Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Indian Scout Bobber Sixty (ABS)
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have contact with the Indian Motorcycle Engineering Department? The plastic Radiator Cover (p/n 5454506) needs to be stiffer. It is prone to warping (or sag). In the image below you'll notice a large gap between this cover and the frame due to sag. (If you press on the cover you can eliminate the gap.) You'll also note some poor fabrication technique on the left side -- the jagged edge looks like it was trimmed by a monkey with a dull razor blade. (I think Indian should provide with a properly manufactured replacement.)

I suggest they injection mold this part with the same plastic currently used but with a 10% glass fiber reinforcement. This should considerably increase part stiffness while maintaining the original properties of the item. They will still be able to use the existing molds and could run some quick trials to verify the effectiveness of the change with minimal cost but resulting in a superior product.
20201127_133908.jpg 20201127_133930.jpg

·
Bronze member
4,118 Posts
Does anyone have contact with the Indian Motorcycle Engineering Department? The plastic Radiator Cover (p/n 5454506) needs to be stiffer. It is prone to warping (or sag). In the image below you'll notice a large gap between this cover and the frame due to sag. (If you press on the cover you can eliminate the gap.) You'll also note some poor fabrication technique on the left side -- the jagged edge looks like it was trimmed by a monkey with a dull razor blade. (I think Indian should provide with a properly manufactured replacement.)

I suggest they injection mold this part with the same plastic currently used but with a 10% glass fiber reinforcement. This should considerably increase part stiffness while maintaining the original properties of the item. They will still be able to use the existing molds and could run some quick trials to verify the effectiveness of the change with minimal cost but resulting in a superior product.

Not going to change unless it causes a safety issue. Engineering are required to incorporate accounting into every design, the cheaper the better. Better usually means more expensive. If it lasts through warranty, its good enough.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Darkhorse
72 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. Didn’t look to good. I removed the cover and epoxy a 1/8 aluminum rod on each side inside the cover. Now it’s sturdy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine was doing the same thing. Didn’t look to good. I removed the cover and epoxy a 1/8 aluminum rod on each side inside the cover. Now it’s sturdy.
...I was thinking the same thing

·
Registered
182 Posts
Did you get your bike new? That shroud has been carved up terribly Mine has no such rough edges and it hugs the frame nicely, 2017 sixty.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Darkhorse
72 Posts
Mine is a 2019 and I bought it new. My neighbors is also the same way and his is a 2018.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you get your bike new? That shroud has been carved up terribly Mine has no such rough edges and it hugs the frame nicely, 2017 sixty.
...brand new 2021, off the IM Dealer showroom floor, with just 2 miles on the odometer

·
Bronze member
1,910 Posts
My wifes 60 had the same issue (but worse) and the service tech loosened the lower screws on both sides, pushed the shroud toward the frame/radiator while re-tightening those screws and it now fits like it was supposed to in the first place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wifes 60 had the same issue (but worse) and the service tech loosened the lower screws on both sides, pushed the shroud toward the frame/radiator while re-tightening those screws and it now fits like it was supposed to in the first place.
...I tried that as well but to no avail; maybe I need to heat up the plastic with a heat gun, or in the oven, and try to flatten it out a bit prior to reinstallation?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got one for sale if anyone needs one. Taken from a 2020 Scout Bobber Twenty, 0km/mi on it. Delivery from Melbourne, Australia.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts