Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty frustrated with Indian Corporate regarding their lack of interest in making membership to IMRG worthwhile. At this point, I really don't understand what the purpose of the club (is that what it is?) is or what we should expect to benefit from it. I'll start off by saying that my local dealership (Shreveport, LA) is very proactive it making our local IMRG work. But corporately, I just think they don't care.

One of the membership perks, I thought, was getting a discount at dealerships on merchandise or parts/accessories. (I get this at my local dealership). I just got back from Sturgis and went by the Indian tent, where they had lots of merchandise for sale. I asked if IMRG members got the discount and was told no. I asked to speak to someone from corporate and was introduced to the lady that heads up the IMRG. I asked why they wouldn't offer the discount to members at the corporate tent. I'll just politely say that she showed no interest in anything I had to say. She offered no explanation but tried to sell me a line of BS about how they give us perks like the Jack Daniel's Ride and so forth. I told her that was great but it only benefited those few who attend plus we had to pay for the honor of getting that perk.

I also asked why all dealerships don't offer an IMRG discount to members after the Sturgis dealership advised that they wouldn't give me a discount on merch I bought from them. She said that only some dealerships offer discounts and most of those only offer the discounts at certain times....whatever that means.

I guess the most disappointing thing is that Indian corporate just proved that they don't give a crap. I'm really trying to understand what I get from Indian for my dues. Personally, I think the coupon discount thing that they're doing now is a waste. And have you seen the IMRG merchandise they're offering??? Is anyone buying the IMRG gift wrapping paper on the website? Do they really think we want to buy wrapping paper for some ridiculous price???? I wish Indian would understand that we could benefit from each other. But they don't and I seriously doubt I'll renew my membership when it comes up.

·
Bronze member
3,633 Posts
I'm pretty frustrated with Indian Corporate regarding their lack of interest in making membership to IMRG worthwhile. At this point, I really don't understand what the purpose of the club (is that what it is?) is or what we should expect to benefit from it. I'll start off by saying that my local dealership (Shreveport, LA) is very proactive it making our local IMRG work. But corporately, I just think they don't care.

One of the membership perks, I thought, was getting a discount at dealerships on merchandise or parts/accessories. (I get this at my local dealership). I just got back from Sturgis and went by the Indian tent, where they had lots of merchandise for sale. I asked if IMRG members got the discount and was told no. I asked to speak to someone from corporate and was introduced to the lady that heads up the IMRG. I asked why they wouldn't offer the discount to members at the corporate tent. I'll just politely say that she showed no interest in anything I had to say. She offered no explanation but tried to sell me a line of BS about how they give us perks like the Jack Daniel's Ride and so forth. I told her that was great but it only benefited those few who attend plus we had to pay for the honor of getting that perk.

I also asked why all dealerships don't offer an IMRG discount to members after the Sturgis dealership advised that they wouldn't give me a discount on merch I bought from them. She said that only some dealerships offer discounts and most of those only offer the discounts at certain times....whatever that means.

I guess the most disappointing thing is that Indian corporate just proved that they don't give a crap. I'm really trying to understand what I get from Indian for my dues. Personally, I think the coupon discount thing that they're doing now is a waste. And have you seen the IMRG merchandise they're offering??? Is anyone buying the IMRG gift wrapping paper on the website? Do they really think we want to buy wrapping paper for some ridiculous price???? I wish Indian would understand that we could benefit from each other. But they don't and I seriously doubt I'll renew my membership when it comes up.

Pretty much true in all of the above. Polaris is a Wall Street Corporation, IMRG does not benefit them in any financial way. Some will say but it advertises the brand. The majority of members already have an Indian so big deal. The Dues pay for the crappy free gifts you get and silly patches. That's why they dropped the towing, people actually used it and that cost money.

But if you go to the IMRG site, it tells you what you get, which amounts to nothing really. Indian Motorcycle®

Now every now and again a IMRG membership will get you a big discount on buying a new bike during the Jan-March months.

But many people want to belong to something, and IMRG gives them that.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,842 Posts
The biggest benefit to the IMRG is it allows yo to be a member of a local IMRG club. If you don't want to be involved with a local riding club then no reason to buy the IMRG membership. Indian is on the expensive side and I think they want to stay that way. It just means we are fortunate to afford such gorgeous bikes. If you just want to ride and don't care about the Indian Motorcycle culture, there are many great bikes out there to choose from. By the way officers in a local club get free membership so you might consider that. I understand your sentiment but Indian is playing the elite card and we can choose to play or not.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
The benefits offered through IMRG are a joke, and therefore I’m no longer interested in throwing my money away.

·
Bronze member
3,633 Posts
The biggest benefit to the IMRG is it allows yo to be a member of a local IMRG club. If you don't want to be involved with a local riding club then no reason to buy the IMRG membership. Indian is on the expensive side and I think they want to stay that way. It just means we are fortunate to afford such gorgeous bikes. If you just want to ride and don't care about the Indian Motorcycle culture, there are many great bikes out there to choose from. By the way officers in a local club get free membership so you might consider that. I understand your sentiment but Indian is playing the elite card and we can choose to play or not.

There are lots of IMRG clubs that have nothing to do with IMRG (which technically makes then not IMRG), just a group of Indian riders who like to ride and no BS.

·
Rider
907 Posts
Let me say that being an IMRG member saved me an additional $1,000 dollars when I bought my bike along with an additional $500 dollars in free parts with the refer a friend coupon I just received.

I would say that was well worth the IIRC $55 dollars I paid for my membership and a second year free membership when I bought the bike. Four times a year Indian offers IMRG members special offers that others do not get.

Oh and the free T-shirt and hat that they send you with the refer a friend coupon.

Well worth it!

·
Bronze member
3,039 Posts
I joined before I bought my Limited for $55 and got 1500 off that could be combined with any other offer... I didn't trade my ride in but I could have received another 1500 plus what ever the bike was worth... as it was I got the 750 hero's part.. well worth $55... and if I would have been thinking I would have bought the quick mount trunk rack (Roadmaster Classic type) for about $250... only available to IRMG members... I figure if they offer that 1500 again (and it was wide open any heavy weight model any year) being a member is cheap... especially if it happens and I like that Challenger..

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Silver member
4,800 Posts
I did not renew this year since they dropped the not so perfect tow package. However, I liked supporting and being a member when I did. And I did get some cool merch for free, however what irritated me was two main things:

One, none of the discount coupons and rider benefits worked at any location I tried it at. And the coupon codes on the site were always invalid. So what is the point of benefits that no one can seem to use when booking an MC trip.

Two, the insurance issue to start a local chapter is ridiculous and discourages forming riding groups. As are some of the rules about mandated monthly rides, etc.

And if they really want it to work and benefit Indian Motorcycle and the riders then they should mandate dealers give all IMRG current members a 5-10% discount on any genuine Indian products they buy from the dealer or direct from their website. And on both parts and accessories. Now, on discounted or sale items that would not need to apply, but you know 10% on a 40.00 tee is 4.00. Hell, it might encourage more sales of merch on ride days when your group starts off from the local shop on their monthly ride/poker run at 9:00 am with kickstands up at 10:00 am. That's an hour that 18 members will buy a few things for the trip and some won't be Indian branded merch so on those you get no discount.

I have a pretty intimate knowledge of what they based the IMRG bi-laws on and they totally lawyered up the rules and ruined the inherited history of the IRG "lessons learned" that we all worked so hard to perfect back in the day, but that is another story I will tell on another day.

At this point, I would only re-up my IMRG membership if I was thinking of buying a new Indain within a current year because they do give the IMRG members some pretty good deals to trade in on a new one from time to time.

If you really want to have some fun and be supported and form a fun chapter. Just start-up an IIRA chapter. It's cheap and a great bunch of people. Interestingly, a riding group that was born from what was originally a Indian forum that the factory hated due to all the bitching and complaining.

Ironically, that's what most forums have become these days, LOL.

patch.jpg
Patch 2.jpg

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,684 Posts
After 5 years of busting my ass for IMRG National and local, I gave up. Having local chapters insure Polaris was the final straw. IMRG National makes it damn near impossible for a local chapter to succeed due to financial and legal requirements.
I honestly believe that someone at Indian/Polaris (who is NOT a biker) saw the potential of the IMRG and decided that it would be a “for profit” division instead of a marketing tool.
I started an Indian Owners Association (IOA) chapter and have never been happier with my group.

·
Founding member
1,496 Posts
Dan_Frisbie has done the right thing. I did virtually the same thing here at Waco,TX. We don't have a dealer her so obviously we don't have an IMRG. I'd have to go to Dallas or San Antonio to ride with any IMRG groups. I belong to the Iron Indian Riders Association which is a national group of Indian riders. They have quite a few different rallies in various places around the USA plus a reunion every year. So I recently started our own local chapter here in Waco. We are small but growing and really don't have any desire to be all that big anyway. We can ride together any time we like, plan our own activities, and go to any of the national get togethers if we want. I highly recommend checking into the IIRA or the IOA as I know people in both groups.

·
Rider
907 Posts
I can see the frustration from those who joined to ride with an IMRG chapter to find out that there is no support and the rules are insane that you have to comply with. I do not have the time to devote to the IMRG or any other group for that matter due to family and a disabled son to take care of. There is a local riding group called the Turnpike Ramblers that I would have liked to join but I just cannot commit to it due to my situation.

For me based on the discounts that I have already gotten in less than 6 months from being an IMRG member the IMRG membership has been worth it.

If I was in a chapter and saw what you have witnessed then I would still say it was worth it based on the money savings that I have seen. I just wouldn't ride or participate in IMRG functions.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The local IMRG in Newport News is pretty active. The dealership gives (IIRC) a 25% discount on merchandise to members on the day of a meeting if you attend.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My local IMRG offers 15% discount in everything from merchandise to parts and service when done at their location as well as preferred (first in line) service as well, that is the only reason I keep mine active.

They organize weekly rides and the people in my IMRG are great people but the dealer is too far from me to go to the rides all the time.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts

I agree. I’m not a fan of paying dues to an IMRG when I live 90 miles from the nearest dealer and can’t participate in their rides and such. I felt the same way about Harley’s Hog group too. The only benefit I ever got from HOG was limited roadside assistance (within 50 miles of a dealership only). I never renew anymore as I felt like I was throwing money away.

Bubba

·
Registered
331 Posts
My local dealer didn't mention anything about the IMRG when I bought my 2019 Springfield last month and there is no mention of it on their events calendar. So...I guess they do not support the group. From reading on the forum, I see that there used to be a group based out of this area (Charleston, SC) but I think it is defunct now.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Having let mine expire, this post has been informative on when and why one should perhaps, join. Purchasing perks seem to make it a worthwhile expenditure.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Having let mine expire, this post has been informative on when and why one should perhaps, join. Purchasing perks seem to make it a worthwhile expenditure.
I think it really depends on what you want to get out of it, and how active the local IMRG is.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts