Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a trivial problem but I'm just wondering what other people do. So far I just insert the ignition key on it's own just so a key fob doesn't wear out the chrome around the ignition. Now every vehicle I own has it's own set of keys which most of them are keyless ignitions. Now since the Scout does not have a fork lock(except export bikes) I have a disc brake lock which requires a separate key. So I would like to have a key fob to keep the keys together, but I don't want to wear out the chrome. Or do most people think it's a badge of honor showing how much you ride by having worn out chrome around the ignition. Just asking. I like to have a bike look like new if I can for as long as I can.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course with a regular key fob the chrome still wears out. So I'm not looking for ideas on what kind of key fob, I'm looking for no key fob. So as I'm thinking I'm probably going to get a fob with a detachable key from the fob to keep it from dangling and wearing out the chrome.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the new circular Indian leather key FOB and it does a great job of protecting the chrome
That's the idea I'm looking for. Next time I'm at the dealer I'll check into that. This coming Sat. is their Christmas party, I'll have to buy myself a key fob for Christmas. Thanks.

·
2015 Thunder black smoke Scout
312 Posts
I tried to get it online but it says it's not available for sale yet and then the other day when I went to the shop they had it for sale. Works out nice and looks good because it matches the tan leather I have on the rest of my bike.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I know this is a trivial problem but I'm just wondering what other people do. So far I just insert the ignition key on it's own just so a key fob doesn't wear out the chrome around the ignition. Now every vehicle I own has it's own set of keys which most of them are keyless ignitions. Now since the Scout does not have a fork lock(except export bikes) I have a disc brake lock which requires a separate key. So I would like to have a key fob to keep the keys together, but I don't want to wear out the chrome. Or do most people think it's a badge of honor showing how much you ride by having worn out chrome around the ignition. Just asking. I like to have a bike look like new if I can for as long as I can.
IIRC, @Russ was working on making a keyless ignition for his Scout.

Reactions: Roll On

·
Registered
299 Posts
W/O the other two keys all that touches the bike is the inserted key and leather. I haven't seen any flapping w/the two keys in the holder

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have one of these. Simple and easy to grab in your pocket. Flutters in the wind a little but doesn't scratch a thing.
INDIAN MOTORCYCLES GENUINE DARK TANNED LEATHER KEY CHAIN/FOB

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll be looking for one that doesn't move when key is inserted. I'll check Indian dealer first.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I like my key ring holder, might help
Indian Motorcycle Icon Leather Keyring - Brown | Indian Motorcycle Store

·
Registered
966 Posts
As you can see, after having my Scout key for 359 days, narily a scratch :)
20151211_111017.jpg

1 - 20 of 49 Posts