Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
1) Pocahontas County, WV has some really nice riding: Pocahontas County | Motorcycle Touring
2) Near Wytheville, VA is an area called the "Claw of the Dragon". Great riding as well: Maps
3) Here in Ohio, the city of Athens has been trying to promote the "Windy 9": Ohio’s Windy 9 | Athens County Visitor's Bureau
Some great rides included but don't miss OH-26 and OH-536 (neither are on the windy 9 list).
4) Out of my local region, by far the best ride I've been on is the Bear Tooth Pass starting at Red Lodge, MT and continuing to the east gate of Yellowstone.

·
Registered
713 Posts
1) Pocahontas County, WV has some really nice riding: Pocahontas County | Motorcycle Touring
2) Near Wytheville, VA is an area called the "Claw of the Dragon". Great riding as well: Maps
3) Here in Ohio, the city of Athens has been trying to promote the "Windy 9": Ohio’s Windy 9 | Athens County Visitor's Bureau
Some great rides included but don't miss OH-26 and OH-536 (neither are on the windy 9 list).
4) Out of my local region, by far the best ride I've been on is the Bear Tooth Pass starting at Red Lodge, MT and continuing to the east gate of Yellowstone.
Hey Aargow great list. I've already done #1, 2, and 4 and agree they are awesome, especially Bear Tooth Pass. Our next trip is planned for Windy 9 in September and we are just now looking into where to stay. Any suggestions for rental homes or motorcycle friendly hotels in Athens or Nelsonville area? There are four of us total. Thanks!

Reactions: Aargow

·
Registered
615 Posts
Must be in the water tonight. My buddy and I were talking about a trip this summer to Adirondacks. That, or cabin fever has officially set in.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Athens has a lot of hotels to choose from. I think the last time I was down there, i stayed at a Hampton Inn. It's a college town so best to check that your trip doesn't coincide with the first week of the semester...otherwise hotels will be hard to find. Also, Hocking Hills is nearby. There are lots of cabin rentals available there.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yep. Those are all great ideas.
Southeast Ohio is one of the best kept secrets in motorcycling. We'll be there the weekend of July 19-22. Join us.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hell yeah, I'll come down!
We'll be based in Parkersburg WV and doing most of the juicy riding on Friday and Saturday. There'a an Indian dealer just outside of town in Mineral Wells. It's always a good time.

·
Not for much longer
401 Posts
I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a trip from southwestern Indiana to Niagara Falls. Will come back through Canada. Probably try to go all state highways(no Interstate) in Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York and hit the Lake Erie coast east of Cleveland.

·
Bronze member
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a college town so best to check that your trip doesn't coincide with the first week of the semester...otherwise hotels will be hard to find. .
The other problem in a college town is that when there is a big game all the rooms dry up.

·
Not for much longer
401 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I will be riding with two friends that were both in the military. They enjoy scoping out any military stops while we are riding. As far as crossing into Canada, I haven't really looked into that. Suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don' have the link handy but you can probably Google it - but there is a route circling the great lakes that is really cool. I've done the lake Erie part of it, for me it's only a three day trip but I highly recommend it for anyone within range.

Also Aargow I think mentioned the Athens Ohio windy 9. Those are all really great rides and could probably eat up a week full of great riding.

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,273 Posts
I am in the process of planning a solo road trip to Utah for May, it will be my first major trip on the Scout. My primary destinations are a series of ghost towns but on the way back I will be hitting as many national parks and acclaimed motorcycle routes as possible. Each night I will either be crashing on somebodies couch or camping, still working it all out logistically. So far it'll look something like this:

Day 1 (900 km): Chilliwack, BC to Ontario, OR
Day 2 (975 km): Ontario, OR to Thompson Springs, UT
Day 3 (440 km): Thompson Springs to Sego to Cisco to Dewey to Arches National Park (Devils Garden Campground) to Dead Horse Point to Canyonlands National Park (Grand View Point) to Hole N' The Rock to Monticello
Day 4 (660 km): Monticello to Bryce Canyon (via Route 95/Capitol Reef/Grand Staircase-Escalante National Parks)
Day 5 (600 km): Bryce Canyon to Panguitch to Sevier to Cove Fort (via Clear Creek Canyon Rd/Fishlake National Forest) to Salt Lake City, UT (Emigration Canyon) to East Canyon Campground to Morgan to Peterson (via Morgan Valley Dr) to Mountain Green to Huntsville to Liberty to North Ogden (via North Ogden Canyon Rd)
Day 6 (780 km): North Ogden, UT to Blackfoot, ID to Salmon, ID to Missoula, MT (via Route 93)
Day 7 (975 km): Missoula, MT to Burke, ID to Chilliwack, BC

Total Distance = 5,330 km

Probably going to rearrange some destinations to more evenly spread out the amount of riding each day. Definitely open to fellow riders joining me for sections along the way. If any of the destinations above land in your neck of the woods or you'd like to recommend a particular route to me shoot me a message.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts