Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been planning to buy an Indian Vintage since last April, but have held off because I knew in my heart that two-tone paint would be available in 2015. If not I would have had it painted...I waited just in case. Meanwhile, I joined this forum, visited Fort Hood Indian, TX, 5 times meet the crew there (I live 85 miles away), and plan the accessories.

I went there last Mon. with my checkbook. "Let's write up the sales agreement",says salesman Danny. Let me say this, buying new vehicles ain't my first rodeo...And understand the fees involved. But I will not and cannot justify a PREP. fee of $599.00, and a FREIGHT fee of $599.00. I accepted the Manufacturer's List on the bike and the $2400.00 for accessories and all the other fees. According to them nothing is negotiable.

Well, I walked. I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night. So, before buying from a different company I took a chance and called a different dealer. I called Fort Worth Indian, TX this morning. I told him I would buy one, just wanted to know the fees before driving 180 miles...was told I'd get a callback in 5 minutes. That was 4 hours ago.

I know it was only 2 dealers, BUT they represent the whole company. We get the shaft from lots of companies when we don't know it, but to get shafted by a business when THEY KNOW WE KNOW the fees are bogus too [email protected]!K THEM!!

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
I have been planning to buy an Indian Vintage since last April, but have held off because I knew in my heart that two-tone paint would be available in 2015. If not I would have had it painted...I waited just in case. Meanwhile, I joined this forum, visited Fort Hood Indian, TX, 5 times meet the crew there (I live 85 miles away), and plan the accessories.

I went there last Mon. with my checkbook. "Let's write up the sales agreement",says salesman Danny. Let me say this, buying new vehicles ain't my first rodeo...And understand the fees involved. But I will not and cannot justify a PREP. fee of $599.00, and a FREIGHT fee of $599.00. I accepted the Manufacturer's List on the bike and the $2400.00 for accessories and all the other fees. According to them nothing is negotiable.

Well, I walked. I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night. So, before buying from a different company I took a chance and called a different dealer. I called Fort Worth Indian, TX this morning. I told him I would buy one, just wanted to know the fees before driving 180 miles...was told I'd get a callback in 5 minutes. That was 4 hours ago.

I know it was only 2 dealers, BUT they represent the whole company. We get the shaft from lots of companies when we don't know it, but to get shafted by a business when THEY KNOW WE KNOW the fees are bogus too [email protected]!K THEM!!
Well sorry to read that. There is the used bike market for Indians such as E-Bay. I bought my 2014 Chieftain on E-bay with 2k miles. I saved about $4,800 buying it used vs a new Chieftain plus I scored a numbered bike from the first 1901 built. If you really want one this is one way to accomplish it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
from my experience phone calls don't get results when shopping for a bike. I am told the dealers think you are just shopping for the best price( who can blame us?) to use on the next dealer. I have pretty much given up on trying call ins to get anywhere. If the dealer you are calling really understood you are just trying to get the preliminary information out of the way to make a informed decision it might be better. Walks ins get the attention because they are there. Better luck on your next call.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dealer experience. I feel the same way about my local HD dealers and there are 3 within an hour of my home. Not all dealers are the same and I'm sure you will find a dealer that will treat you fairly, but they may be a distance from your home. I also recommend that you let Indian know about your frustration so they can check out other practices by those dealers that will give Indian a "bad name".

One example in the automotive world that seems to relate to your situation...I had a friend that was in charge of internet sales for a large Ford dealer in NE Ohio. I remember he told me one day (not too many years ago) that his dealership was one of the largest in sales for Ford p/u's in the State of Texas. I didn't believe it until he showed me several months of sales reports from Ford Motor Company. I'm still not sure of that dealers "rank" by volume in pickup sales to Texas, but I do remember seeing the auto transporters they had with new Ford trucks loaded for Texas (per the manifest). Evidently, buyers in Texas got tired of dealing with their local dealers and bought online. Would you consider doing the same thing?

I think we have a forum member that lives in California, but buys from a dealer in one of the Carolinas. He has his Indians shipped to him at a fairly nominal rate. Maybe that member will jump in here with the name of that dealer.

Moral to the story = there is more than one way to "skin a cat" (apologies to any cat lovers out there)!

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
My dealer (Lone Star) would not come off the freight and prep charges.....however they did drop the price of the bike. There have been numerous dicsussions (threads) on this board about "what did you pay" and "dealer prep & freight", simple search will find the threads.

Noticed this was your first post, welcome, too bad about the subject matter. :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
I called both dealers in my state.One was $450 shipping and set up. the other was twice that amount. It's always a problem with something new. Car dealers are the same way. I want a 2015 Mustang but won't pay full price. As the newness wears off they will have to compete. Or go out of business. If you don't like one dealer try another. Remember the only jobs people rated lower is congress.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Other options

Perhaps a nice metric bike where the dealers can slash thousands and have new left overs from up to five years back at "ride it like you stole it" prices would be more appropriate and hit your "I got a deal" button. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
712 Posts
PS - It protects the value of every Indian bike owned everywhere to not have rogue-pricing. It is one thing HD got right and Indian is too. Our bikes will have a strong market value because of it. Most brands don't. Oh and by the way try to find another new cruiser with the features of the Vintage - 111, ABS, warranty, etc - within $5k of the price. Maybe that extra grand won't feel as painful with some perspective.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I think the whole argument about pricing are a bit out of whack.

It's not about who charges what, it's more about whether you want the product and whether you can afford the asking price. Every seller is entitled to set a price, and every buyer has the right to accept or reject that price. No bitching is in order either way. We live in a relatively free market place, and supply/demand is the true price setter. I am sick of listening to stingy bastards moan and groan about not being able to screw the last cent out of a deal. If you don't like it, don't buy it, simple as that. For me, I wanted a Vintage and the fact the dealer wouldn't negotiate was absolutely fine by me. It didn't matter whether I paid $1000-$2000 more or less, I WANTED the product.

Also, does anyone ever stop and think about the fact that Polaris put something like $100 million into developing the new Indian range? Do they not deserve a return on investment? Has anyone ever run a motorcycle dealership? Is it a pathway to heaven paved in gold? Not likely! These guys sweat blood and tears staying afloat a lot of the time, and I reckon they deserve to make a living. After all, if they don't, you're not going to get spares and service when you want them.

·
1,956 Posts
I forgot to mention that here in Australia, the ride away prices for the 2014 Chief range are $28,500 (Classic), $31,500 (Vintage) and $35,000 (Chieftan). To convert that to US dollars take away 5% .......

So, you can see that when we buy an Indian, we REALLY pay the man.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Your search may be over. I recommend contacting Gregory Polaris in Jacksonville, AR and talk to Rob Gregory. I just bought from them (406 miles away but worth it) , and I was told that last weekend, two other guys from the DFW metroplex also bought from them. Set-up AND freight: $650 for both. No document fees, no "Telex transfer fee" (no shit.....I've seen this elsewhere) They install the accessories for free unless you get the 2" pullback handlebars which are a ***** to install and they charge $100 to install them. My local dealer charges $200. Just re-read your post. My local dealer is Ft. Worth. Also, Gregory Polaris GAVE me the first oil change kit and my choice of horn cover emblems. Call them, talk to them, you have nothing to lose. Trust me......I'm really loving riding the bike and expect you will too. Don't give up on the bike from a bad dealer experience. Also, before you paint the entire Indian teepee with the same paint, know that some dealers are different. I don't know about the Fort Hood dealer, but the Ft. Worth Indian dealer is brand new (grand opening today) and owns the Harley shop right next door. I'll leave it to you to draw your own conclusions. Gregory Polaris has been a Polaris and Victory dealer for years. Again, Try them......you have nothing to lose. If you decide to buy from them, PM me......maybe they'll toss me a T-shirt for the referral.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Keep trying a Dealer until you get one that has a little business sense! Bluey won't be a fan of this reply, but if he wants to throw dollars to the wind, that's his business! I just pre-ordered my Scout, three weeks ago, in the same fashion that I bought my 14 Vintage. I told my favorite salesman that I would not pay freight, and I would not pay set up! Guess what....I didn't pay freight, and I didn't pay set up! Up until years ago, I refused to pay MSRP. Times have changed, and I can see paying MSRP for a unit that is in demand, but freight and set up is out! The Dealer has a "cost of doing business"! I don't pay him to air condition his showroom, or turn on the lights. He has to get the bike to his Dealership in order to sell! He has to set it up in order for me to take delivery. He won't sell it to me in the crate, and I can't go to factory and pick it up! I did agree to pay "documentation fees", which is another one of my pet peeves. Why should I pay for his office staff to complete the correct paperwork required by the State? That's a business expense on his part-a cost of him being in business! I want my Dealer to make money, and be successful, but if you think about these fees that customers just automatically accept, and pay, they will keep charging, and you will keep paying! Call me tight and cheap, but I don't throw money to the wind!!! Your turn.....Bluey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bluey,

What else have you overpaid for which helped to establish a higher price for the rest of us? I don't understand your penchant for over paying. I work for my money and I owe it to my family to get the best value for each and every dollar. You may feel differently, and that's your prerogative, but disrespecting those who seek value isn't a path toward winning friends and influencing people.

Let me test you, if I might; You have two dealers from which to choose. One wants over $1300.00 for freight and build (or assembly), a $125.00 document fee (not required by the state), a special inventory county tax of $51.00, $2496.00 for accessories, and $440 labor to install the accessories, and a $5.00 "Telex transfer fee". The other dealer wants a total of $650.00 for freight and buildup, $2300.00 for the same accessories, $100.00 to install them (only because the 2" pullback handlebars are a ***** to install, otherwise accessories are installed free), and no other misc. fees.

Tell me, sir, where do you buy your bike?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

Today was the grand opening at Ft Worth Indian. So....while not defending them.....at least that could explain why you didn't get a call back.
If you want the bike....you will get it.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
103 Posts

I ordered my green and white Vintage. The fees were 495 and 195 still high but I had to have it.

·
1,956 Posts
Starlifter and Indian1705

If you guys want to hassle for the lowest possible deal, go for it.... that's your business. And of course if there are two different prices on offer, I would join the rest of mankind who would normally accept the best price. However I CHOOSE not to always go hunting and hassling on 'price'. I dislike the modern day ethos that is obsessed with discounts, deals and specials (and I'm not saying you guys are like this - I don't know you). All I am suggesting is that fighting to save a dollar is not nearly as satisfying as seeing BOTH PARTIES get a good deal.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts