Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you are die-hards and ride in all kinds of weather. We even tend to squeeze as much as we can out of the season, but this is ridiculous! Zero degrees today..

Because we feel like we know a "little" bit about extreme weather riding thought I would share with you some of the things we have learned....Just in case you are up for an adventure.

'Extreme' Winter Motorcycle Riding

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've seen a few riders like this out and about here in MN...but no thanks! Too high of risk. I'll just rack up the miles from March-November.

·
Registered
593 Posts
-10 on Saturday in ND...no f'n way.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Air temps of minus 15 to 20 below with wind chills around a minus 30 deg F are not conducive to enjoying yourself on a bike ride regardless of how you are dressed.[hungover]

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Wow! I cant imagine riding here with 12 inches of snow and minus 20, with windchill, feels like minis 30(apparently). Bring in the wind and im staying close to the woodstove. Keep my ass warm one way or another! For those that can,
Ride safe

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Was out riding this past weekend here in the Texas Hill Country, was in the 50s and I wore all my winter gear, any temps below 60 is cold for me in this part of Texas.

Zero degrees, you can keep it.

>--------> >--------> >-------->

Live Free and Die Well

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was in the 50s in Las Vegas last weekend. Me and a lot of other riders were out and about. Had all my winter gear on and was quite comfortable. I'm enjoying it while I can cause I know how I'll feel when the summer temperatures arrive.

·
Founding member
1,048 Posts
+1 Roadie. Anything below 55-60 and I wear my heated gear. I don't have to plug it in until it goes super cold at 50, or so, but I have to be prepared. :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
28 degrees is my coldest ride thus far.
I haven't had the desire to try colder rides.
Although, in the morning it will be 8 degrees and I can't help but think of trying it.

I don't have heated gear.
Just leather chaps and jacket.
Heated grips and seat are wonderful.

But I digress.
F##k it.
I'll drive my truck.

·
Silver member
5,381 Posts
+1 Roadie. Anything below 55-60 and I wear my heated gear. I don't have to plug it in until it goes super cold at 50, or so, but I have to be prepared. :)
How long does it take your heated gear to warm up?

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
NFW - anything less than 55 is damned cold. Someone posted a windchill chart on the site. Whatever 55 is at 65 mph is dang cold to me even with all the gear

·
Founding member
570 Posts
Bike is parked in the garage, but I still spend nine hours a day working outside. 11 degrees outside, looking for a high of 18. Funny thing about working outside for 40+ years, I almost never get sick like indoor folks.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
NFW - anything less than 55 is damned cold. Someone posted a windchill chart on the site. Whatever 55 is at 65 mph is dang cold to me even with all the gear
This chart doesn't go as low as your talking.. But I know exposed flesh will freeze at some point.

In Phoenix it's been in the 30's in the morning and on a bike that's close to Zero with windchill.

Text Font Pattern

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Here is one that does.. and the source for reference
Mountaineering

View attachment 31076
Exellent artical...

I like how it tells you to dress for weather..

In recent years have got away from leather, because it's either hot or cold.. And doesn't breathe.

I actually wear textiles (technical clothing) and find it far more comfortable down the road for extended periods.. (I have done some backpacking) and been exposed to high tech textiles..

Places like "Cycle Gear" carry such textiles at surprisingly low prices..

I have a pair of gloves from them.."textile"

That are warmer then the most expensive winter leather goves from HD.. And only 20 bucks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts