Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so my extended reach seat arrived with the "driver" backrest yesterday. I started the install on the backrest when I noticed a note at the very end that said something like "not compatible with item #XXX", that item is the extended reach seat! By the time I had figured this out the backrest bracket was already installed so I tried out each of the seats and sure enough the extended reach seats rear mount won't lock down, and the back of the seat is pretty bunched up on the bracket. One of the selling points of this bike is that it can be configured for riders of various sizes, at 6'5" it's a must for me. Something about having to modify a $350 accessory so that it will work with a $250 accessory that makes me... not happy! BTW, there is no mention of compatibility issues with these two items in any of the sales information.

So far here is the list of incompatible accessories:

1) Extended reach seat (2880240) and rider backrest (2880231-156)
2) Extended reach controls (2880238-650) and highway bars (2880229-156), "not recommended"

How about we post any more compatibility issues and what, if anything, can be done to make them work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So here's the fix I came up with figuring that they're not making an extended reach backrest any time soon if ever. I measured, layed out, and drilled two alternate mounting holes approx. .75" down from the existing holes at the mid point of the bracket. This allows the lower portion of the bracket to be captures by the washer of the lower bolt. I then added two additional washers under the aft seat mount. This moves the backrest back and up approx. 1", allows the seat to lock down, and reduces the bunch up.

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
Way to go, Jet-Tim, that's using the old noggin'. I know its frustrating when you run into stuff like that, but I can remember when almost all of the motorcycle accessories available were "universal", which meant they didn't actually fit anything! Still, for the prices they're charging...
--- Randall

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Randall, I don't mind doing a bit of fabrication and I still deal with quite a few "universal" parts on some of my other bikes, I just never had to pay that kind of money for something that doesn't work. They'll get a complaint on it, they knew it was incompatible, but didn't bother to tell anyone, not that I expect anything will come of it.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
It doesn't state it on their website about the backrest, but it does in the accessory catalog. Kinda dumb as 90%+ look on-line...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It looks good and if it works fine then congrats....... Sounds like the old days of making choppers but they should have this all worked out. It can't hurt to send letter plus I am sure this site is monitored by someone for polaris.....

·
Early joiner
77 Posts
OK, so my extended reach seat arrived with the "driver" backrest yesterday. I started the install on the backrest when I noticed a note at the very end that said something like "not compatible with item #XXX", that item is the extended reach seat! By the time I had figured this out the backrest bracket was already installed so I tried out each of the seats and sure enough the extended reach seats rear mount won't lock down, and the back of the seat is pretty bunched up on the bracket. One of the selling points of this bike is that it can be configured for riders of various sizes, at 6'5" it's a must for me. Something about having to modify a $350 accessory so that it will work with a $250 accessory that makes me... not happy! BTW, there is no mention of compatibility issues with these two items in any of the sales information.

So far here is the list of incompatible accessories:

1) Extended reach seat (2880240) and rider backrest (2880231-156)
2) Extended reach controls (2880238-650) and highway bars (2880229-156), "not recommended"

How about we post any more compatibility issues and what, if anything, can be done to make them work.
Hello, how does that extended reach seat feel? More comfortable? I found the stock seat a bit painfull after an hour ride. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey there Joe s! The seat certainly makes things more comfortable for those of us who are tall, but I've got to say that the backrest limits the "extended reach" function by pushing you forward. I may rethink the installation and try a different modification.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey there Joe s! The seat certainly makes things more comfortable for those of us who are tall, but I've got to say that the backrest limits the "extended reach" function by pushing you forward. I may rethink the installation and try a different modification.
I have a back set rest also and I noticed that the bottom has a velcro closure. I wonder if you removed a bit of padding and then the pad would not be pushing against you. Just a a thought...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm thinking of remaking the mount to set the backrest back a couple of additional inches. The mod I've already done has reduced the bunch up and given an extra inch or so, but its not quite enough.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm thinking of remaking the mount to set the backrest back a couple of additional inches. The mod I've already done has reduced the bunch up and given an extra inch or so, but its not quite enough.
Good Luck! That is what having a bike is all about. Nothing is perfect until we do it our way!

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Went by my dealer this morning and they had the seat for the taller guys in stock and I requested to put the seat on my bike!

A few minutes later they had my money.

I'm not tall, but the seat is MUCH more comfortable than the stock seat!

On the seat that came with the bike the tip of my spine was centered on top of the seat more than being IN the seat, and caused a lot of pain on the longer rides.
The extended reach put me INTO the seat and not on top of the seat. It also slightly extended my legs for a less cramped riding feeling!
Glad I went by their shop! Any one need an original seat.... barely used, cheap! :D

·
Early joiner
77 Posts
Went by my dealer this morning and they had the seat for the taller guys in stock and I requested to put the seat on my bike!

On the seat that came with the bike the tip of my spine was centered on top of the seat more than being IN the seat, and caused a lot of pain on the longer rides.
The extended reach put me INTO the seat and not on top of the seat. It also slightly extended my legs for a less cramped riding feeling!
Glad I went by their shop! Any one need an original seat.... barely used, cheap! :D
Thanks for the info. Will definetely need to get an upgraded seat!

·
Early joiner
77 Posts
Great info, I do appreciate it!

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Thanks for the info. Will definetely need to get an upgraded seat!

I've put about a hundred miles on the new seat and it really has changed the ride for me and I still like the feel!
I'm much more comfortable and pot holes seem a little less bone jarring! :)

·
Early joiner
77 Posts
That is great to hear. I put 100 miles on mine in one day - right after Christmas and realized immediately I need some seat work. I totally get this bike is not supposed to be an "all day rider" like my HD ultra, but every extra bit of comfort upgrades will make it even more enjoyable. Can't wait for this weather to break in PA! I do appreciate all of your comments (and also everyone else's) in this forum. Great info!

·
Registered
228 Posts

Thanks for being the "Guinea Pig" I was thinking myself that the extended reach seat may be more comfortable, even for us short and stout guys!

I am going to try one also. Did it come with an engraved Indian Logo?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts