Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My dad rode Harley's in the mid to late 30s, but I just found a photo of his first bike he had in 1933. Can anyone ID it?

Thanks!
Brian
Indian motor bike in 1933.JPG

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,804 Posts
Completely different engine with the cylinder tilted backward. Looks like a generator (possibly belt driven) in front of the cylinder. Definitely a different model. I got my book out and it most resembles a model called the 30.50 which was the cubic inch displacement. Essentially half of a 61 cubic inch V-twin motor that Indian made at the time. Exactly what year of production for this one isn't clear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Completely different engine with the cylinder tilted backward. Looks like a generator (possibly belt driven) in front of the cylinder. Definitely a different model. I got my book out and it most resembles a model called the 30.50.
Thanks reinie! Any chance you can send a photo of the 30.50 to [email protected]?
Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
123 Posts
my guess. . .
it was a twin. it had a failure in the front cylinder that was cost prohibitive to repair.
so the front cylinder was simply removed and the bike was used, and photographed, as a single.
i believe the only single models The Wigwam produced that had the cylinder leaning rearward were back in the original "camelback" tank days

·
Registered
123 Posts
my guess. . .
it was a twin. it had a failure in the front cylinder that was cost prohibitive to repair.
so the front cylinder was simply removed and the bike was used, and photographed, as a single.
i believe the only single models The Wigwam produced that had the cylinder leaning rearward were back in the original "camelback" tank days

let me correct myself. . .
since my last posting i have stumbled across a pic of a 1913 Indian with this engine cinfiguration.
if i could remember where i found the pic i would attach it here.
but i am getting old and feeble minded( oh.. ok. . .i have always been feebled minded).
i knew i wanted that pic when i saw it, but i could not recall where i needed to show it.
yes. . i was there during the 60's and 70's.

·
Registered
123 Posts
let me correct myself. . .
since my last posting i have stumbled across a pic of a 1913 Indian with this engine cinfiguration.
if i could remember where i found the pic i would attach it here.
but i am getting old and feeble minded( oh.. ok. . .i have always been feebled minded).
i knew i wanted that pic when i saw it, but i could not recall where i needed to show it.
yes. . i was there during the 60's and 70's.

try this. . .?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts