Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

I still love my Indian and my dealership has taken care of me...

5K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  SFSGM 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey - I'm the first guy to say "You hear way more complaints than good comments" etc. etc. etc.

Well, I've had enough and I am going to rant here! Dammit.

This is also not disputing that some of us have had bad experiences, but...

I have a 2017 Chieftain and I have received good support from Polaris and my dealership.

- Generally courteous and helpful.
- Replaced Ride Command head unit under warranty
- Replaced one of the main wiring harnesses early on
- Have generally taken good care of me and completed their work in reasonable time.

I could complain about the cost which is too high - but I am an old man who now complains about how expensive everything is and tells bored teenagers about when I could buy gas for my high school car for $0.80 per gallon, used to milk cows by hand, blah blah blah.

I have had it up to here... I have decided that if this doesn't change in the future, I am thinking I might...

Buy another Indian

At the same dealership

(But its too expensive and I like my bike)

By the way, my dealership is:
Freedom Powersports of McKinney

McKinney Texas.

Fine print: This is not written to stir up excitable people, inflame trolls, or enrage genuinely disappointed Indian riders. It is mostly true and is written using a touch of sarcasm. The author has been identified occasionally as a butthead, asshole, and/or dick, which are all probably true to some extent and sometimes simultaneously. The author has attempted to use humor to make a point. People who are allergic to humor or experience mental discomfort should refrain from reading further, not get their "panties up in a wad", and should seek medical attention immediately.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've always said... and I watched this forum for about 2 years before joining... that if you didn't know squat about Indian and were doing research on them and came across this web site... you would run not walk to the nearest Harley dealer... I went from Harley to Victory... based on my Victory experience I knew Indian was for me... and figured out right quick that a lot of this complaining was too high of expectations or spoiled RUBe's...

#7 ·
I get what your saying but, I read alot of reviews on different items and it used to amaze me to see someone rate what I know to be a good product one star simply because they tried to use it for something it wasn't intended for ir they're too stupid to fiqure out how to assemble it so its junk in their minds.

Example: The epoxy coating that I put on my garage floor CLEARLY stated do not apply where it will be exposed to any sunlight. One lady complained that it pealed off her uncovered porch.

I know look at all reviews and take an aggregate of the total. Disregard the extremely enthusiastic ones and consider the content and possible source of the negative ones.

#3 ·
Great post! I have a 2014 Chieftain purchased in March of 2014... My experience with my "local" dealerships and dealerships while travelling has been outstanding. The bike itself has been even better than I could have hoped for.

Thanks for sharing something other than the "Squeeky wheel".

#10 ·
I have taken your advice to heart and with slight editing have added it to my signature.

Regards,

#5 ·
Indian of Savannah, (Savannah Motorsports) Georgia has been very good! I've purchased 3 motorcycles from them, and will buy my next one there also. I probably paid too much, every time, but all were fair, hassle free, smooth transactions. I'll probably pay too much next time as well, but it's worth knowing they'll be there when you need service or repairs.
I had a problem last year with a new bike not holding a charge, Bob drove down, picked the bike up, fixed it and brought it back the next day, (I live 115 miles from the dealership)-No Charge.

#6 ·
2015 Roadmaster here in Calgary. Great bike with super service. 52 years of riding many brands including long term HD.
I have no complaints about this bike. The upgrades made to the later handle bar controls are more intuitive but not enough to want a change.
I am very impressed with Indian listening to the customers.

#8 ·
True, but I've watched Harley forums as well and its the same thing over there, endless complaining and problems, but like OP says, thats just about any forum. Most posters on forums don't say "Hey, my Indian (or Harley or Toyota or John Deer or whatever) is running great today, went for a ride and nothing eventful happened, just a nice relaxing ride. Afterwards I swung by the dealership and they honored my expired half off oil change coupon". Except OP in this case, of course.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: MilwDave
#16 ·
In 05' I bought a new Roadstar. Joined The Roadstar Clinic, a great forum. However if I would have read that forum before I bought I might never have bought one and deprived myself of a great bike. Back then it was SVS(sticky valve syndrome). Seemed like every R* had it and I rode the bike just waiting for the symptoms to pop up.
Same here. After I bought my Vintage and I first got on here it seemed every other thread was about clacking and excessive heat. So of course then I'm hearing the clack and feeling the heat way more than if I never would have been told about it. Luckily though I had the R* forum experience and was able to ride and judge for myself. You just learn who the rational members are and who the complainers are. This is a great forum and has really settled down a bit from just complaints and troll, to great useful info. I have only "Ignored" one member, and he just never had anything constructive to say.
Man I love my Vintage. Is it perfect? No. Is it the best bike I have ever owned? Can't say that, I have had good luck with all but 1 bike I have owned. Is it by far the best looking bike I have ever owned? Definitely!! So best looking, great ride, so far very dependable, good people here, I didn't even find the price to outrageous( at least in this day and age).
So put me down as another happy camper who fulfilled a childhood dream of owning an Indian.
Come'on man, this bike is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Cruiser

#17 ·
well i got the indian then i came here. every brand does have its pro's an con's. For me Hd had to many dealerships near me that totally su******
So i heard of a local indian dealership just opened not to far from me. went their , got a great trade price. friendly ppl. every time i go back their for one thing or another. always pleasant. ready to serve. But i have heard a few horror stories about some dealerships (indian). But for most part most are great. They need an want your $$$. So you become a customer an not just their next paycheck. It's been 13 months. still love my indian.

#20 ·
Hey I must be older than you because I bought gas for 29cents. I just had 500 mile service done at McKinney and was well pleased with the service and staff. I purchased in Milwaukee trading in in a 2017 CVO Limited and so happy I did. I’ll know the full story in a few months when I have 30K miles on it.

#21 ·
I have to say that Indian has done a great job. I love my Moto but recently my local dealership let me down. I have a 2018 Scout that I bought new last July so only 2500 miles on it. Never driven in the rain, keep it garaged, etc. etc. - three weeks ago I got rear-ended at low speed. This meant I needed a rear fender put on so parts needed ordered. I was taken to the local Indian dealer (Iron Pony in Westerville Ohio). While I waited on the parts and repairs I asked how the bike would be stored. Inside they said. Well, after two weeks they are done. When I pick up the bike the clutch cable end is rusted, some hex nuts are oxidized, the rubber around the front turn signals is faded and gray (no longer black) and my leather fork back is hard and cracked - wet inside. Long story short, it was stored outside in the rain and not dried off. So now I have rusty parts and have to go through and clean every nook and cranny, grease and try to restore where oxidation was taking place. I know this is something that happens over time but I would never just leave my bike in the rain for days on end.

From now on I will be taking my ride to Indian of Toledo (where I bought it originally) 140 miles north of Columbus. Why did I buy it in Toledo? I couldn’t get a call back from Iron Pony. Guess I should have noted that and heeded the early warning. Too bad too because I really like the guys there and I buy stuff there all the time too.

That’s the end of my mini-rant. Not too bad and I still love my Indian.

#25 ·
Just want to give a shout out to Indian of Springfield Mass... Great service department. Dave, the service manager has taken care of me several times now with last minute services, a resent 20,000 mile service and an interesting "rock through the belt drive" service a few months ago. The sales and support staff are great too. Very nice people. I can highly recommend this dealership...

#26 · (Edited)
Hey - I'm the first guy to say "You hear way more complaints than good comments" etc. etc. etc.

I have a 2017 Chieftain and I have received good support from Polaris and my dealership.

McKinney Texas.

Fine print: This is not written to stir up excitable people, inflame trolls, or enrage genuinely disappointed Indian riders. It is mostly true and is written using a touch of sarcasm. The author has been identified occasionally as a butthead, asshole, and/or dick, which are all probably true to some extent and sometimes simultaneously. The author has attempted to use humor to make a point. People who are allergic to humor or experience mental discomfort should refrain from reading further, not get their "panties up in a wad", and should seek medical attention immediately.
THIS SO ON POINT -

I didn't join or read any posts before I bought my 2107 CDH and that was 15 November 2017 - now with 13,580 mies it is still one of the best riding M/C I have ever owned. . . I still own my 2102 CVO Softail Convertible and a 2015 BMW F700gs - My dealer has done all of my service work and flash updates. I left it totally stock because I have wasted far too Money $$$$$ on HD exhaust systems and only made them LOUDER,
Rant over. . . . .

WD

#27 ·
My funny story.

I used to be a partner in a gas station up until 2003.
People always complained about the price of gas.

anyways, my story,

My Dad and I would discuss the price of things, and especially gas. He said back in the 50's, he could buy gas for 33 cents per gallon, and he made 93 cents per hour. (he could buy 3 gallons of gas for an hours work)

I said "sure". Today. gas was $5.00 a gallon (Canadian prices) and I make $30 per hour. Therefore I can buy 6 gallons of gas for an hours work.

Gas is half the price that it was back then.

--
Gordon

#28 ·

• Generally courteous and helpful.
  • Replaced Ride Command head unit under warranty
  • Replaced one of the main wiring harnesses early on
  • Have generally taken good care of me and completed their work in reasonable time.

I could complain about the cost which is too high - but I am an old man who now complains about how expensive everything is and tells bored teenagers about when I could buy gas for my high school car for $0.80 per gallon, used to milk cows by hand, blah blah blah.

I have had it up to here... I have decided that if this doesn't change in the future, I am thinking I might...

Buy another Indian

At the same dealership

(But its too expensive and I like my bike)

McKinney Texas.

Ha ha. You're "old" and can remember gas being 80 cents a gallon when you were in high school? That would have been highway robbery when I was in high school. But then, too, McDonals had only sold about one million hamburgers then. :)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.