Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
crazy world, in the German Indian Website no 111 occurs anymore. Comparing that with the US site, that means you get the classic Springfield and all Vintage Models with the 116. Sounds nice, but hard to believe that. Reason could be new pollution regulatories, I don't know. But it is interesting! .....If that would be really true, what I doubt and if someone from the US would like to import a classic 116 Springfield, forget it. Indians are here much more expensive than in the US. The classic Springfield cost in the US $21,999 and in Germany 33.254,46 $.

Bregs, Björn

·
Administrator
20,552 Posts
Well, that sux... By now most of the bugs on the 116 have been worked out, but having a lower-priced alternative with over a million hours of testing and real-world proven reliability would sure be nice. Indian is upselling hard.

·
Founding member
1,063 Posts
Am I missing something here? The 116, without the big bore, stages, etc., is just the 111 bored out with 5 more cu. in. for the same price or just a model year increase. A little bigger engine with some improvement in the heads I believe. The 111's aren't sold anymore. Where is the 'upselling'?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sure it is not a new engine, but everything above the crankshaft is modified. Meanwhile also the heads (High Flow Heads). I did not understand the 2020 and 2021 product policy anyway. Why offering the fairing models and just the Springfield Darkhorse with 116 and all the rest, the classic Springfield and all the Vintage Models including the Vintage Darkhorse in 111? If you are interested in a classic Springfield with Chrome with a bit more power. You don't get it. Pricewise it is much cheaper to buy a Darkhorse 116 Springfield and with just 900 USD you can upgrade it to the current maximum power level with the stage 2 kit for the stock 116s. If you want the same displacement and power with your brand new classic 2021 111 Springfield, you have to pay almost 3000 USD for the BBK for the 2021 111 models. Is that understandable in any way?..............And in addition to that, in Germany you get a 2021 classic Chrome Springfield with 116 as stock?...Probably the German website is just wrong due to mistake, if not (means, a chrome 2021 Springfield is in Germany really available with a stock 116), I do not understand that policy further more. ....and don't get we wrong, I am not angry or worried about anything, it is just interesting, quite confusing and a bit odd. ....also look at the accessory parts. Meanwhile are 4 different Big Bore Kits available!......And none of them officially in Europe because not allowed :-(

·
Registered
410 Posts
In the photos for the Classic Springfield on the German website, it shows a 111 in the last photo, not a 116. Now maybe that’s just because they are using stock photos from the American Indian site, but I don’t see that last photo on our Indian website.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a German Buddy told me earlier it is can be true, due to upcoming EURO 5 Norm, which is stronger than current EURO 4 and maybe the 116 displacement can fulfil it better than the 111 does. All specs from all Thunder Stroke bikes in Germany are all 116s. Same in the Austrian, UK and French website.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
a German Buddy told me earlier it is can be true, due to upcoming EURO 5 Norm, which is stronger than current EURO 4 and maybe the 116 displacement can fulfil it better than the 111 does. All specs from all Thunder Stroke bikes in Germany are all 116s. Same in the Austrian, UK and French website.
So it isn't up selling, it's emissions compliance. It's getting tougher all the time. Lineup is neat and streamlined for lowest cost too. Totally makes sense

·
German rider
796 Posts
Harley has realized then they lost a competitor with the ending of the 111.

So they will not offer 750/883/1200 Sportys from 01.01.2021 in Europe.

(Yes, of course it's emission)

·
Silver member
3,701 Posts
Why offering the fairing models and just the Springfield Darkhorse with 116 and all the rest, the classic Springfield and all the Vintage Models including the Vintage Darkhorse in 111?
Is that understandable in any way?
Sure, they have some left over 111 engines to use up. This sort of phase out strategy is quite common in the industry.

·
Registered
718 Posts
sure it is not a new engine, but everything above the crankshaft is modified. Meanwhile also the heads (High Flow Heads). I did not understand the 2020 and 2021 product policy anyway. Why offering the fairing models and just the Springfield Darkhorse with 116 and all the rest, the classic Springfield and all the Vintage Models including the Vintage Darkhorse in 111? If you are interested in a classic Springfield with Chrome with a bit more power. You don't get it. Pricewise it is much cheaper to buy a Darkhorse 116 Springfield and with just 900 USD you can upgrade it to the current maximum power level with the stage 2 kit for the stock 116s. If you want the same displacement and power with your brand new classic 2021 111 Springfield, you have to pay almost 3000 USD for the BBK for the 2021 111 models. Is that understandable in any way?..............And in addition to that, in Germany you get a 2021 classic Chrome Springfield with 116 as stock?...Probably the German website is just wrong due to mistake, if not (means, a chrome 2021 Springfield is in Germany really available with a stock 116), I do not understand that policy further more. ....and don't get we wrong, I am not angry or worried about anything, it is just interesting, quite confusing and a bit odd. ....also look at the accessory parts. Meanwhile are 4 different Big Bore Kits available!......And none of them officially in Europe because not allowed :-(
And that the designers of the new Indian models or Smoking crack and cooking up meth. Those stupid Walmart edition Harley-Davidson knock-offs are just plain ugly

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
The EU is also trying to crack down on exhaust noise in some parts, as well. There are certain towns in Austria that the police will pull you over if your bike is too loud. There are proposals on the books in Germany to ban motorcycling on Sundays and holidays.

Reactions: Demolition Man

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If I’m not mistaken wasn’t the only bike in the states for 2020 a classic with the 111”. Everything else I thought was 116”. Well the classic is now gone that’s really to bad. I do prefer those way sturdier saddle bags and locomotive fairing. For myself they offer nothing at the moment that works for me. Which is ok too still love my 18 limited. I guess if you want a classic your forced to buy a RM classic and pull the rest of the stuff off it. Kind of like a Harley move when they eliminated the ElectraGlide and forced everyone to go Ultra Classic. $3700 for stuff you didn’t want to begin with oh well !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3 models in 2021 have still the 111 in the US line up: Vintage, Vintage Darkhorse and Springfield (classic). All other models have also in the US the 116. .....And these three models seems to have in Europe also the 116 in the 2021 line up.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,048 Posts
This is exactly what Victory did whenever they increased the engine displacement. The top models got them first then the lower ones in the line up would get them later on. Victory went from 92 cubic inches to 100 with a bore increase then later to a 106 with a stroker crankshaft. Prior to these engines becoming in the line up the kits were available from S&S back at that time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I spotted a Chieftain limited with some very low miles for sale in the Ruby Red Metallic and was disappointed they only offered this color with the 111 and now the limiteds get the 116 but they don't offer the awesome red metallic color.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts