Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new bike. Looking at all the big boys, HD, Indian, even BMW. Indian has a lot going for it but I had a few questions.

1. There are some left over 2019's floating around for what seem to be decent prices. Granted they all come with 111's and I would rather have a 116. But if I buy one of these and do the big bore kit, is the performance the same or is there a difference to the new 2020's with a stock 116?

2. Challenger has my interest piqued but seeing a lot of threads and videos about misfire's and surging. Is this that prevalent or is does it seem to be a few bikes that a lot of people are making noise about?

3. What exactly is the difference between a standard chieftain and the Limited/Dark Horse. (not color I really could care less about color tbh.) What features are on one an not the other. FYI if I did get the standard I would want Ride Command/Navigation on it. But I really can find a list that states the differences.

I know I could go to my local dealership and get these answers but I'm still about a month away from buying and I used to work retail so not ready to go waste someone's time on a bike I may not buy based on features alone.

Thanks,

Ayrok

·
Bronze member
2,658 Posts
1. I believe the big bore kit is different that the stock 116.
2. There were some that had a misfire code thrown on their Challenger. IM has supposedly identified the problem and issued a fix.
3. Standard Chieftain vs Darkhorse. Same bike, but Darkhorse only comes in matte paint and blacked out engine, exhausts, bars, etc. Darkhorse doesn’t come stock with engine guards. If like the Challenger, there are fillers between the saddle bags and fender...these fillers are stock on the Limited and not included on the DH. Ride Command navigation can be added to the base model on the Challenger, so I’m sure it’s the same on the Chieftain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far I’m seeing just the central locking feature heated grips, filler panels and nav as the biggest differences in the models. Matte or chrome I don’t really count unless you just want a shiny or blacked out look. That’s not a lot for the difference in price really

·
Bronze member
2,658 Posts
So far I’m seeing just the central locking feature heated grips, filler panels and nav as the biggest differences in the models. Matte or chrome I don’t really count unless you just want a shiny or blacked out look. That’s not a lot for the difference in price really
None of the Chieftains come stock with heated grips. And I made a mistake earlier...the DH does have engine guards stock, according to the pic in the IM website. I would think the DH also has electronic bag locks.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
1. There are some left over 2019's floating around for what seem to be decent prices. Granted they all come with 111's and I would rather have a 116. But if I buy one of these and do the big bore kit, is the performance the same or is there a difference to the new 2020's with a stock 116?

For a while the 116 big bore kit was their only offering. In the beginning there were a few engines that broke their conrods and sent them through the side of the motor. Those bikes were repaired, and Indian then had a recall on existing 116 kits to install bulked up conrods. Future kits included those heavier conrods.

Then they put out the 116 bikes, but there are differences. The stock 116 bike has the bigger bore, bigger conrods, different valve springs. But they don't have the high performance cams, injectors, or throttle body, and they don't have hiflow air cleaner or pipes.

Alongside the 116 bikes they have the performance kit that takes the stock bike to max power. This kit includes cams, injectors and bigger throttle body for about $800.

Stage 1 pipes are $700.
Stage 1 air cleaner is $520.

So you now have three options.
1. Buy a 111 bike and add the 116 kit for about $3,000. You also need to buy hiflow air cleaner and pipes, $1220
2. Buy a 116 bike.
3. Buy a 116 bike and add the performance kit for $800. You also need to buy hiflow air cleaner and pipes, $1220.

Options 1 and 3 give max power. Option 2 is not max power.

·
Rider
442 Posts
1. The 116 big bore kit is more radical than a stock 2020 116. Although it's quite expensive to do a big bore kit because you also need to buy an air cleaner, exhaust and have it installed but I'm about 95% sure the cams in the kit vs the stock 116 are different as I've heard them both and the 2020 116 sounds just as smooth as 111 and doesn't sound cammed. You can buy a stage 2 kit for the 116 now for $800 plus install and it comes with injectors, throttle body and cams but even with that you need exhaust and air cleaner.

2. The Challenger bugs will be worked out soon and 1st run bikes in my opinion are never a smart decision because you just never know until they've been around long enough to prove themselves

3. Standard Chieftain is pretty much the same bike as all other chieftains but you do lose some options. Standard does not come with electronic locking bags, navigation, tpms, highways bars and maybe some other small things you'll never notice missing but I'm pretty sure I listed all the things missing.

Darkhorse and Limited are the same bike with chrome vs blacked out and matte vs gloss paint

Standard Challenger loses all things above plus the new smart lean system and lighted warbonnet on front fender.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Bro, for the discounting alone, the 19 Chieftain Limited is currently a steal. I bought one for only $19,750 including shipping, setup and paperwork in December. The hp and torque are about the same between the 2020 and the 2019. It’s doubtful anyone could feel the measly 6 or 7ft lbs of difference. But your wallet can tell the difference for sure. Get the 19!

It’s a friggin awesome bike from the comfort and handling aspect. Just don’t take it to the drag strip because they are sloooow.

The differences between the Chieftain are stated by NessScout above plus the following (2019 models):

No bag fillers between the bags and rear fender on the base Chieftain. This cleans up the look from the backend and reduces dirt and grime on the back of the bike.

The inner ferring is painted to match the bike on the Chieftain Limited and Darkhorse. It’s flat black on the Base Chieftain.

Also, I’m not sure if the Base Chieftain has an LED headlight. Maybe someone else here could answer that one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bro, for the discounting alone, the 19 Chieftain Limited is currently a steal. I bought one for only $19,750 including shipping, setup and paperwork in December. The hp and torque are about the same between the 2020 and the 2019. It’s doubtful anyone could feel the measly 6 or 7ft lbs of difference. But your wallet can tell the difference for sure. Get the 19!

It’s a friggin awesome bike from the comfort and handling aspect. Just don’t take it to the drag strip because they are sloooow.

The differences between the Chieftain are stated by NessScout above plus the following (2019 models):

No bag fillers between the bags and rear fender on the base Chieftain. This cleans up the look from the backend and reduces dirt and grime on the back of the bike.

The inner ferring is painted to match the bike on the Chieftain Limited and Darkhorse. It’s flat black on the Base Chieftain.

Also, I’m not sure if the Base Chieftain has an LED headlight. Maybe someone else here could answer that one.

Good luck!
I have a 2019 base Chieftain. It has a crappy halogen light that you will want to change sooner than later. Easy enough to change out with plenty of aftermarket options.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I'm in the market for a new bike. Looking at all the big boys, HD, Indian, even BMW. Indian has a lot going for it but I had a few questions.

2. Challenger has my interest piqued but seeing a lot of threads and videos about misfire's and surging. Is this that prevalent or is does it seem to be a few bikes that a lot of people are making noise about?

3. What exactly is the difference between a standard chieftain and the Limited/Dark Horse. (not color I really could care less about color tbh.) What features are on one an not the other. FYI if I did get the standard I would want Ride Command/Navigation on it. But I really can find a list that states the differences.

I know I could go to my local dealership and get these answers but I'm still about a month away from buying and I used to work retail so not ready to go waste someone's time on a bike I may not buy based on features alone.

Thanks,

Ayrok
I have many friends who work in the HD industry that have been down in Daytona right since the start. One said its Challenger city. 2 of them I have that friendly rivalry relationship with who would probably be searching for Indian problems and they would LOVE to tell me about problems.. they haven't reported anything, but that there's a challenger going past every 5 minutes, and that 10 or so vendors have them in display.
In short, remember this is the first stop for unhappy people with questions, looking for support and that issues here NEVER reflect the real world but rather the worst case scenario.
Cheers

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
Yep the negative stuff always appears here first and foremost. That doesn't necessarily represent the vast majority though. Troubling, yeah maybe so but not overwhelming. Bad for those having problems definitely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts