Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right gents. I have a 2015 NDN Chief Vintage. I have been looking for a rear shock adjustment tool/spanner (the correct one!) since i bought this two-wheeled pain in the ass and I cannot find one. Yes, I have already made a wrench from my own wrenches, and no, I am not interested in guessing what will fit by buying a Honda tool, unless you KNOW it works! No offense to Honda riders out there, most of us have been there at least once.

Seriously, just so you know, I put a lowering kit on my bike, which looks great, but if you are carrying a passenger or towing a trailer and you hit a bump, you are going to carve a groove into the center of your tire with the rear fender seat post screw mount. That's no bueno!

Can anyone help "a brotha" out???

·
Founding member
1,496 Posts
I thought you could just use a large set of channel locks (water pump pliers) or do it the old fashioned way with a hammer and chisel or big screwdriver. Thats what my son in law did on his vintage, didn't take long at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geewago, no disrespect to you my friend, but think about what you just said. Never mind what I wrote about telling me to improvise. I spent a buttload of money on this bike and I still can't find a wrench for it, and you're telling me to beat on it with a hammer and a chisel!? Believe it or not, I've already done this, and it pisses me off that I have to do so, because the company clearly does not want us working on our bikes. Don't mind me, it's just my alter-ego coming out.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I used a hammer and large screw driver. Didn't have to beat on it and it worked just fine. Had it set nice for me but not really great for 2 up. Bought an RM shock for $200 bucks. Fairly easy install. Now I change the load easily to what ever the riding situation is...

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Bosch tool PV-46993 is what the dealers use. I thought that the original rider tool-kits might have had the tool at one time or another. Your dealer can certainly order that tool for you.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Want a cheap option? Go with an Ohlins C-spanner (shock spanner) adjusting tool - $13.95

Really, I prefer the air-shock solution though.

EDIT: The Ohlins tool is not quite an exact fit on our Indian mono-shocks... It can still be used though. Go with the Bosch option if you need to adjust the shock frequently.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Geewago, no disrespect to you my friend, but think about what you just said. Never mind what I wrote about telling me to improvise. I spent a buttload of money on this bike and I still can't find a wrench for it, and you're telling me to beat on it with a hammer and a chisel!? Believe it or not, I've already done this, and it pisses me off that I have to do so, because the company clearly does not want us working on our bikes. Don't mind me, it's just my alter-ego coming out.
I agree that Polaris has purposely put controls on availability of the special tooling. That does not sit well with me at all. The full dealership set is made and sold by Bosch. A friendly dealership will help you get what you need... or you can forge your own trail. Bosch Automotive Service Solutions (phone number available on request).

·
Founding member
1,496 Posts
No disrespect to you either. The way that big nut is designed a hammer and screwdriver works just fine and it's not a matter of beating on it, you just tap it around a rime or two till you get the desired setting you want. As I said we did it about a month ago on a Vintage and it took longer to remove and replace the seat than it did to make the adjustment. And as one poster has pointed out if you put a jack under it and take the pressure off it's a breeze. We didn't even do that. But go ahead and order your special wrench. Somebody has given you the part number for that as well. I predict you won't use it over one time.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Want a cheap option? Go with an Ohlins C-spanner (shock spanner) adjusting tool - $13.95

Really, I prefer the air-shock solution though.

EDIT: The Ohlins tool is not quite an exact fit on our Indian mono-shocks... It can still be used though. Go with the Bosch option if you need to adjust the shock frequently.
Arnott/Fox adjustable air ride shock.

·
Bronze member
1,393 Posts
I don't have my service manual nearby, but you can get the exact wrench through Indian. There is a part number in the service manual or the dealer should be able to look it up and order it for you. Be prepared - Indian really likes their specialty tools... You could probably get a set of English Spanner wrenches on Amazon for less than the cost of the Indian wrench as well.

Reactions: Indian16RM

·
Early joiner
148 Posts
All right gents. I have a 2015 NDN Chief Vintage. I have been looking for a rear shock adjustment tool/spanner (the correct one!) since i bought this two-wheeled pain in the ass and I cannot find one. Yes, I have already made a wrench from my own wrenches, and no, I am not interested in guessing what will fit by buying a Honda tool, unless you KNOW it works! No offense to Honda riders out there, most of us have been there at least once.

Seriously, just so you know, I put a lowering kit on my bike, which looks great, but if you are carrying a passenger or towing a trailer and you hit a bump, you are going to carve a groove into the center of your tire with the rear fender seat post screw mount. That's no bueno!

The Honda tool works!! I bought it and used it on my Chief Classic

·
Founding member
437 Posts
I found a new Fox air shock on Ebay for $200.00. It was removed from a new Roadmaster when the owner was converting it to a trike. It took me about a week of searching before I found it. It only took about an hour to change shocks, and the result is amazing! The ride is much better, and you can adjust for more or less weight in about two minutes.

·
Founding member
943 Posts
I use the Honda Spanner. Ordered it from my local Honda dealer. Works perfect I recommend it. Using a hammer screwdriver could beat up the collar. I used spanner wrenches everyday back in my printing job days. Hated when guys would tear them up with a hammer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a air shock off of a Chieftain installed and keep around 25 psi in it and never bottom out with my passenger....handling is way better to!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

I worry sometimes that resilience and resourcefulness are fading from the human spirit.

·
Bronze member
2,820 Posts
A hinge spanner is definitely the ticket.but a 1/2 inch copper round stock works great,and it's easier to find in your tool box (as long as it's damn near a foot long)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts