Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And before you ridicule me and call me crazy hear me out...

I have the S&S Grand National slip-on paired with the Toce link pipe, and I've been working with FM for a tune and they've been absolutely great. Toce's link pipe is a top quality piece of metal for literally just being a pipe. You can tell they actually engineered something to fit and smooth the transition from the header to the pipe instead of just throwing on a curved pipe that fits. I installed the setup last Friday and have been riding it since, going back and forth with Fuel Moto with tune revisions. Let me be clear that I have no problem with the tune, tuning process nor do I regret tuning it at all. I do think it has made the bike run better overall and snappier performance. My problem has been with the sheer volume my bike is at now. I guess I had thought the S&S muffler would actually do some muffling lol. I watched a lot of videos with the S&S muffler and no cat, but the videos do not truly convey how loud the bike actually is in that config. Without the cat there, the bike is essentially straight piped, which, yea ok call me an idiot for not thinking that it would be this loud.

The decel popping is like gunshots (Craig B informed me they can be reduced but not eliminated entirely) and at anything other than a slow crawl of acceleration my bike is straight up snappy angry sounding, reverberating off the road and into my skull (even with earbuds in). I can only imagine what a racket I'm making as I go by people. I find myself severely toning down my riding as I'm super self-conscious about how loud I'm being around others. One of my favorite roads to ride is through a beautiful neighborhood and there's no way I'm riding it through there at its current volume. The final straw was this morning as I was riding to work, I was riding alongside a straight piped Harley for a little bit. I was louder. I don't want to be louder than a Harley. I don't want to be close to the volume of most Harleys. I'll take a hot seat and an ugly cat with a good sounding reasonable volume bike that I can rev up and down all day without drawing the wrong sort of attention over whatever little performance gains I might have gotten from getting rid of the cat. I'm not a track day rider, I'm not going to notice what shaving 5 pounds off the bike is going to do for me lol.

I wish to express my thanks to Craig B and FuelMoto for offering the service that they do. I sent in a log after my ride last night and he had a revision to me an hour later. I'm like "Dude, you can wait til tomorrow if you want." 馃槀

That all being said, I just made this post to inform and discuss not stir any pots about anything. This is just my personal experience and thoughts, some people want their bike that loud, and that's great for them. I personally don't enjoy it. I'm not proud of my bike anymore, I'm slightly embarrassed by it. I want to be proud of it again.

Bronze member
I agree and understand. I was having dinner at a restaurant's outdoor seating area the other nite and was not only amazed but bothered at how loud and obnoxious so many vehicles exhaust were, not just bikes.Add onto the fact those that were operating those loud vehicles really did enjoy "hearing the music", thus disturbing the peace.
All my skoots have louder than stock exhaust but I operate them in a respectable manner .
That being said I am continually amazed and disappointed at how friggin loud many aftermarket exhausts are. I installed a set of V&H slip-ons on a Scout Bobber and was shocked at how loud they are, and hearing that skoot coming down the road from so far away has me cringing.
Louder is not always better.

RACNRAY

Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
That's the main reason why I don't want to get rid of the cat, and that's saying a lot considering I use the FTR to commute in Florida and that bike sure does give off a lot of heat at stop lights... But I still don't think its worth it. I think I found a good mix of sound by keeping the cat and just throwing on a car exhaust tip, no slip on necessary.

Registered
I want to thank you for this feedback. I have been pondering just what to do myself.

As far as looks, the Bassani with no cat looks the best to me by far. But people just describe it as too loud. Your description is so to-the-point that it makes the choice easy.

I am capable of building an exhaust myself. I am going to run a short length of pipe off of the cat. I just don't what would look right yet. Two choices, a stubby pipe or a longer pipe that utilizes the rear hanger. Still looking at options. I want to be able to run saddle bags and can't have the pipe exit too high.

Thanks again for your description.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to thank you for this feedback. I have been pondering just what to do myself.

As far as looks, the Bassani with no cat looks the best to me by far. But people just describe it as too loud. Your description is so to-the-point that it makes the choice easy.

I am capable of building an exhaust myself. I am going to run a short length of pipe off of the cat. I just don't what would look right yet. Two choices, a stubby pipe or a longer pipe that utilizes the rear hanger. Still looking at options. I want to be able to run saddle bags and can't have the pipe exit too high.

Thanks again for your description.
No worries. The day I bought the bike, one of the service guys had one and showed me his with the bassani slip-on. I honestly think it was louder than my current setup. No idea how he rides it like that but he was happy with it.

Silver member
I get it.

For day to day riding the stock cat with an open slipon is the sweetest sounding combination. Healthy, throaty, but not so loud to draw too much attention or become tiring.

I have had full open systems on bikes before, and all they did is slow me down because I didn't want to draw too much attention. From the neighbors, nor from the law. They always pick out the noisiest guy anyway.

Registered
And before you ridicule me and call me crazy hear me out...

I have the S&S Grand National slip-on paired with the Toce link pipe, and I've been working with FM for a tune and they've been absolutely great. Toce's link pipe is a top quality piece of metal for literally just being a pipe. You can tell they actually engineered something to fit and smooth the transition from the header to the pipe instead of just throwing on a curved pipe that fits. I installed the setup last Friday and have been riding it since, going back and forth with Fuel Moto with tune revisions. Let me be clear that I have no problem with the tune, tuning process nor do I regret tuning it at all. I do think it has made the bike run better overall and snappier performance. My problem has been with the sheer volume my bike is at now. I guess I had thought the S&S muffler would actually do some muffling lol. I watched a lot of videos with the S&S muffler and no cat, but the videos do not truly convey how loud the bike actually is in that config. Without the cat there, the bike is essentially straight piped, which, yea ok call me an idiot for not thinking that it would be this loud.

The decel popping is like gunshots (Craig B informed me they can be reduced but not eliminated entirely) and at anything other than a slow crawl of acceleration my bike is straight up snappy angry sounding, reverberating off the road and into my skull (even with earbuds in). I can only imagine what a racket I'm making as I go by people. I find myself severely toning down my riding as I'm super self-conscious about how loud I'm being around others. One of my favorite roads to ride is through a beautiful neighborhood and there's no way I'm riding it through there at its current volume. The final straw was this morning as I was riding to work, I was riding alongside a straight piped Harley for a little bit. I was louder. I don't want to be louder than a Harley. I don't want to be close to the volume of most Harleys. I'll take a hot seat and an ugly cat with a good sounding reasonable volume bike that I can rev up and down all day without drawing the wrong sort of attention over whatever little performance gains I might have gotten from getting rid of the cat. I'm not a track day rider, I'm not going to notice what shaving 5 pounds off the bike is going to do for me lol.

I wish to express my thanks to Craig B and FuelMoto for offering the service that they do. I sent in a log after my ride last night and he had a revision to me an hour later. I'm like "Dude, you can wait til tomorrow if you want." 馃槀

That all being said, I just made this post to inform and discuss not stir any pots about anything. This is just my personal experience and thoughts, some people want their bike that loud, and that's great for them. I personally don't enjoy it. I'm not proud of my bike anymore, I'm slightly embarrassed by it. I want to be proud of it again.
Did you look into quiet baffles or repacking the muffler? May be worth an email to S&S.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It already has a DB reducer installed. I removed it just to see what it was like inside without it. The baffles are already packed well (you can see it through the baffle holes). I thought about putting more packing around the DB reducer itself but I鈥檓 not sure how effective that would be, if at all and if it would stay in place either. I鈥檓 pretty much decided to put the cat back on and stick with the S&S muffler.

Registered
It already has a DB reducer installed. I removed it just to see what it was like inside without it. The baffles are already packed well (you can see it through the baffle holes). I thought about putting more packing around the DB reducer itself but I鈥檓 not sure how effective that would be, if at all and if it would stay in place either. I鈥檓 pretty much decided to put the cat back on and stick with the S&S muffler.
I don鈥檛 disagree with your point, just trying to provide options. Different types of packing and different amounts can drastically change sound, as well as different baffle designs. I can see wanting to get rid of the heat, so personally would try those option first since you already bought the pipe. Good luck, hope you get it to sound and run the way you want it to.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I salute you, sir, for being honest and having respect for the other folks who's peace you don't want to inflame.
May I suggest that you consider going "catless" with the OEM mufflers reinstalled? I too have no use for an obnoxious exhaust note. In fact, after I built my Roadmaster with the Stage 3, 116 cubic inch kit and then took a ride to my dealership, the owners and head wrench came outside to check it out. They knew that I'm a professional mechanic and that my Stage 3 kit was one of the first built in America. When they saw that it had the stock mufflers, they said, "Stock Exhaust?" My reply was, "Yeah. It's a touring bike and I have no use for the noise." It also hauls arse!!
As far as exhaust note goes, when running the OEM headers and mufflers, the gutted "cat" made almost no change in the exhaust note. It rumbles along like a bone-stock Thunderstroke model that will not piss off my fellow Americans as we pass by OR get the attention of the constabulary. If it's any louder than a stocker, it will take very good scientific instruments to detect it.
I thought about it, but for the life of me I can鈥檛 stand the way the stock pipes look (even more so than the cat, the cat is at least kind of tucked away). Big chunky black square things. 馃槚

Another reason is before I got the link pipe, I had the S&S already and installed it with the cat. It was the tone I was looking for and I liked it. Had hoped the removing the cat would keep the same tone, just louden it up. Well it made it too loud and the tone I liked was drowned out. Live and learn oh well 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

Reactions: quibble

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don鈥檛 disagree with your point, just trying to provide options. Different types of packing and different amounts can drastically change sound, as well as different baffle designs. I can see wanting to get rid of the heat, so personally would try those option first since you already bought the pipe. Good luck, hope you get it to sound and run the way you want it to.
Thank you I appreciate that. I鈥檓 kind of wary of completely disassembling the muffler and I really liked the tone it had with the muffler and the cat together. I never tried it without the DB reducer in with the cat on so for the right tone and volume for my taste, I could see that being the way I go. Options are out there.

Registered
I would go shorter. I think longer would just look weird.
I was thinking the same thing. Plus shorter wouldn't require an upper hanger.

Now just thinking about the design/look.

I have seen many that bolted on a short tip/resonator. Not for me. Also saw the exhaust tip that #bgillen35 did. Just wanted something a little more.

Any photos of something like this would be welcome.

Registered
oh lord now you have me reconsidering my exhaust purchase choice....
i mean 99% of my riding is in the hills (if I'm commuting i usually take the Honda cause it's smaller), and I'll be getting the baffles with my exhaust, but i don't want to be so loud that people abuse me.
having said that my other half has a Harley with vance and hines pipes and when we ride together his bike scares sheep in paddocks so i figure if i'm the same volume as him then that should be ok.

everyone has to make the right choice for them. so put on whatever makes you happy :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts