Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Founding member
1,149 Posts
My numbers aren't even close to yours, but here is a link that will give you the info you're asking and a factual example of why numbers are only part of the equation, as you well know. Yes all in good fun, I enjoy your posts on here and have for a long time. I'll be taking my Mrs to some appointments and likely can't make lunch, but you never know. I honestly do want to meet you one day and honestly would love to run our bikes to earn some Forum bragging rights. The fuel moto dyno sheet in the post I'm linking is legit and that is the bike my Chieftain smoked 3 times and both knew there was no reason to run them again until he upped his game.... Very good friend of mine from here at work is the owner of the Road Glide...

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
693 Posts
I was having lunch today at a biker bar and grill. I was wearing my Indian cap and some guy wearing the typical Harley "uniform" (lots of chains and leather) noticed my hat and made sure he raised his voice enough that I could hear him bragging to the other guys at his table (I assumed they were also harley riders) about what great bikes Harleys were, how fast they were and how no other bike was even in their league. Being a patient sort I just ignored his comments, and happened to notice that his T shirt had the big ! (one) on it, which was from the days when Harley ruled the motorcycle races.

When I finished lunch and was leaving I made sure to walk close to his table and just mentioned that he must be wearing an old T shirt (because Indian has been kicking their butt for the past few years). I wasn't sure if he was going to start crying or come up swinging, but I continued on my way and never looked back.
Harley has not done better than i think one or two 3rd places per race season since Indian got back into racing i believe.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,416 Posts
My numbers aren't even close to yours, but here is a link that will give you the info you're asking and a factual example of why numbers are only part of the equation, as you well know. Yes all in good fun, I enjoy your posts on here and have for a long time. I'll be taking my Mrs to some appointments and likely can't make lunch, but you never know. I honestly do want to meet you one day and honestly would love to run our bikes to earn some Forum bragging rights. The fuel moto dyno sheet in the post I'm linking is legit and that is the bike my Chieftain smoked 3 times and both knew there was no reason to run them again until he upped his game.... Very good friend of mine from here at work is the owner of the Road Glide...

Thanks I’m looking forward to meet up with you I’m in Kansas all the time. I ride to Lawrence for BBQ sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have found that when I wonder up in a lone Harley rider, they are generally Friendly and like to chat about the bikes, and ask questions about my Chieftain Darkhorse, we talk and wish each other well and go our separate ways. BUT, when I run up on a group of HD riders, that’s when I get the sneers and the “why didn’t you buy a Harley?” That’s the point where I generally smile and show them the ass end of the CDH.
I tell my friends that ride Harleys, that I go along to to keep them in line, Just in case someone needs proof of “American Power“!

·
Registered
309 Posts
2019 Road Glide Special Stage lll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like a nice bike that has had some tweaking. Wish I could see it and we go for a blast down the track
My Hammer S is not as quick as my V rod in a straight line but I can out corner and out brake the HD. I was going to buy another HD when I test rode a few, Victory's. Naturally I bought the Hammer, have been pleasantly surprised with its possessive and I have riden it hard and still have original clutch, a surprise as normally in my HD's a clutch is up graded very quickly. Only 1 one HD has been able to stay with me off the line ( not including V rods) as we all know the take off is most of the drag . I have done a lot of racing so holeshot is everything. I raised my Hammer for better cornering also with some motor fine tuning. It is good fun racing each other like teenagers ha ha. I can do front wheel skids on the Victory.
I can not compare my Hammer to the Indian (RM) but I am interested in what the Challenger is like, stats & specs is one thing but how you use that throttle and clutch is the final result. Still love stirring the pot down the local watering hole which motorcycle company is No1 ha ha

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have had some really good friends who rode Harleys. What matters is the individual, not the brand. Here are a couple of my favorite stories.

I once had some friend fly out from the east coast and rent Harleys. At the time, my only bike was the 1980 CB650 Honda I'd inherited from my Grandfather. Single cam, actual displacement 636cc. I rode it hard. I'm restoring it now, but that's another story. Well, I met up with this gaggle of guys on very nice rented Harleys, and we rode a bit to the first scenic spot. Stopped, took pictures, everyone mounted back up and I took off. I took it easy, because I knew I was more experienced and more into fast riding that a lot of the group. Rode off at a gentle pace, looked back after a few seconds expecting everyone to be right behind me.... they were half a mile back. I had half the displacement, by bike was decades older, and they just couldn't keep up. That's embarassing. I don't know much of it was the riders, but out of the whole group not one kept up with a guy on a 1980 CB650 who was taking it easy.

Worst example of a gaggle of HD riders reinforcing their own stupidity. My wife and I were in Yellowstone, driving back from picking up a pair of puppies from a breeder. Pulled over to enjoy a view, and while we were there a group of people on Harleys who were wearing every HD branded article of clothing in the catalog pulled up and blocked us in! I was in reverse, about to leave, so my reverse lights were on and it was a real, oblivious, douchebag move to block me in. So I rolled down my window and said "would you mind letting us out?" Well, the guy who was parked in the worst spot tried to move his bike and tipped it over. I got out to help him get it back on its wheels, and as I was getting back in the car, one of them said "that's what happens when you ask a guy to move his bike." I kept my "no, that's what happens when you don't have any actual riding skill or consideration for others" comment to myself.

But again, any brand has some jerks riding their bikes. I've ridden thousands of very pleasant miles alongside HDs. There are good people on every brand too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I see a pack of leathered out doo rag Harley riders, this is the image I get in my head... LOL

View attachment 596244

(I was offered a cool 80's Evo chopper for a couple G's, may take him up on it.) I actually like the bikes, just not the wannabees.
That is funny. All makes have a rider image. I owned a few Ducatis and those guys all think they are racers. Fat guys in Dainese Onesies are hilarious.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was having lunch today at a biker bar and grill. I was wearing my Indian cap and some guy wearing the typical Harley "uniform" (lots of chains and leather) noticed my hat and made sure he raised his voice enough that I could hear him bragging to the other guys at his table (I assumed they were also harley riders) about what great bikes Harleys were, how fast they were and how no other bike was even in their league. Being a patient sort I just ignored his comments, and happened to notice that his T shirt had the big ! (one) on it, which was from the days when Harley ruled the motorcycle races.

When I finished lunch and was leaving I made sure to walk close to his table and just mentioned that he must be wearing an old T shirt (because Indian has been kicking their butt for the past few years). I wasn't sure if he was going to start crying or come up swinging, but I continued on my way and never looked back.
I tend to tease the HD guys too. Most of my riding friends ride Harleys, so we tease each other all the time.
But the Best one I’ve read lately came off this site. Something like “Hey did You see that New Harley? Not since Second Gear!” Now That’s FUNNY Stuff!

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
693 Posts
I tend to tease the HD guys too. Most of my riding friends ride Harleys, so we tease each other all the time.
But the Best one I’ve read lately came off this site. Something like “Hey did You see that New Harley? Not since Second Gear!” Now That’s FUNNY Stuff!
Dad's first bike was a 47 flathead with a suicide clutch, before switching to Indian because as he said, his future brother-in-law educated him. My uncle is native American and eventually put himself through college racing Indians. So when i was allowed to buy my first bike i was told that: "We are educated men therefore we ride Indians, cause only knuckle dragging aps ride Harleys. And if you can't ride a Indian you ride a Honda". I rode Honda's for years before i bought a 2007 Yamaha V-star 1100. Now i own a 2019 scout, Chieftain classic, both in Willow green and cream, along with my Yamaha and a 84 700 Magna. My first bike was a used 74 CB350F.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
here you go, I posted it originally
E577E29C-3931-4B81-BD4F-0CC9EDF88DED.jpeg

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
A6732AEC-D61A-40FD-914B-3BA0247774CE.jpeg

Another favourite

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
2016 Chief DH Stage II
764 Posts
I don't give a shit what brand bike another biker rides... 🤷‍♂️

There's many douches (and a few cool dudes too) on any brand.
yup. i just can't imagine investing time and energy into worrying about stuff like that. a friendly ribbing is one thing but elitists on either brand are a joke and not welcome in my circle.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts