Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i find im talking to a lot of people that want to go get a scout after seeing mine and i keep making the same recommendations. I thought obviously everyone is biased toward what they want but we should do a thread on recommendations for immediate mods to make in case any new owners or prospective owners are reading this forum. Also it puts some things in perspective for Indian if they’re looking for feedback.

I have the 2018 Scout Bobber

1) my number one immediate recommend is upgrading the headlight. It is so terrible i thought mine was defective

2) with the bobbers shortened fenders stone chips flatten out the rad fins almost immediately. I recommend also doing the klockworks outrider rad guard (or something similar) fairly quickly after you get the bike

3) the kenda tires that are stock wear out very quickly, if i had known what i was doing i would have traded them for michelin commander IIs at the dealership and tried to get a serious discount for giving the kendas back.

4) ive seen a lot of complaints about the turn signals being unstable in their mount and moving around. Mine were completely fine, but in the process of installing a fairing for myself i had to order a turn signal relocation kit from memphis shades. It solves any potential issues if your factory mount kind of blows on the front signals. It mounts them to the lower steering head bracket.

Anything else is a matter of preference but those are my too 3 immediate recommends and a maybe if you’re having issues.

·
Rider
556 Posts
The turn signal thing was a problem a few years ago on early scouts, haven't heard many complaints about the last couple of years.

headlight is subjective, doesn't bother me but I avoid night riding. That said I'll probably switch over to led here shortly with it getting darker earlier. I live in NJ, need all the help I can get with the people here :p .

Most dealerships won't do a swap deal on the tires. Once mounted they are considered used, period. They'll be happy to replace the tires, but you'll pay full to near full price for it. Might as well use them and replace them when they wear out. Or swap them and sell them yourself.

The seat on the scout is terribly uncomfortable after 30 minutes to an hour and the bobber seat doesn't look much better. I'd be looking at seat options first thing if I had to do it again. I'd avoid the indian seats altogether and either look at having the stock seat redone, mustang, corbin, etc.

Honestly other than the seat my gripes are minor annoyances I don't really notice once I'm riding. My gloves keep the small hand grips from bugging me, my boots are made for motorcycling so I don't notice the pegs. What I do notice on the pegs though is that the pegs rubber is starting wear and crack already so it'll go on my to do list eventually. I'd prefer a better shift peg and more of a pedal shaped rear brake peg (kind of like Harley uses on a lot of bikes).

·
Bronze member
1,910 Posts
I do not recommend immediate changes to a new bike. What feels comfortable for one may be uncomfortable to another.
I say that you should at least ride it the way it came for at least the first 500 miles. You really need to find what irritates you and slowly make those fixes. Many are simple adjustments such as raising the handlebars to fit you instead of changing them outright.
Hand grips may be a contentious area, but there are grip wraps, various grip styles and even complete replacement grip/throttle tube sets.
Seats are quite subjective also as no two people have the same derriere (butt). I like my seat (19K miles) but my wife wanted a bit more padding so a quick trip to the upholsterer and less than $100 solved that.
My Kenda tires were as good as any original equipment tires on any bike I have owned and lasted 13K miles (no complaints).
I ride at night alot and found the headlight to be a bit dim. Another forum member sent me a LED HID bulb, and it is as good or better than any auxiliary lights on any previous motorcycle I've owned.

Get to know your bike before you jump in and start making changes.
Good Luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not recommend immediate changes to a new bike.

Good Luck
I don’t disagree with you in theory but as i said the headlight is terrible stock. No matter what you choose i doubt anyone is going to start riding it and say ‘ya its bright as hell’.

With the shortened fender stones do flatten your rad fins, you can ride it for a year - flatten all the fins and decide if you want to protect them but....

There are certain ‘deficiencies’ any manufacturer has, its good to know what people are saying when you’re a new owner or soon to be

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've changed my headlight, seat with backrest, pegs to floorboards, and gas cap. It's still not comfortable for me if I go over 200 miles. Won't buy anything in the Chief line due to all of the electrical problems I am hearing about and the frustration that goes along with them. The Scout has been trouble free for it's 3000 miles but I want a more comfortable bike. Route 66 is on my "Bucket List"

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,283 Posts
I tend to save all of the sensible and practical mods for last.

For me it was:

1. Drill out the factory pipes.
2. Re-flash the ECU w/ PVCX Fuel Moto Stock w/ Slip-Ons tune.
3. Ride the piss out of it and wear out the stock Kendas.
4. Throw on some Michelin Commander II's.
5. Remove factory airbox, replace with S&S StealthTwo intake.
6. Re-flash the ECU w/ PVCX Fuel Moto S&S StealthTwo Intake w/ Slip-Ons tune.
7. Ride the piss out of it and wear out the stock Michelin Commander II's.

32,000 km in that's where I'm at, no suspension mods, no seat mods, no windshield, bags, or luggage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The only must do for me is a rad guard...whether purely for protection or, in part, to eliminate seeing battered cooling fins.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I do not recommend immediate changes to a new bike. What feels comfortable for one may be uncomfortable to another.
I say that you should at least ride it the way it came for at least the first 500 miles. You really need to find what irritates you and slowly make those fixes. Many are simple adjustments such as raising the handlebars to fit you instead of changing them outright.
Hand grips may be a contentious area, but there are grip wraps, various grip styles and even complete replacement grip/throttle tube sets.
Seats are quite subjective also as no two people have the same derriere (butt). I like my seat (19K miles) but my wife wanted a bit more padding so a quick trip to the upholsterer and less than $100 solved that.
My Kenda tires were as good as any original equipment tires on any bike I have owned and lasted 13K miles (no complaints).
I ride at night alot and found the headlight to be a bit dim. Another forum member sent me a LED HID bulb, and it is as good or better than any auxiliary lights on any previous motorcycle I've owned.

Good Luck
I agree with e

·
Registered
582 Posts
I’ve done quite a few mods but they were what I wanted after doing about 500 miles on the bike and for my own personal tastes.

Ride it. And then do whatever you wish. It’s YOUR bike .....

Make it look and feel how YOU need it !

Love MY scout and the mods I did bc they fit me well......

Ride safe !

·
Registered
968 Posts
The only must do for me is a rad guard...whether purely for protection or, in part, to eliminate seeing battered cooling fins.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Don't know if you've ever done this but here is a tip. I used to work in a radiator shop part time. The boss showed me how to use an ice pick to gently lift the cooling fins and straighten them out. I got pretty good at it after a while. Made the fins look almost new. Obviously, don't poke the vertical tubes. It's OK to slide the ice pick along the tubes as you straighten the fins.

·
Registered
373 Posts
For my scout 60 in terms of rideability and comfort I would prioritize my mods in this order. Of course everyone is a little different.

1) Corbin Seat - one week on stock was enough for me
2) Michelin II Commander tires - unbelievable how much my ride improved
4) Indian Floorboards - couldn't stand the footpegs, was worth every penny
5) Memphis Del Rey Windshield - lessened chest wind and no head bobble
6) Aeromach shifter and brake pegs - much easier to locate and easier on your feet
7) Reduced reach handle bars - helped me get more upright and more bend in arms
8) Barnett Clutch Cable - much easier and smoother shifts, easier on the hand
9) LED HID bulb - these are plenty bright, don't feel a need to change the headlight

The only left I can improve on comfort wise is the grips but I just can't quite make up my mind yet cause I like the diameter of the stock grips, but just would like more vibration dampening and maybe a throttle control. Nonetheless, I can take a 400 mile ride and be completely comfortable other than my hands getting a little tired at the end.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Two recommendations that will drastically improve the bike.

1. Tires - Night Dragons or Commanders - huge difference in cornering.
2. Suspension - correct front springs for the forks and better rear - k-Tech or same quality.

Bonus,
New exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts