Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is only a temporary setback. I should just be patient. But disillusionment is setting in.

/rant on

I've always been annoyed that an aftermarket tune is not an option, or a "nice to have" for the FTR. You need an aftermarket tune to make the FTR ridable. The fact is that stock tune is a piece of shit. Are you listening, Indian? Now I've gone and spoiled my fun by getting their ECU update. This means the aftermarket tune I was using is no longer usable. So, I am stuck with Indian's new stock tune, which is also a piece of shit. Maybe that's not everyone's experience, but it is mine.

Patience. I believe that Dynojet and the aftermarket tuners are maybe only days away from figuring out Bosch's and Indian's latest mess. Yes, I know their hands are tied to meet emissions standards, but I don't give a rat's ass! I want a smooth running bike. My particular needs don't require the most horsepower, or the highest redline... I need a smooth ride that doesn't yo-yo me down the street, or stall at idle when I'm about to accelerate. Are you listening, Indian? You're doing a shit job. Oh, maybe there's something wrong with my particular bike and it needs some adjustments or warranty work?

Patience. Mine has run out. I'm this close to dumping the FTR for a Triumph Rocket 3.

/rant off

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL ... the new Rocket3 temptation does not need a "bad running FTR"!

Different league alltogether...

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk
I don't know why, but what you just said makes me very happy lol

·
Registered
778 Posts
I know this is only a temporary setback. I should just be patient. But disillusionment is setting in.

/rant on

I've always been annoyed that an aftermarket tune is not an option, or a "nice to have" for the FTR. You need an aftermarket tune to make the FTR ridable. The fact is that stock tune is a piece of shit. Are you listening, Indian? Now I've gone and spoiled my fun by getting their ECU update. This means the aftermarket tune I was using is no longer usable. So, I am stuck with Indian's new stock tune, which is also a piece of shit. Maybe that's not everyone's experience, but it is mine.

Patience. I believe that Dynojet and the aftermarket tuners are maybe only days away from figuring out Bosch's and Indian's latest mess. Yes, I know their hands are tied to meet emissions standards, but I don't give a rat's ass! I want a smooth running bike. My particular needs don't require the most horsepower, or the highest redline... I need a smooth ride that doesn't yo-yo me down the street, or stall at idle when I'm about to accelerate. Are you listening, Indian? You're doing a shit job. Oh, maybe there's something wrong with my particular bike and it needs some adjustments or warranty work?

Patience. Mine has run out. I'm this close to dumping the FTR for a Triumph Rocket 3.

/rant off
Well well well. Someone has finally said it as it is. Here is me nicely side stepping around the bloody obvious and trying to get a response and ol mate Murr has fuckin nailed it. Nice one man. I feel your pain and anguish. Your absolutely right. A new bike should not be suffering these problems. The ball is squarely in Indians court and they should be working with the boys at the tuning shops who have busted there asses to solve these shit problems. The Rocket III is a weapon man. Way way different but yeah I’d have one tomorrow. Chin up man, I’m shore the tuning boys will sort this. 👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
784 Posts
I agree you shouldn't need to pay for an aftermarket tune to get it to run right.
but to be honest I knew what I was getting in to when I bought it.
for me, everything else about the FTR means I can deal with that issue.
but the fact the ECU update screwed your tube? yeah I'd be pissed off. that's bollox.

dont know what to say mate - you'll have to think about it. don't be hasty though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree you shouldn't need to pay for an aftermarket tune to get it to run right.
but to be honest I knew what I was getting in to when I bought it.
for me, everything else about the FTR means I can deal with that issue.
but the fact the ECU update screwed your tube? yeah I'd be pissed off. that's bollox.

dont know what to say mate - you'll have to think about it. don't be hasty though.
Thank you, edgelett. I agree -- I also knew what I was getting when I bought it.. it stalled 4 times during the warmup, and twice during the test ride, and see-sawed down the street, and kicked my ass while turning. But oh, the ergonomics and some kind of "fun factor" made me smile. I got even happier when I installed my first tune from Fuel Moto. I guess I was spoiled by the improvement. Yes I was happy for a while, but now I'm not.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thank you, edgelett. I agree -- I also knew what I was getting when I bought it.. it stalled 4 times during the warmup, and twice during the test ride, and see-sawed down the street, and kicked my ass while turning. But oh, the ergonomics and some kind of "fun factor" made me smile. I got even happier when I installed my first tune from Fuel Moto. I guess I was spoiled by the improvement. Yes I was happy for a while, but now I'm not.
You know guys and girls, the wife and I were invited to the launch of the FTR at Brisbane Indian when we bought Debs Bobber Scout. So the day we came back from the states, we made our way into Brisbane and attended the launch with a heap of very excited people and business owners. The model I was in love with up close didn’t really do it for me when I saw it in the flesh and then when they took the covers of the FTR I just went numb. There were people there that put there deposits down that night and the only thing that stopped me from doing the same was the thought that I should wait and see what new owners had to say. So I bought the Indian racing shirt instead and waited. Didn’t hear much about the problems at all really and when I decided to buy one I still had no idea. Until, the day I picked it up and it kept stalling on warm up. I kinda went mmmm ok. I’ll give it the benefit of being a new bike. So until I rode it a couple of times and ran across you guys and girls here I had no idea what I was in for. 👍😎🇦🇺

·
Rider
1,351 Posts
Two sides to every story. I may be the other side of the coin? I have always preferred bikes that you have to ‘work at a little’ when riding to get the best out of them. If I had wanted perfection I may have purchased a Triumph, V-Max or BMW the latter being so well engineered the ride is generally boring as hell unless it’s a Nine T but my days of leaning over a tank to reach the bars are at an end. But no I wanted something a little outside the box whereupon they are a class of their own and uncommon. Yes I have only just bought into the aftermarket tune malarkey and I am impressed. Prior to this the FTR (mine anyway) had it’s foibles but I felt for a long time they were liveable with.

I don’t think for a single minute your rant Murr will make one iota of difference to Polaris as I would like to hope they are already acutely aware of the issues and are working to rectify them. I hope it made you feel better though? In this ever more tree hugging World we live in it is setting all vehicles up to meet emissions not optimum performance which is the fundamental factor. You have already experienced the potential of the FTR with your historic tunes. No ball-busting here but for the life of me why did you have the OEM flash upgrade carried out when the aftermarket tune you had sorted your wants and desires? I never rushed out to get it done and still haven’t done the circuit breakers yet. If it ain’t broke don’t rush to fix it comes to mind. Things are only going to get even worse this year with the introduction of Euro 7.

If you feel a Rocket3 may be your solution you go for it, they are common as muck over here!

It is quite common practice for manufacturers to place a gremlin or two into OEM flash upgrades to prevent aftermarket interface devices from pairing and reflashing ECUs. It was a common trait in my Jaguar/Land Rover experiences. It usually on average took about three months for the gremlins to be figured out by the aftermarket tuning providers.

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
2016 Chief DH Stage II
773 Posts
if you don't like it... i'll take it off your hands.

·
Registered
778 Posts
if you don't like it... i'll take it off your hands.
You’d have to kill me first my friend and then hack me into little pieces to drag my clutching corpse off that Thruxton. Then maybe, 👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
778 Posts
Unless you meant Murrs FTR. In which case I’ll butt out 😂😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
778 Posts
I’ve never once ridden a bike that didn’t need a tune or a flash to make it run as it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another Triumph contender in the ranks! This is awesome. 👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
27 Posts

/rant on

/rant off
How much you selling the FTR for?

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
You just need to wait dude, till DJ has figured this out.

All it takes is patience.

(why did you upgrade it in the first place?? As part of a service?)

·
Rider
1,314 Posts

/rant on

/rant off
I'd make a warranty claim, and maybe insist on a re-install of the original tune (if possible) or a new ECU, assuming it does not have the updated tune. A motorcycle that stalls out is a health and safety issue. Make the company, via the dealership, make it right.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Interestingly, I just saw a post on fb today they figured out the new Indian software, and the first beta flash (for those with a Toce) is becoming available.

Matter of time now for the OP to be happy again.

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
The juggernaut of science, although slow at times, will not be defeated. I just wonder if there isn't something else going on with @murr2k motorcycle. Looks like stock pipes and CAT, makes no sense to me why similarly situated bikes have such a wide range of performance.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts