Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having lunch today at a biker bar and grill. I was wearing my Indian cap and some guy wearing the typical Harley "uniform" (lots of chains and leather) noticed my hat and made sure he raised his voice enough that I could hear him bragging to the other guys at his table (I assumed they were also harley riders) about what great bikes Harleys were, how fast they were and how no other bike was even in their league. Being a patient sort I just ignored his comments, and happened to notice that his T shirt had the big ! (one) on it, which was from the days when Harley ruled the motorcycle races.

When I finished lunch and was leaving I made sure to walk close to his table and just mentioned that he must be wearing an old T shirt (because Indian has been kicking their butt for the past few years). I wasn't sure if he was going to start crying or come up swinging, but I continued on my way and never looked back.

·
Silver member
5,030 Posts
I love messing with Harley guys but only in good fun. Best line I still use is when they tell me that I ride. snow mobile and I tell them it’s sad when a snow mobile company make a better bike.
Not to mention, HD had a snowmobile edition in the 70 when AMF owned them. And it was actually had the same paint scheme as some of the HD paint jobs, :cool:

Harley-Davidson-Snowmobile-Vintage-Ad.jpg

·
Silver member
5,164 Posts
Lets not forget that Harley also made golf carts.
So Harley was into Bowling and golf.... and some people laugh because Indian is owned by a company who makes snow mobiles, quads, boats, etc etc... I'll take the snow mobiles, quads, and boats over bowling and golf any day...Haha.
As long as the joking is all in fun; who cares what we ride. I love motorcycles of most brands so makes no difference to me what someone rides.

·
Rider
1,142 Posts
Us non Harley riders in Kentucky are not common. I stopped one Saturday at Settlers Trace by Taylorsville state park (lots of riders stop there for breaks - met some nice people) and there was a Harley group ride stopped, at least 40 bikes. I was the only non Harley there. Could have been my imagination but outside of one person it seemed like I was studiously ignored.
That said, I have had a number of genial chats with Harley riders. I have also been looked at as a turd in the punch bowl. I dig loyalty to your bike, but really? It's so juvenile. I think it is also because I wear a full faced helmet and an armored jacket while they are all in t shirts and do rags. I'm the pussy that must be ignored. LOL

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
I ride with a group that is 98% HD, and I constantly get the gears about the Indian, I usually just respond with “at least I didn’t drink the purple Kool-aid”. It usually shuts them up!

Reactions: Thundercat

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was having lunch today at a biker bar and grill. I was wearing my Indian cap and some guy wearing the typical Harley "uniform" (lots of chains and leather) noticed my hat and made sure he raised his voice enough that I could hear him bragging to the other guys at his table (I assumed they were also harley riders) about what great bikes Harleys were, how fast they were and how no other bike was even in their league. Being a patient sort I just ignored his comments, and happened to notice that his T shirt had the big ! (one) on it, which was from the days when Harley ruled the motorcycle races.

When I finished lunch and was leaving I made sure to walk close to his table and just mentioned that he must be wearing an old T shirt (because Indian has been kicking their butt for the past few years). I wasn't sure if he was going to start crying or come up swinging, but I continued on my way and never looked back.
[/QUOTE
Excellent 😆😆😆😆

·
Rider
643 Posts
I have found that when I wonder up in a lone Harley rider, they are generally Friendly and like to chat about the bikes, and ask questions about my Chieftain Darkhorse, we talk and wish each other well and go our separate ways. BUT, when I run up on a group of HD riders, that’s when I get the sneers and the “why didn’t you buy a Harley?” That’s the point where I generally smile and show them the ass end of the CDH.

·
Rider
401 Posts
The Harley Davidson bike is a gentleman's machine driven by Hooligans. The Indian is a hooligans bike ridden by Gentlemen. Both are fine machines. My mentors for getting back into riding were all HD riders. But I think gentlemen should be a little discriminating on their choice of drinking establishments.

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
960 Posts
Here's a couple short stories from over the years;

1. Back in 2003 some friends and I rode down to the Little Sturgis Rally in Sturgis Mississippi. Of course I was on my old Gilroy 2K Chief. On the way back we stopped at an old country store just west of Sturgis, Boo Koo bikes, mostly hd's. I was out on a porch having a drink where a bunch of the hd riders were talking about the upcoming hd 100th anniversary convention at the mothership, and how not many bike companies have been in business for 100 years. I told them they all should go, 100th year anniversaries were rare and great, of course us Indian Riders had ours 2 years ago. Everyone laughed, but they also changed the subject.

2. We were at the Myrtle Beach Rally back in the spring of 04 having a few beers outside of a biker bar enjoying the live entertainment. Soon after we got there a large bunch of hd riders came out back and sat down at the tables around us. The guy singing was great, and as we were getting ready to leave I walked up to him with a tip and a request. I asked him to play a song for all my hd friends in the audience. He asked what song and I said anything by Elton John (he had been the star at the 100th hd anniversary convention the summer before). He laughed and said no way, those guys out there will kill my asss. We both laughed and I walked away saying, well, I tried.

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Scout Sixty
229 Posts
Lets not forget that Harley also made golf carts.
So Harley was into Bowling and golf.... and some people laugh because Indian is owned by a company who makes snow mobiles, quads, boats, etc etc... I'll take the snow mobiles, quads, and boats over bowling and golf any day...Haha.
As long as the joking is all in fun; who cares what we ride. I love motorcycles of most brands so makes no difference to me what someone rides.
And they made RVs. The Holiday Rambler

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of my most memorable times of being around Harleys was I think in the 60's. My best friend Bill and I rode Honda 305 Super Hawks. Bill was in his early 20's stood about 6'5 and went about 280 lbs (his 305 had to be modified to 350 just to haul him around). We stopped to get something cold to drink in a small town that only had one bar, and in the street just outside the bar were a number of Harleys. After we parked out bikes and were getting ready to go inside one of the Harley guys walked out and seeing the two Hondas made a few snide comments and then said "Would a real man ride something like that"? Bill walked up behind him and tapped him on the head, and when the guy turned around, Bill who was about 8 inches and 100 lbs bigger than the Harley rider, said very calmly "That's my motorcycle". I'll admit, the Harley guy was pretty quick thinking and said "Damn, you're big enough to go bear hunting with a stick", and I'd like to buy you a beer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw him again a few years ago when I was at the Corbin factory having a seat made for my Triumph. He's an old fart and hasn't aged well.

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
I saw him again a few years ago when I was at the Corbin factory having a seat made for my Triumph. He's an old fart and hasn't aged well.
Regardless of him having his best days in the past ... at the end he is on an Indian (before he had a Victory)! I imagine the Harley folks are not gonna like it

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 69 Posts