Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, hope you're still getting some good riding time in.
I always dread the Fall cause you know Old Man Winter will be visiting soon.
Here in South Dakota we just had a cold spell and SNOW in early Sept...good times, NOT!. :-D ;-)

Anyhow, I have questions as it relates to the Indian Motorcycle Riders Group.
WHERE does the money go?...and just HOW does it benefit the paying Members of the Group?

I have been a paying Member since I've bought my bike. At first I got a watch and with my Hendee Plus
membership I got a cheap-o sign. Being a resident of South Dakota and only a few miles from Sturgis has
it's underlying benefits so there was a time they had a dinner and tickets to a Flat Track race at the
Buffalo Chip. THAT was real cool and I had a great time but that is pretty much the extent of the benefits
I've seen as a member of this group.

This year they decided to upgrade memberships to "Elite Status". I'm not sure what the benefit over the
Hendee Plus membership I already paid for was but OK. They sent an email out about the Sturgis Rally
and that if you were planning on going to stop by the Dealer for an "Elite Status gift". Being a local, of
course I was going to stop by, irrespective of the gift, but seeing as how it was a thing, why not? I went
to the Dealer TWICE. The first time there was nobody at the "tent" and the second time, the girl at the
tent acted as if she had no idea what I was talking about. I ended with a "promo" T-Shirt, courtesy of the
Manger, which I had already gotten one for going on a Demo Ride at the Corporate Demo location so
I got two "Challenger" t-shirts and I don't ride a Challenger. Needless to say, I was less than impressed.

This situation got me to thinking though. WHERE does the money go?...HOW does it benefit paying Members?
I belong to another club and there I know exactly where & what for they money is being used. You know
they discontinued the Roadside Assistance program...which I didn't have use for anyway but really, what's the scoop?
Have they released financial reports?...if so I haven't seen anything. This really should be done at least
once a year. Transparency = legitimacy/honesty. How are we to know anything if we aren't told anything.

If anyone has info, please enlighten me. I sincerely would like to know. The website really doesn't cover much.

Thanks Brothers & Sisters!
May the road treat you well!

·
Rider
946 Posts
I have paid two years in a row and now have the Hendee Plus. I have not seen any Elite status letter or email. I have not seen or heard from IMRG chapter in months and I posted on the facebook page and the guy that used to run the rides referred me to the dealer. I called the dealer and they said Indian has put a hold on everything IMRG because of COVID. So basically here we are getting.....................15% off Indian accessories that are so expensive that with the discount it's still more expensive than everwhere else. I'm not paying Indian prices to be a billboard for them.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,912 Posts
The benefits are all local.
IMRG National had the opportunity to use owners for free advertising, sales, and promotion, but decided to get greedy and turn a profit on IMRG as well as getting the benefits for the company.
I came in on the ground floor, started a chapter, we worked our asses off to keep National happy and ended up being tasked with paying the liability insurance for our chapter, IMRG National and Polaris. Then Polaris decided to be generous and stop charging membership dues.

I went with the Indian Owners Association. We ride, have minimal dues, and just enjoy Indian motorcycles and the fellowship of owning one.

·
Bronze member
3,640 Posts
I'm a Elite member... and can be for awhile when I bought my 18 Limited members received $1500 off of the bike plus it could be used on top of any other promo.. that one benefit is worth years of membership to me... maybe they'll do it again in the future, I don't know... and they sent me a e mail during my birthday month for $25 bucks off Indian parts or accessories... used it on a oil change kit..I still like getting the magazines and I think they are nice... sure a lot of rah rah advertising but still some decent articles and put together well.. I really don't care were the money goes to be honest if I like what I'm getting I'm OK with it unless it's going to some stupid social justice bull shit which I doubt... I think I get my monies worth... and when they changed the IRMG up didn't they get rid of the insurance requirement for the chapters?

·
2,912 Posts
I think I get my monies worth... and when they changed the IRMG up didn't they get rid of the insurance requirement for the chapters?
I knew every IMRG National Director until Kaylene Quigley left. We had great relationships. At my last involvement, they instituted requiring Chapters to have liability insurance that would cover the chapter, IMRG National, and Polaris. I begged them to not do this as they were going to lose members. The new director and his/her team made it a practice to hide from members/officers and avoid contact. I did tell them that if I left, I would leave for good and forever. I did.
The last thing that I heard was that individual dues had been dropped to national, but insurance was still required.
I will never again be a member of the IMRG in any way.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It sucks, all the negative comments about IMRG. This is a missed opportunity for Indian ... I don't know what they are thinking.... or not thinking. The things they could do with this but yet they are doing nothing. Instead of making it a "must / I need to join" type of thing they have turned it into a "why waste my money"

·
Registered
2008 Victory Vision 2016 Victory Vision 2020 Indian Challenger
840 Posts
The benefits are all local.
I've been a founding officer in a founding IMRG Chapter (1910) since day one, and I'm on my third new Indian, so I haven't paid a nickel yet. That being said, as far as I'm concerned the only reason to be a member is to get involved in a LOCAL IMRG group.

Since 2014, we've built a core group of riders that have become very close friends in our brotherhood and sisterhood. As a group we've done the Indian Jack Daniels rides a number of times, other Indian events and COUNTLESS other road trips including some 5,000 and 6,000 mile trips. There are a handful of them I would trust with my life. If it hadn't been for Indian and IMRG we would never have met.

And there you have it. :cool:
Social group Team Youth Event Crew
Number Symbol Emblem

·
2,912 Posts
I've been a founding officer in a founding IMRG Chapter (1910) since day one, and I'm on my third new Indian, so I haven't paid a nickel yet. That being said, as far as I'm concerned the only reason to be a member is to get involved in a LOCAL IMRG group.

Since 2014, we've built a core group of riders that have become very close friends in our brotherhood and sisterhood. As a group we've done the Indian Jack Daniels rides a number of times, other Indian events and COUNTLESS other road trips including some 5,000 and 6,000 mile trips. There are a handful of them I would trust with my life. If it hadn't been for Indian and IMRG we would never have met.

And there you have it. :cool:
View attachment 605090 View attachment 605091
I agree with everything that you posted. I’m still on my 2014, so I only got one free year. The National dues weren’t bad, the insurance was the thing that just completely turned me away. Polaris is a billion dollar corporation and they expect their customers to pay liability insurance for the company. Absolutely insane and purely greedy.
After I quit my local chapter and went IOA, the local chapter pretty much died in Pensacola. I was in the shop a few months ago for service and there were three IMRG members there for a meeting. None of them rode their motorcycles on a beautiful sunny day in Florida. They wandered around for a few hours and left. I never even saw a meeting.
Most of the local IMRG members followed me to the IOA and we are doing okay. This year has been hard on us, like everyone, but we’re still in, we’re still sponsoring two Miracle League baseball teams and we still get together for an occasional RTE.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Our dealer has taken it over. Pay small fee to keep the donuts, coffee, and barbeque coming. We have about 35 paid members. IMRG is not involved to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
2008 Victory Vision 2016 Victory Vision 2020 Indian Challenger
840 Posts
I agree with everything that you posted. I’m still on my 2014, so I only got one free year. The National dues weren’t bad, the insurance was the thing that just completely turned me away. Polaris is a billion dollar corporation and they expect their customers to pay liability insurance for the company. Absolutely insane and purely greedy.
Golly, I forgot about the insurance nonsense. We all knew that would be a disaster AND I called it that Indian (Polaris) would make big changes to IMRG after that. Polaris also screwed the pooch with the old Victory Riders Association. Polaris has great engineering and production but some of the customer service dealings are... off.

Here's a weird story... We moved to East TN recently and the wife and I went to our new gun range. There was only one other guy there. My wife was wearing an Indian shirt and the guy commented on it. Turns out he's the president of the local IMRG Chapter! Small world!

As I often say, you never knew when you're going to meet your new best friend.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm involved with the local IMRG here in NW Atlanta for about 3 years. We agreed to donate local "dues" to a charity that first year and have not paid local dues since. National dues were nixed last year at some point, so now we don't pay dues either locally or nationally. I have no idea where the national dues went. We do group rides, fund raisers, rallies, and charity events. The associated dealership extends a 15% discount on merchandise and parts to active members.

I've always wondered about the need for liability insurance as we sign a liability waiver for every ride.

Sad to hear, but not surprised, that others have had bad experiences with IMRG. I agree that the web site is atrocious.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts