Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The second setback really isn't too big of a deal for me, although it was disappointing not to get my Christmas present to myself. I'm just thinking that this summer is going to be so busy for me that I don't know if I will get a chance to ride my Chieftain much, let alone have a Scout too. I'm torn, but there will be more Scouts too. I can always get one next year. Extra warrantee is nice, but I never let it deter me from getting what I wanted. I just have too many irons in the fire that are already red hot for this year. I can wait a year or so. I haven't quite made up my mind up yet, but it is becoming a possibility with the way I am thinking. Maybe the novelty has worn off for me right now with my busy schedule. I know I will regret it a bit too.
If I do this (undo this), can you guys forgive me and still let me play on the forum?

·
Founding member
1,019 Posts
It kinda' reads like you've really already decided but just haven't pulled the trigger, builder. :) Do what you feel is best, for sure. You've hung in there and now the delays have given you extra time to reflect and new things, activities, etc., may have popped up. Let it go and enjoy your great Chieftain. I forgot you ordered one already! :) There will be a lot of Scouts once the problems are resolved. Best of luck.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
Go ahead and bail, it'll make the list go faster for the rest of us :)

·
Founding Member
1,929 Posts
Go with your gut Bro, if you think it's not right now then pass. You don't say what the gain is by not having a Scout in your garage, even though you might not have time to ride it. So is there a "penalty" for getting it and waiting until you do have time and other things work out?

I'm pissed as hell that I was told early Dec. and I still don't have it, but I'm waiting, plain and simple, because there's only one first run, and I want the darn thing. Plus, soon enough, the nice weather will come. It's on and off winter here, so I get to ride on the occasional 50 degree day, but I know in SD you are socked in, probably could not ride even if you had it. One other thing, by my best guess it will be the later part of Feb., maybe early March before the first runners all have their bikes, so you probably have about a month until you have to decide.

Whatever you choose to do, rock on, and stay on the pegs (or floorboards as the case may be)! Chieftain's are sweet, seriously considering swapping the Road King for one at some point.

·
6,027 Posts
The second setback really isn't too big of a deal for me, although it was disappointing not to get my Christmas present to myself. I'm just thinking that this summer is going to be so busy for me that I don't know if I will get a chance to ride my Chieftain much, let alone have a Scout too. I'm torn, but there will be more Scouts too. I can always get one next year. Extra warrantee is nice, but I never let it deter me from getting what I wanted. I just have too many irons in the fire that are already red hot for this year. I can wait a year or so. I haven't quite made up my mind up yet, but it is becoming a possibility with the way I am thinking. Maybe the novelty has worn off for me right now with my busy schedule. I know I will regret it a bit too.
If I do this (undo this), can you guys forgive me and still let me play on the forum?
Builder, stay in. Easy for me to say, I got mine, but it's a fabulous bike. Got a warehouse full of bikes, love them all, but this is the best new bike I ever owned, near perfect out of he crate, and it will get by far the most miles. As a matter of fact I am getting rid of my BMW because it won't get any love with the Scout in. The Chiftain is great, but I think you'll find out that the Scout will be your go-to bike. At least don't pull out yet. Wait for it to come in, go sit on it, then decide.

·
6,027 Posts
And if you DO decide to bail me, we'll get you a special forum where you, aln.brown and that crazy guy with imaginary rides can all talk about the Scouts you don't have.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
As have told a few others this will be your call alone in the final end .. Having 2,000 + Miles on mine I love it, is a Great Handler I do have a small Paint Bubble by the Gas Tank and definitely not happy with the Delay in Accessories .. I will say it's a well built machine but actually you might be better off giving it another year or two and let things be readily available instead of this stinking waiting .. If hadn't got mine by now would probably be on a Victory Gunner or HD Dyna .. So sure won't blame you if you bail, and as an Indian Owner anyway would be glad to see you hang around with us just as I still enjoy Aln Brown hanging in with us .. Your Call ..

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Do like I do when faced with an impossibly difficult decision to make, toss a coin.

Here, I just happen to have a quarter in my hand.
Let's toss it and see how it comes out.
Then you will know what to do and how to proceed.

Ok, here we go.

TAILS.

At least now ya know.
This always works with 100% certainty.
No wishy washy mamby pamby..

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Builder, stay in. Easy for me to say, I got mine, but it's a fabulous bike. Got a warehouse full of bikes, love them all, but this is the best new bike I ever owned, near perfect out of he crate, and it will get by far the most miles. As a matter of fact I am getting rid of my BMW because it won't get any love with the Scout in. The Chiftain is great, but I think you'll find out that the Scout will be your go-to bike. At least don't pull out yet. Wait for it to come in, go sit on it, then decide.
Near perfect out of the crate??? All we see from you is "took this off, took that off, put new light on, added cigar holder, oh what's this for don't need it, remove it"

Begin to think your bike was the new man in your life, because all you have done is change him.:D

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered a full boat of accessories for the Scout too. The salesman told me one of the Scouts that came in with passenger seat, backrests, windshield......but no passenger pegs. It would piss me off if I had to wait a year for those, like the rear rack on my Chieftain. I texted my dealer today and asked, "Where's my bike?" ....No answer.
I think it is pretty shitty that the dealers can tell you so little, and that Indian can't get these bikes out there.

·
6,027 Posts
Near perfect out of the crate??? All we see from you is "took this off, took that off, put new light on, added cigar holder, oh what's this for don't need it, remove it"

Begin to think your bike was the new man in your life, because all you have done is change him.:D

Haha. I did say 'near...' But it's true, this bike is really really good stock. Some minor changes, and no one expects stock suspension and exhaust on a sub $20k bike to be worth much.

·
6,027 Posts

And my man was far far from near perfect out of the crate and actually I think he got worse after 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm out. Committed to a black Chieftain, moved my deposit.

Not due to lack of patience per se, but hope to do some long distance riding this year, and didn't have a bike suited for it. My buddies mostly ride Beemers, and wouldn't have patience for 100 mile gas stops with the Scout peanut tank. And while I love my S1000R, that bike was never meant for interstate travel.

I'll come back to the Scout later this year or next, once I replenish the till.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Well you can't use them like roller skates anyway

·
Registered
303 Posts

Of course!!!!!;) U r still part of the Indian family...the Chieftans r TITE!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm out. Committed to a black Chieftain, moved my deposit.

Not due to lack of patience per se, but hope to do some long distance riding this year, and didn't have a bike suited for it. My buddies mostly ride Beemers, and wouldn't have patience for 100 mile gas stops with the Scout peanut tank. And while I love my S1000R, that bike was never meant for interstate travel.

I'll come back to the Scout later this year or next, once I replenish the till.
I am wondering if I will be able to get an aftermarket custom gas tank for the scout? I would at least like for my tank to have the the same capacity as my BMW F800GT had! I'm not really liking that small gas tank...but that is the only thing that I am not liking. Well, aside from the fact that Indian is pissing me off with these late deliveries!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am wondering if I will be able to get an aftermarket custom gas tank for the scout? I would at least like for my tank to have the the same capacity as my BMW F800GT had! I'm not really liking that small gas tank...but that is the only thing that I am not liking. Well, aside from the fact that Indian is pissing me off with these late deliveries!!!
I'm unaware of anything, and with the tank design so integral to the overall look of the bike, not sure what would be possible in any case.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts