Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 18 Chieftain limited for 24,600. MSRP was 28,600... I thought 4K off a 18 model was great because 19 models were in and I actually liked the 18 better and it was a great deal. But now I see 2020 chieftain limited for like 21 and change online. I feel like I should have waited and I effed up. Could have got my a good challenger for that or a road master. I’m not happy. What you guys think. If I trade or resell I’m gonna loose thousands and thousands. Guess I gotta keep my girl like my wife. Lmao.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
One thing about life is that we always have 20?20 hindsight. We often don't see the outcomes of our actions beforehand. The big cruiser/bagger market is shrinking and demand isn't quite what it was a couple years ago but Indian somehow manages to increase their market share. Leftover bikes are being discounted to make room for the new models. Whatever the reason for the bigger discounts is it's a good thing for the purchaser right now. Enjoy that 2018 another year or two and get your use out of it instead of the money. These bikes are meant to be ridden & enjoyed. Have fun.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I bought a little before I was ready just because the '18's were out and I didn't like what they had to offer so I picked up the bike I wanted before it was gone. Knowing what I know now, I could have talked down the price a little. I have had no regrets because I have bought the best bike Indian has made. If you bought something you don't like you are a victim of marketing propaganda. If you like what you have then you made a good choice.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I sometimes feel the same way.. I bought a 19 chieftain and two weeks later they came out with the 2020 w/factory 116 and updated nav.. then a month later they came out with the challenger.. But think of it this way (which makes me feel better), do you want the company you support to innovate and move forward or keep putting out the same tired design so you still feel relevant? Innovate I say. Enjoy the ride and in a few years they will announce something you just have to have , then you'll know it's the right time to trade or sell. Just my outlook..

Btw.. the 21k and change is for the absolute base model im guessing and sounds like you did not get the base.. I say enjoy what you have because that's the bike you wanted in the first place.. also, you didn't get a bad deal on it and everybody loses their ass when buying new.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,336 Posts
And exactly the very reason two years ago I went on CycleTrader.com and found a 2016 Springfield with ONLY 1400 miles on its odometer at a BMW motorcycle dealership in Chicago, and paid only $14,600 for it (tax/license and shipping it here to Sedona a total of about $16,000), AND one with stage 1 and 2 kits on it AND one of Indian's WAY overpriced racks and passenger backrest on it, too.

A then new 2018 Springfield with all that stuff would've set me back $23,000 or more out the door.

(...point is, do your due diligence, and then let the other guy who bought it new get hit with the inevitable big depreciation once he rides it out of the showroom)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I just got an email from Indian offering 2750 off on trade, maybe that would help you? At any rate, at the price and depreciation on these bikes, I will probably only buy lightly used from here on out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I felt I got a good deal between price and trade when I bought my 18 SDH. 7 months later I saw a better deal but I would have missed the 7 months on a great bike. Always a good deal coming or an improved bike. If you felt comfortable with the deal at the time hold on to that. Don’t let “what if’s” sour todays ride.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Happens all the time,, I think the shrinks call it "cognitive disonence" (sp) aka buyers remorse.. Lots of examples lay in the biking world we are all part of.. Yamaha SVTC/Eluder riders really took one for the team recently when first year buyers paid 28k for their bikes just to see Yamaha not able to sell that model and left overs started popping up for 16k (Eluders even took it worse) for exactly the same bike.. Unknowingly, in one quick stroke of the pricing pen, Yamaha hugely devalued the used models of those same bikes.. If you happen to have an SVTC that you are wanting to trade in on an Indian of the same model year you are likely to hear MAYBE 10k offered on trade in..
Then there were those who bought a new Victory at MSRP the night before Polaris pulled the line.. The day after that happened a bike those same people paid 23k for a bike the exact bike from the exact dealership could be had for 1/2 of that.
I think the key to surviving it all is just to look at what you bought at the time and why you bought it. You probably bought it cause it made you happy looking forward to all the fun you would have on it.. Just ride it and have fun on it... Dont look backwards,, look forward!!

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
a 2020 Chieftain Limited for 21K?... something is up... if you like the design of the 18's no worries... I have mine and that's why I bought it... not enough difference to me to trade...

Reactions: Sturgis85

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
I bought my 2019 rm in may. Not long after, the 2020s came out with the 116. Could I have waited? Sure. Did I see that coming? No. Would I have waited if I did know? Nope. Whatever time I had on the bike between purchase and when the new ones might have been available was worth every penny.

Enjoy your bike, it's about the ride and enjoyment, not the money.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well, think of it like this. Why not wait until 2021? And if you're that patient, then how about 2022? Hey, maybe 2023 will be the year of the Power Plus Turbo 200, and damn you'll have really missed out. By 2025 or 30, who knows, an Indian with a jet engine...? It becomes an exercise in futility. You play the waiting game so long you miss out on the here and now. Enjoy your bike and forget about the other stuff. Besides, is it worth the wait to go a little faster when all these bikes will do the job?

FYI, I've been wondering the same...should I wait. I finally said "F it" and settled on a '19 Chieftain Classic at a good price despite the 116 and Challenger models out there (maybe would have gone for a '20 if the classic came in a 116, but it doesn't). I'm too old to wait, and I'm gonna enjoy it. Hope you do the same.

·
Rider
639 Posts
Well, think of it like this. Why not wait until 2021? And if you're that patient, then how about 2022? Hey, maybe 2023 will be the year of the Power Plus Turbo 200, and damn you'll have really missed out. By 2025 or 30, who knows, an Indian with a jet engine...? It becomes an exercise in futility. You play the waiting game so long you miss out on the here and now. Enjoy your bike and forget about the other stuff. Besides, is it worth the wait to go a little faster when all these bikes will do the job?

FYI, I've been wondering the same...should I wait. I finally said "F it" and settled on a '19 Chieftain Classic at a good price despite the 116 and Challenger models out there (maybe would have gone for a '20 if the classic came in a 116, but it doesn't). I'm too old to wait, and I'm gonna enjoy it. Hope you do the same.
I'm going to be 67 in May and everyday that passes by is a day you're never getting back! I bought a new 17 limited because I wanted an unmolested NEW bike thinking the next one will have 3 wheels! 2 years have passed AND I STILL HAVENT GOTTEN TO ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS I WANT!! My life has just FLOWN by and I tell people the 111 is more than enough I want to slow time down!! I want to enjoy the journey as much as the destination! I have too many things I want to do and too many roads I haven't had time to travel!! So I say buy it! Ride it! Enjoy every minute and mile because this is not a dress rehearsal you do not get to do this twice!! There will always be a newer, faster piece of iron, BUT will you be here to enjoy it!! MAKE EVERY MINUTE COUNT!

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
You don't say when you bought the 2018 and how long you've ridden, either in time or miles. But I'm guessing it's long enough ago for you to let prices go their own way and to continue to enjoy the bike.

We never win in the 'good deal' wars. There will always be something better or cheaper or newer or more specced up, or a nicer color, or ... just keep adding things here.

The 'good deal' war is played out in our mind more than on the showroom floor. We don't have to accept the invitation to attend.

·
Registered
459 Posts
This is life; there always seems to be a better deal to be had once you have parted with your cash. I bought a 2018 Roadmaster with 3k miles on it for £17k, a bargain I thought, fast forward a few months and a 2019 comes up with 100 miles in an HD Dealer for £19k this had the upgrades of rear cylinder deactivation and ride modes etc. This week I went to the dealer to look at Challenger and asked what they would give me for my Roadmaster and was quoted £14k, i've only had the bike 6 months and would lose £3k. They went on to tell me they are pretty much worthless as they have so many 18 and 19 bikes unsold plus the arrival of the Challenger. They are now offering new 19 Roadmasters at £22k to try and shift them. So guess I will just stick with what I have for now and enjoy it for as long as as possible, there is no point in thinking what if?

·
Read Only
416 Posts
Anything with wheels will drop in value as soon as you drive it off the lot and that's new or used. I traded my '15 CVO Road Glide Ultra for Cochise before my CVO value dropped any further. It was falling like a rock and went from $41,000 new in July 2015 to below half that in 3.5 years and was dropping every month. Indian dealer made me a deal on the bike I had been watching for a year (color wise) which was also his last '18 in a shop full of '19s. I was happy with the deal but I'm sure there was still money left on the table. Isn't there always? Somebody always gets either a better or worse deal than you. If I find myself mostly in the middle on those type discussions, I done gooder! I love riding the Chieftain every time I swing my leg over and the wife still wonders why we waited so long to change brands so money well spent.

·
Rider
985 Posts
Would've, Could've and Should've! Just ride it and enjoy it! There are always going to be "Perceived" good deal out there. Some more than others.

I bought my 19 SF new in Jan 19. Got the bike I wanted for what I thought was a good price in the color I wanted. No regrets! I rode that bike in January 19 and am still riding it this February 2020.

Guess what? STILL LOVE THIS BIKE! Even more than when I bought it. Every time I go out to the garage I say "Wow what a nice bike! Glad I got it!".

So in the words of Damien Blade “I think you all oughta get back on your bikes and go out and ride the highway, until you remember what riding's all about.”

·
Registered
499 Posts
I bought my bike new in June of last year. At the time, there were rumors about the challenger which I was really interested in. Even though I love the challenger and it is most likely my next bike I am really glad I bought mine when I did. I've enjoyed 9,000 miles and a trip to Colorado to see my family. I don't worry about the better deal somewhere because they will always be there.

Phil

·
Rider
569 Posts
Relax. In the overall picture of life, it’s not a big deal. You have a great bike and you are riding. Don’t beat yourself up. Would of, should of, could of is all around us. As I get older, I look at the glass being half full a lot more than I did when I wore a younger man’s clothes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts