Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any tips to share, any trade secrets?
I'm just gonna sand it down, 800,400,120,80 then spray paint primer, paint, then clear coat.
I'll try it on a spare helmet first.

·
Rider
493 Posts
I used Rustoleum's paint for plastics. Just roughed up the surface a little and sprayed it. No only did it look good, it lasted a couple of years.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Anyone got any tips to share, any trade secrets?
I'm just gonna sand it down, 800,400,120,80 then spray paint primer, paint, then clear coat.
I'll try it on a spare helmet first.
Just to be on the safe side, I would reverse the sandpaper sequence just so it get a little smoother coat that way! :)

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I found some really hip color shifting rattle can paint at Wal*Mart.
It was a three part pack from Dupli-Color.
First a black matt base coat then the color shifting top coat and finally a clear coat.

When the sun hit that helmet it would shift from gold to a deep magenta.
They also had a silver/green paint.

This was years ago....so.

·
Bronze member
1,257 Posts
When you do this paint job, make sure you dont damage the shell. Some paints have detrimental affects on Fiberglass or Plastics.

Reactions: slewfoot

·
Registered
20 Posts
For a little inspiration, do an instagram search for Biltwell helmets. Custom painters doing some amazing things on those. Bell 500's too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the support and idea.
I will just paint the first one white as a practice.
Then I really plan something out for my everyday helmet.

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you're looking to match any colors on your bike or use other Indian OEM colors, colorite.com has most colors for most OEMs. I've had good service from them for single cans and for whole kits. FWIW.

·
Super Moderator
5,853 Posts
Hello Eskimo! The given image of helmet is nice. I also want to do the paint on my helmet. What colors you have used to make this one. Kindly reply.
Actually I have two helmets painted that way.
That one in image was done by an artist called "Scarecrow" in Bryson City, NC. My other helmet I painted myself and near identical.
I used Testor's high gloss model paint on a very clean surface. I forget the colors (all bottles used and thrown way). You can match and coordinate the colors to your bike. Take your time and apply over several days, to allow drying time between elements. No surface prep on a shiny black helmet - i.e., no sanding, etc. Take your time. Mistakes can be corrected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We at Shoei North America recommend professional painters and it is always important to get the advice of a professional painter before painting your helmet, but this is what is recommended. You do not want to remove any lower vents or rubber beading on the helmet though they should be taped off to avoid getting unwanted paint on them. The helmet should also be lightly sanded just to remove the clear coat on the outer layer of the helmet. The only paint recommended on a Shoeihelmet is acrylic enamel based paint. When drying the helmet do not use a high heat drying method as it may damage the protective quality of the Polystyrene liner on the inside of your helmet. Please feel free to reply with any questions-

Ethan Stark

1 - 20 of 22 Posts