Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new by this roads ;)

I need your advice:

5 years ago I had to sell my Triumph Tiger 1050, new kids, no time, 6 months of dust on her.

Now the kids are bigger, I'm still his driver, but I have a little of life now and I want, no, I need back to ride again.

When I saw the Indian Scout I fall in love, so gorgeous design, from that moment it becomes my "wet dream".

This week I found a 2nd hand bike, good price, very few milages (2,500), so I started reading reviews and this forum.

The bike is almost all that I want, but just one detail, dosen't have Traction Control (and mostly all another bikes around Scout, have, at least, cruiser and traction control )

My old bike didn't either, just ABS, but I'm older, so the question is:

Why Indian did not added traction control to Scout?

Do you think that is safe to ride the Scout in wet or dirty road conditions?

Thank you very much.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Tons of riders ride Scouts and other bikes safely without traction control. You can do it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've been riding sans traction control for 40+ years and am still around. :) It's not a replacement for cautious safe defensive riding according to the conditions.
Buy the Scout, you'll love it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you want traction control, get a bike with traction control. The Bonneville bobbers are pretty cool. Or, wait for the FTR1200 next year, my guess is they'll have some sort of switchable traction control (but who really knows at this point).

·
Registered
602 Posts
Seriously, what does traction control do on a bike? Is it to stop rear wheel spin? Does it brake for you if it senses one tire going faster than the other? Would this stop me from doing some power slides out of curves on purpose? I'm familiar with ABS but not traction control.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Put over 900 miles on my Scout one long week without any drama! Go for it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My suggestion is ride one. I switched to Michelin Commander II tires and am very satisfied with the grip and traction it offers. The only traction control you need is the one pictured. View attachment 409474
Thats a good advice, years ago I put a Metzeler Multi-Compund and the curves changed like if was another bike.

Thanks,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want traction control, get a bike with traction control. The Bonneville bobbers are pretty cool.
They seems ugly to me. The speedmaster could be an option, but sounds to me like when you have to choose to have a date with the nice, but boring good girl vs funny and crazy ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Traction control means you don’t spin the rear wheel. So- no burn outs. I personally think having it would ruin the motorcycle. You want traction control ? Buy a Vespa.
To be honest, I never rode a bike with TC, so I don’t know if I wanned or need it, (ABS save me a couple of times), but my logic was if Triumph, BMW, Guzziz, had it in their “bobber” models, that should be for something, or just marketing?

·
Registered
543 Posts
it seems like you don’t need to think for yourself anymore. Something will do it for you.
Until it craps out. Then you better have a big wallet.

·
Bronze member
1,434 Posts
Until it craps out. Then you better have a big wallet.
Fortunately the codes the ECM throws are very accurate. Good reason to have the PVCX. In case something electronic takes a dump, not that hard to repair if you have this code reader. If not yes, pretty costly.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new by this roads ;)
I need your advice:
5 years ago I had to sell my Triumph Tiger 1050, new kids, no time, 6 months of dust on her.
Now the kids are bigger, I'm still his driver, but I have a little of life now and I want, no, I need back to ride again.
When I saw the Indian Scout I fall in love, so gorgeous design, from that moment it becomes my "wet dream".
This week I found a 2nd hand bike, good price, very few milages (2,500), so I started reading reviews and this forum.
The bike is almost all that I want, but just one detail, dosen't have Traction Control (and mostly all another bikes around Scout, have, at least, cruiser and traction control )
My old bike didn't either, just ABS, but I'm older, so the question is:
Why Indian did not added traction control to Scout?
Do you think that is safe to ride the Scout in wet or dirty road conditions?
Thank you very much.
I understand wanting that extra safety factor because I did something similar. I had a 2015 first-run Scout with no ABS or TC. When the 2016 came with ABS I traded the 2015 in for the ABS. But! Here's the difference: With ABS you're adding a measure of safety against other incidents (typo jockeys) on the road and not necessarily yourself or your skills. With TC you're hedging against your own skills (or possible lack thereof), and thereby doing yourself a disservice in honing your skills; skills that will help you throughout your riding. With TC you're possibly making yourself more dependent on it and as a result possibly a bit more reckless than you should.

Cliffs: Get/buy those options & gear that help protect you best against the typo jockeys first, and buy those other options/gear that crutch your skills last.
...and always ATGATT.

Reactions: buyao

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you've never ridden a bike with traction control, you've already answered your own question. You don't need it.

Scout is totally manageable. You can break it loose if you WANT to, just like any other bike that has decent power, and isn't too heavy. Otherwise, just ride it like any other bike.

Laid back cruiser when you want, and enough juice for hoonin' when you want. Fun.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,053 Posts
I've ridden my 2015 shot for three years in all weather (except ice). Only had the rear wheel break loose twice. In my opinion, TC is not needed.

·
Rider
629 Posts
Traction control on a motorcycle????? Never heard of it. I have owned 6 bikes of varying brands, and never had traction control. Get the Scout, you’ll like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok. ok. I'll go for it :) :) :)

I let you know when I have news.

Thanks to everyone.

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 52 Posts