Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone other than me, had their ignition key turn off during a turn?

Normally I drive with a single key in the ignition, but this morning, used my spare key, which is on a ring with the bike alarm fob and brake lock key.

As I was in the middle of a turn, the ignition turned off, stopping the engine, locking the back wheel and placing me in a skid. Luckily no one was behind me, the roads were dry and I was only doing 30km (20mph).

My guess is that with the beautiful indian key having the key ring hole off set from the centre of the rotation of the key is dangerous. SO DO NOT RIDE WITH EXTRA KEYS ON YOUR RING

upload_2015-9-22_9-1-5.png

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
<...>
SO DO NOT RIDE WITH EXTRA KEYS ON YOUR RING
I never do. I saw early on how wind could give enough leverage to turn the key.

·
Registered
358 Posts
For your spare key, drill a hole near the centerline of the key and move the ring to that position. Or just don,t add extras to your ignition key. Or, the key is reversible: Insert it with the ring at the top position.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
For your spare key, drill a hole near the centerline of the key and move the ring to that position. Or just don,t add extras to your ignition key. Or, the key is reversible: Insert it with the ring at the top position.
I agree with drilling a hole in the center of the head, or get an alternate key. @RBinTEX had a post somewhere that outlines this.

Inserting it with the ring at the top position can still have the effect of turning off the bike as the ring and other items on the ring can flail back and forth in the wind.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
I agree with drilling a hole in the center of the head, or get an alternate key. @RBinTEX had a post somewhere that outlines this.
Use the ilco key numbers X270 0r TMCiK for the Scout keys.
Have someone cut you a key with either of the two numbers above to replace or to have more spares.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I had a similar issue after buying new boots: The crease in my pant leg caused by the top of the boot upper would tap the ignition key and shut it off when downshifting, mainly due to the added weight of two other keys and a leather key fob hanging from it. I always take the key off the key ring now and the problem seems to have gone away. I like Ronnie's solution, though.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Use the ilco key numbers X270 0r TMCiK for the Scout keys.
Have someone cut you a key with either of the two numbers above to replace or to have more spares.
For reference:

Reactions: RBinTEX

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your replies.
Wanted to get the word out, hate for this to happen to someone else.
I was very lucky that it happened on a quite street at lower speed, not a busy highway. Outcome might have been different otherwise.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Thanks for your replies.
Wanted to get the word out, hate for this to happen to someone else.
I was very lucky that it happened on a quite street at lower speed, not a busy highway. Outcome might have been different otherwise.
I hope I speak for everyone when I say 'Thank you'.

Reactions: DarkScout

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have that happen to me quiet often. My leg hits the key when downshifting at a stop. The first time it scared the sh!t out of me!

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,321 Posts
I have that happen to me quiet often. My leg hits the key when downshifting at a stop. The first time it scared the sh!t out of me!
Only had it happen once .. If happens again will take some steps, but once in 12,000+ miles think I learned the first time ..

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,078 Posts
FYSA, a lot of people don't like the key location for the Victory Cross bikes so Witch Doctor came up with a key relocation kit. Doesn't seem to hard to use that as a guide to do the same thing with the Scout if you're so inclined.
XC/XR Large Black Key Relocation Mount in Key Brackets - Ignition & Accsy's - Cross Bikes, Magnum & Hardball - Victory Motorcycles - Your #1 Source for US Made, Custom Victory Motorcycle Parts

The key's original location in between the jugs in the "cheese wedge". The new location is in the triangular shaped piece of metal behind the rear jug above the clutch cable.

Another, albeit much more costly alternative, is Digital Guard Dawgs electronic ignition. There is a universal kit that is suppose to work on any bike. Me personally, I don't like all the fancy electronics but nowadays it's harder and harder to get away from it.

Digital Guard Dawg - MOTORCYCLE KEYLESS IGNITIONS & SECURITY

1 - 20 of 28 Posts