Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
What does your manual recommend?
A lot of people use a 20W in tropical environments or on older motors,
I use Mobil 20 - 50W in my Victory, might pay to look in manual, check internet or ring local dealer

·
Registered
469 Posts
I would run 15w60 like the manual states. Amsoil makes 15w60 v twin oil. Thicker oil is not better on cold start ups.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,302 Posts
I just did my 5k service and switched to amsoil. So far it's been good. The valve train is quieter now. Also put in a k and p oil filter. You can get amsoil online. Id recommend becoming a preferred customer and ordering a case of the 15-60

Become a Preferred Customer and Save - AMSOIL
I'm planning on doing the exact same thing at my 5k mark. I've got the K&P S1 but haven't ordered the oil yet.

Reactions: Gman1

·
Bronze member
2,662 Posts
Run the viscosity that IM engineers recommend. They did testing, evaluation, etc., to come up with the correct viscosity. Why a would you want to run something else?

·
Registered
309 Posts
20200608_112714.jpg This is the oil I run in the Indian referred to the owners manual and it also recommends this oil. Being a new motor the viscosity will be around,10W or 15W - 40W. Only worn motors I would use 20 - 50 W. In my Victory the gearbox and clutch is much smoother when using Mobil 15 -50W race oil. Keep in mind a cold day here is 32C, where I work is around 45C.
I recommend a quality oil and do not mix oils

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just did my 5k service and switched to amsoil. So far it's been good. The valve train is quieter now. Also put in a k and p oil filter. You can get amsoil online. Id recommend becoming a preferred customer and ordering a case of the 15-60

Become a Preferred Customer and Save - AMSOIL
I did the same (as did TechRider & others.)
Been an Amsoil fan 20+ yrs, always noticing smoother gear ops. And the K&P billet high-flow filter.... LUV IT! Documented to flow 6x rate of oil thru the engine maintaining oem filtration. Highly rec all riders READ the “Primer on Filtration” page at K&P Engineering site. Good info. I’m convinced the increased oil flow rate thru the engine has quieted the cam/valve sound a bit (not that it ever bothered me ...sitting above this engine design it’s the sound I expect.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts