Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just ordered a quart of silver smoke paint from witch doctors so if anyone as use for it let me know. I'm only painting a front fender so I'm literally gonna use like half a pint so I'll have quite a bit left over. It should be here in a week or 2 so I'll know for sure how much is left so I'll post a price then. Should be more than half the can so I'll most likely send the rest of the paint and activator for like $60

·
Rider
747 Posts
Hi NessScout,
I actually do need some. Problem is I have come to discover that Indian does not do a good job of keeping their paint color consistent from year to year. Every year of silver smoke is different from the year before. I ordered some 2014 silver smoke concert lids off this site and they were no where even close to the same color as my 2018 chieftain. So now I have to repaint them. What year is your bike. Better yet what was the paint code you ordered?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bike is a 2017 and I ordered paint code p581. However the can does say SE5815-GX-04 and say turbo silver. I was told that this paint code is updated by Polaris to better match all years of the silver smoke but I guess we'll see once I spray my fender

·
Rider
747 Posts
Let me know how it turns out. I had my bike sitting right beside a 17 that the mechanic at the dealer owned. They were two totally different colors. He was bummed because mine is a brighter silver. His exact words were "damn I should have waited one more year" LOL! He is also the one who told Indian is not consistent with their paint color. He said the only colors that stay the same every year are the thunder black and Indian red. I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me know how it turns out. I had my bike sitting right beside a 17 that the mechanic at the dealer owned. They were two totally different colors. He was bummed because mine is a brighter silver. His exact words were "damn I should have waited one more year" LOL! He is also the one who told Indian is not consistent with their paint color. He said the only colors that stay the same every year are the thunder black and Indian red. I hope it works out for you.
Ill just have to wait and see how it looks when it's done. Hopefully it'll come out ok. I'm painting a front fender so even if it's just slightly off, you shouldn't be able to tell too much being that is not adjacent to any other painted parts. It'll depend on how far off it is if it's off at all though. I have my fingers crossed

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The paint turned out to be a perfect match for my 2017 Chieftain Limited. Not gonna lie, I was a tad nervous but glad it came out as I hoped. I will post pictures as soon as I mount the new front fender

·
Rider
747 Posts
The paint turned out to be a perfect match for my 2017 Chieftain Limited. Not gonna lie, I was a tad nervous but glad it came out as I hoped. I will post pictures as soon as I mount the new front fender
That's great! I'm glad it matched. I just wish I knew if it match mine. From having a 2017 sitting right beside my 2018 and seeing the color difference with my own two eyes I would be sceptical that it would work. If I knew it would be close I would be interested in taking it off your hands.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I get you. I've seen pics and videos of silver smoke cheiftains and I've said to myself "man that looks darker than mine"! Mine seems to be a nice silver color where I've seen some to be a little more of a gray tone but yet, I've haven't had the opportunity to park next to another silver smoke bike. My 2 bikes match up perfectly but they are both 2017's

·
Rider
747 Posts
So how much of this did you have left over. Also does this come with the matte clear coat also? I'm thinking about just taking a chance on this matching.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts