Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new bike. Looking at all the big boys, HD, Indian, even BMW. Indian has a lot going for it but I had a few questions.

1. There are some left over 2019's floating around for what seem to be decent prices. Granted they all come with 111's and I would rather have a 116. But if I buy one of these and do the big bore kit, is the performance the same or is there a difference to the new 2020's with a stock 116?

2. Challenger has my interest piqued but seeing a lot of threads and videos about misfire's and surging. Is this that prevalent or is does it seem to be a few bikes that a lot of people are making noise about?

3. What exactly is the difference between a standard chieftain and the Limited/Dark Horse. (not color I really could care less about color tbh.) What features are on one an not the other. FYI if I did get the standard I would want Ride Command/Navigation on it. But I really can find a list that states the differences.

I know I could go to my local dealership and get these answers but I'm still about a month away from buying and I used to work retail so not ready to go waste someone's time on a bike I may not buy based on features alone.

Thanks,

Ayrok

·
Bronze member
3,349 Posts
1. The 111 made into a 116 has more power than the 116 standard / the 116 with stage II is equal
2. It's some and not all... numbers are unknown at this point... but one member Arapaho has 10K on his without any problems... having said all that Indian is supposed to have a fix out now and if you're waiting anyway keep reading the Challenger section to see if the fix is in fact a fix
3. no locking hard bags, no crash bar, no Ride Command, no bag fillers, no TPMS might be more can't remember off of the top of my head

·
Administrator
14,699 Posts
What he said! If you place a premium on reliability and long rides (my favored criteria), I would hold off on the Challenger — we’re just not sure the mothership knows what the issues are yet. Much debate and some very informative threads when you get the time. (Check “Challenger” section.). Jury is still out IMHO. Around 20% have problems.

But if you live close to a dealer, aren’t planning any long trips soon, and don’t mind some down time for possible warranty work (emphasize the word “possible” ) then the increase in power and handling make Challenger worth a hard look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts