where it necks down slightly and then slid it up inside the baffle. Cut it flush with the rear exit. Reinstalled and test ran it briefly in the garage. Sounds about right and has much more crisp throttle response. Have to tack weld it in place before I can do a road test. On a bike with a bigger cam and no cats it would be obnoxiously loud, but those two factors help tone it down quite a bit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sure it would, however, not even being at my 500 mile inspection, plus the bike still being under warranty, gonna have to shelf that project for a later date. What I did do though, is go to my local auto parts store and buy 4 ft of 2 1/4" exhaust pipe. I beveled the front edge and slid it up inside the baffle til it was nice and snugly centered in the front, then cut it flush with the rear of the baffle and put in a couple tack welds to keep it in place, then put the exhaust tip back on. Sounds beautiful. Mellow at idle, but barks when you need it to. Plus without the expansion of the outer chamber it maintains enough back pressure to keep the torque curve happy.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
unpack your baffles...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts