Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Roadmaster Blue Slate Smoke/Black Smoke
52 Posts
It's been my experience only a certain type of Harley rider asks that, the one that has more Harley t-shirts than miles on their bike. The Harley riders I know don't care what you ride but do care if you enjoy to ride. Ride what you like/can afford/suits you.

I've ridden Triumphs up until now, would I have bought a different bike if my wife didn't love coming with me? Most definitely, do I regret buying my bike? No.

Cloud Sky Fuel tank Motor vehicle Motorcycle

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic #172 "Legalize Freedom"
1,122 Posts
Back in the Gilroy days we simply used to say that Buffalo tastes better than pork or rice. Seems to have stopped most problem hd riders. Just saying.

Reactions: OL'55

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ride a 17 Green & Cream Roadmaster. Three years ago I started riding on day rides with a group of HD riders. After a handful of these rides, I was invited to go on a 11 day, 3500 mile trip from Louisiana to NM, CO & UT with a group of 8 of these riders. At least once a day, every day, when we were stopped, a crowd would gather around my bike and want to talk to me about it. Needless to say, the HD boys got jealous real quick. They then started telling me it was only because the colors of my bike appealed to women and sissies. They haven't asked me to ride with them again.

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
926 Posts
I have a 2017 Roadmaster,and it’s funny,I get comments ,mostly “beautiful bike,love the thing on front fender” …and that’s cool,love the bike too .No complaints.But……what do you guys use to diffuse the arguement…” well it’s not the original company like Harley” which I have heard.I I have said….well didn’t HD get bought by AMF in times past….which breaks the “line”.lol.Plus I have named my bike the “ Lone Indian” because the group I am with is the far superior HD,nudge nudge,wink,wink.If I knew the name to Tecumsehs horse I would use that,lol.Just wondering.Thanks.

View attachment 696074
answer, at least it was not owned by a Bowling Ball company (AMF).

·
Rider
926 Posts
A large portion of HD owners have never hear of the majority of other makes.

Start up a conversation about BSA or Ducati or Aprillia or Moto Guzzi or
Triumph ( 1902) and watch their eyes glaze over.
I would tell them about dad's Francis Barnet when in the navy. And they all accuse me of making it up.

·
Rider
926 Posts
I have had people ask what it is and make comments on it's most excellent appearance. I have a 2019 RM. One woman in a parking lot liked it a lot. Asked how much it cost lol. And wanted to take a picture of it. Sure it's in public, feel free. Get a lot of compliments on it. Haven't been asked yet what kind of Harley it is... :ROFLMAO: Thumbs up in traffic. The manager where I bought it said you'd get a lot of comments on it when out riding. And it's not even got the vintage bags and leather and tassels and stuff. Was driving my friend around the city today and I spotted a gorgeous RM cream green and white down town Philadelphia and had the leather tassels from the grips and really nice brown leather seats.
I don't get as many taking pictures anymore at the grocery store as i used too, but then I've been using that store about 2 years now they are kinda used to seeing it. 2019 Chieftain Classic in green and cream.

·
Rider
926 Posts
I'm on an '18 Willow Green/Cream Vintage and it never fails to turn heads. I'm retreading this reply that I left for another guy with the same color scheme on a Roadmaster.
Have seen more comments on this one post from fellow green and cream riders. Wow, 2019 CC and Scout.

·
Rider
1,396 Posts
Forgot about the AMF years for HD? All companies go through changes financially, Indian is no different.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2017 Roadmaster,and it’s funny,I get comments ,mostly “beautiful bike,love the thing on front fender” …and that’s cool,love the bike too .No complaints.But……what do you guys use to diffuse the arguement…” well it’s not the original company like Harley” which I have heard.I I have said….well didn’t HD get bought by AMF in times past….which breaks the “line”.lol.Plus I have named my bike the “ Lone Indian” because the group I am with is the far superior HD,nudge nudge,wink,wink.If I knew the name to Tecumsehs horse I would use that,lol.Just wondering.Thanks.

View attachment 696074
Hell, I don't care what the heck they think, if they are making comments like that it's evident they're not enthusiasts & don't deserve a reply. I'd just smile & let it go.

·
Rider
818 Posts
Worse was when Gilroy was building them with Harley clone engines. I've actually had guys tell me that "Indians are built by Harley.
Of course I corrected them.

I'm on an '18 Willow Green/Cream Vintage and it never fails to turn heads.
Is this "AirWolf" from the old IIRA forum? I used to hear the S&S and later the P+100 arguments and no matter what you told the bone head who wanted to argue, you could never get through to them. There's no educating the willfully ignorant.

I hated to see my '03 Iron Beast go, but I love my '15 willow (seafoam to us older folk) & cream Chief Vintage. It will be the last ride I ever own.

Ride safe - ride lucky,
TR

·
Rider
926 Posts
Thats what Harley said.
Well since dad was from the old days of the Indian HD wars and his first bike was a 47 flathead i believe, with a suicide clutch. Before, as he used to say he got EDUcated by his future brother in-law to the tribe. My uncle is native. He also raced Indians to pay for his college, ended up with a PHD in Criminal something or other, ended up running the state pen. Dad got his mechanical engineering degree. I was told that 'Educated men rode Indians and knuckle dragging apes rode HD's and if you couldn't ride a Indian you ride a Honda".

·
Registered
87 Posts

View attachment 696074
[/QUOTE
Just take it in Stride! It’s what’s here Today that Counts and it was based on Indian of 1901 shape and designs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love the Indian brand so much, that we now own four. A 2017 Willow green and ivory RM, a 2018 Willow green and ivory Scout, a 2018 Pearl white and silver RM that’s been triked, and a 2019 Willow green and ivory Vintage.
When we stop somewhere to fuel up it’s not uncommon to attract attention and many positive comments.
Another reason I bought an Indian is because everyone else has a Harley. I’m not everyone else.
I wave at ALL bikers regardless of brand, yet the ones that won’t return the wave are usually Harley riders.
I’ve been confronted about the fact it’s not a “real” Indian. That Indian has gone belly up many times. That I’m riding a “snowmobile.” Blah, blah, blah………I’ve heard it all, and I don’t care. I love my Indians.
My only complaint with the new models is all the blacked out shit. I’m old. I like my chrome. The chrome is what sets them apart. Makes them pop. Blacked out Indians are boring to me. If that’s what you like, then great. But, I don’t care for it myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Couple things..Sorry if I posted something I seeing has been discussed a lot.Did not realize that.Secondly,great responses,that k all of you for the interesting stories,which is why I initially started this,the stories are interesting to hear…lol

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,961 Posts
I have learned to stop arguing with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

I can't count the number of times that I have just nodded and smiled...

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
5,009 Posts
As a Harley rider I find some of these stories very entertaining lol. The guys dad who said people who ride Harleys are knuckle daggers was a good one!
Being a member of this forum for the last 9 years I realize that Indian owners are a unique group of people.
Taking pictures of the odometer when it hits 1901. I know of no other motor vehicle brand owners who do this!
Going to their main competition dealership just to take a picture of their bike parked in front of it.
Highly sensitive of any negative remarks about the bikes or the brand.
But all in all I realize that you all are just really loyal to the Indian brand and are very proud of what you ride.
Take care and Ride Safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 57 Posts