Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Scout in for service yesterday. I mentioned to the service manager that I was going to be getting a Challenger. He said they've been having a lot of trouble with codes, performance, stalling, etc. And, of course, being the service manager, he knows what comes through the door.

I'd like your comments. Should I wait for the 2021 models? I thought about getting a gently used Springfield, riding it for a year or two then getting a Challenger.

Brian

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think most of the bugs are out of it now. The only issue I hear people having are with the ride command. The bike is a beast and definitely worth any ride comment issues they are having. It also depends on your riding style.
If your not aggressive and like to ride fast you may be just as happy with a Springfield. The performance is what really sets this bike apart. Riding it slow is almost impossible. I don't seem to be able to keep it any where near the speed limit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Had my bike throw an engine light code when I first got it. Changed the battery in the FOB. No problems since. Small rattle found in the exhaust possibly a weld came loose? Dealer is looking into it.

Other than that an absolutely fantastic bike with no other issues. Engine is rock solid to this point.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
He said they've been having a lot of trouble with codes, performance, stalling, etc.
These are things that are fixed by flashing an update to the bike - I imagine that 'performance' means tuning. My guess is that the new tunes on a new model take some road time from a lot of riders to highlight issues that their in-house testing won't find.

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
Is this particular dealer a multi line dealer? Sounds like he is not up to speed on the Challenger at all.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,230 Posts
I had a code one time but that was it. I started out with the new flash. The Challenger is an amazing bike. What Jay said is right, it's difficult not to twist the throttle!

Reactions: BaggerJay

·
Registered
565 Posts
I took my Scout in for service yesterday. I mentioned to the service manager that I was going to be getting a Challenger. He said they've been having a lot of trouble with codes, performance, stalling, etc. And, of course, being the service manager, he knows what comes through the door.

I'd like your comments. Should I wait for the 2021 models? I thought about getting a gently used Springfield, riding it for a year or two then getting a Challenger.

Brian

Brian- I agree all the comments about the power. You cannot go slow on this bike. I find it almost impossible to not be 20mph over the speed limit. It just wants to go faster. The other major difference is if you want to hear your music at 80 mph you can with the Challenger. I have 7000 miles with zero problems. All the updates go into the bikes before they are sold. In my opinion only about 25% of the dealer mechanics are any good. Especially, now that they have this new bike with all the technology. I just sold my 2018 Springfield Dark Dark Horse a week ago. Just wasnt riding it anymore. Always seemed to pick the Challenger because of the power and the music system.

·
Rider
550 Posts
Brian- I agree all the comments about the power. You cannot go slow on this bike. I find it almost impossible to not be 20mph over the speed limit. It just wants to go faster. The other major difference is if you want to hear your music at 80 mph you can with the Challenger. I have 7000 miles with zero problems. All the updates go into the bikes before they are sold. In my opinion only about 25% of the dealer mechanics are any good. Especially, now that they have this new bike with all the technology. I just sold my 2018 Springfield Dark Dark Horse a week ago. Just wasnt riding it anymore. Always seemed to pick the Challenger because of the power and the music system.
Grayrat, is your sound system still stock?

·
Rider
620 Posts

Brian

My take on this is my take on everything I buy, and that's NEVER be a guinea pig for a company by buying first gen products. Every, first, gen product ever released has come with it's problems, and if it's not fixable on that model, they incorporate it into the following year models.

If you're not in a hurry, let everyone else spend their money beta testing the new bike. Wait till next year's or the year after, you'll have the better bike then.

Not a single member here or Rider has put the miles on this bike to see whether the shortcomings are. We know what the TS111 is capable of, no one knows what the PowerPlus is going to be like in 20k miles and up

·
Registered
42 Posts
My take on this is my take on everything I buy, and that's NEVER be a guinea pig for a company by buying first gen products.
I’ve bought a number of first gen bikes and cars over the years. I can’t say I’ve been disappointed. It’s fun to dive into something new.

Some people like to take risks, while others prefer to sit on the sidelines. The bleeding edge isn’t for everyone.

·
Rider
510 Posts
The only issue I am having with my base model is the Ride Command, which they are aware of, and it will be fixed in the next update. The Ride Command just doesn't save what widgets I customize and such, not a huge deal. I do have a small bone to pick with the bike though, it makes all my favorite twisties a little...uneventful. It handles so well, and flicks into the corners so easily. I went and turned around, and hit them again, at a higher speed (already quite a bit over the speed limit the first time) and it just took every corner without any drama or hesitation. I friggin love this bike.

·
Rider
844 Posts

Brian

This thread is based on the hearsay opinion of an anonymous person,(service manager), which contradicts the facts. The Challenger has never had a performance problem and since the factory reflash, the bikes are rock solid.
I'd sell the rumor and buy the bike.
Riding the Challenger is addicting and if go from a Scout to a Challenger you are in for a real surprise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This thread is based on the hearsay opinion of an anonymous person,(service manager), which contradicts the facts. The Challenger has never had a performance problem and since the factory reflash, the bikes are rock solid.
Riding the Challenger is addicting and if go from a Scout to a Challenger you are in for a real surprise.

I wouldn't call it here say. I personally have been having issues with my limited since December I have had numerous problems and and still continue to have some. I had the original misfire issue, I had throttle body, injectors, and reflashed replaced. I have soft clear coat issues scratching from just the touch. I have shorted out heated grips which I'm still waiting for replacement. Even after the misfire fixes my bike continues to die randomly on start up and sometimes sitting at a stop sign. I also have experienced my bike not wanting to turn over when hitting the start button then I power cycle the bike and it starts, and don't get me started on ride command it pretty much does what it wants from music not working to the coolant temp not working. I love the way the bike fits me but if I had to do it again I wouldn't buy it. I don't care if its a first gen or not I spent more money on a motorcycle then most people do on a car its not acceptable. I am extremely disappointed with Indian on quality control. I am a long time victory and indian supporter, I've had a couple vegas, cross country and a chieftain.

·
Rider
844 Posts
I don't think your bike would be called the norm. Actually, that's the worst case I've ever heard of. Have you considered the lemon law? You might want to consider taking your bike to a better shop to fix the unresolved issues.
My Challenger had a very mushy throttle response off throttle but the reflash cured it completely. I've never had a misfire in 3200 miles.
The only weird thing mine does , is the radio comes on when you start the bike and I assume everyones does.

·
Bronze member
3,393 Posts

Brian

I'll bet the owner would be real glad to hear how his service manager is talking about products he's trying to sell... and he does not seem to be on top of it really... if I was the owner and heard him bashing a product that's paying his wages... he'd be out the door before his coffee got made...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is this particular dealer a multi line dealer? Sounds like he is not up to speed on the Challenger at all.
Yes, they sell a whole line of products. But, what would that do with newly purchased bikes coming through the door with issues?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I'm not sure how you could interpret that as a, "rumor" since it's actual, firsthand knowledge. He knows what's coming in the door and what is disproportionate. What YOU are saying, however, is purely anecdotal.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,230 Posts
Two thoughts...

1. There was an issue with a few of the early models that seems to have been resolved. It would be interesting to see how many bikes he's actually seen with the issue. (I wasn't aware that zhiggs61 was still having an issue and wish him a speedy fix!)
2. I love my Challenger and have no regrets in buying it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think your bike would be called the norm. Actually, that's the worst case I've ever heard of. Have you considered the lemon law? You might want to consider taking your bike to a better shop to fix the unresolved issues.
My Challenger had a very mushy throttle response off throttle but the reflash cured it completely. I've never had a misfire in 3200 miles.
The only weird thing mine does , is the radio comes on when you start the bike and I assume everyones does.
He shouldn't have to shop around for a better shop for a BRAND NEW BIKE. I understand brand loyalty, but he's right. You should be able to just ride a new, $30K+ bike, not haul it to a, "better mechanic" three counties away.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts