Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mountain range Mountainous landforms Vehicle Alps Road

Hello! My name is Wesley White and I am 25 years of age. Last year, riding my 2016 Indian Scout, I embarked on a cross country adventure by myself. I rode roughly 9,000 miles over the course of one month, which is the equivalent to 1/3 of the Earth's circumference. I left from my hometown of Bristol, VA, riding through many major cities across the United States. I traversed the country, rode down the entire west coast, visited monuments and national parks, camped, couch surfed, and cruised back home to the east coast. It was my intention to travel the country, meeting all types of people and experience our nation as whole. I wanted to develop a relationship with my Scout and meet the people of our country. My great grandfather road a Chief in his younger years and my father rides a Roadmaster, so I suppose you could say that Indian runs in my veins. I have been following Indian's comeback, and it is easy to tell that the company has great momentum and doesn't plan on slowing down anytime soon. 9,000 miles was a decent trip, but I'd like to do something on a more colossal scale. I have a decent job at a utility company in Charlotte, NC, but there are many days that I wake up and realize that I'm not really doing anything I want to be doing. I work in order to pay off the student loans that I accumulated in order to work. I have a salary that pays for my loft apartment and musical equipment, but I don't really care for any of this, and it seems as though I have just wound up in this position because it was what was expected of me by the American social norm. My lease is up at the end of February, and I have been contemplating selling most of what I own and going on a ride. A very, very big ride. This may sound rash, but I promise you, I am thinking more clearly than I have ever before.

I have a vision for a documentary. The focus of the documentary would be to follow someone (me) on a great journey with a single motorcycle, while tracing the history of Indian Motorcycle back to its roots. Also included could be interviews with fellow Indian riders all over the world and perhaps notable figures that support Indian Motorcycles (i.e. Mark Wahlberg). In today's day and age, streaming services such as Netflix, HBONow, Amazon and Hulu tend to be the preference of most people for watching entertainment. By 2020, Netflix's revenue is expected to quintuple to 11 billion dollars. There is an extraordinary documentary on Netflix titled 180 degree south. It has a similar feel to what I envision for this film. I feel as though it would be beneficial to Indian Motorcycle as a whole if a documentary of this sort were added to these services. Indian Motorcycle's social media accounts could follow the journey on all platforms, keeping its followers up to date on the adventure, and creating excitement for the actual release of the documentary.

This documentary could broaden Indian's demographic and aid in propelling the company into the position of longevity that I know it hopes to achieve. I'm going to do something big, and I want it to be of benefit to the company, as I have a deep seeded and rich love for Indian Motorcycle. This being said, I need connections. I need to get this idea in front of someone at Indian Motorcycle that could potentially share the same love for an idea like this. If anyone has any idea of how to contact someone higher up in the company who may want to be a part of this or aid in it coming to fruition, please let me know. I would love your advice and opinions on a documentary like this. What are your thoughts?

Email: [email protected]
Facebook: www.facebook.com/WWhite22
Instagram: wesley_troy

Old Indians never die.

Regards,
Wesley T White

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
Lofty goals you got there. But as they say, do you want to look back 50 years from now and say "I wish I had...". So my thought is do it. But do it with a plan. Write a letter to the Scott Wine explaining the concept. Also, I would find someone with some documentary experience for advice. Documentaries are not that easy to do and make interesting. Lots of editing. Check with the closest university for some help, checking with communication or film majors. Sounds like a big project and more than can be done by only one person. Unless you rarely want to appear on camera. Being married to someone who is majoring in communication (masters level) and who is also very involved in the local film scene, to the point of dragging me into local and Hollywood backed films as an extra, I see what it takes to get even a 30 minute film done. I wish you the best of luck in your venture.

·
Founding member
1,110 Posts
Spent all my money on motorcycles and travel.

Rode all 48 states,some more than once.Rain.wind even snow.Cold,hot just kept riding.

My wife and I have memories that money can't buy! Health now dictates our rides are hours long,not days.

Do what you want but remember,time passes all to quickly.

·
Bronze member
1,652 Posts
And Wes, if you really want to trace Indians history and lineage, you best plan on spending a considerable amount of time in Springfield, MA,….as that's where it all started. Read a book call Iron ******* and you'll get a crash history course in the fantastic life of Hendee Manufacturings evolution to the Indian Motocycle; NOTE; No "R"!

Have fun; remember the tape is on fast forward; no stop, no pause and most definitely, no reverse! Wheels down!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all of the replies! I'm glad I was able to share my idea and experience.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Troy22...............you are one hell of a man................especially on a Scout. You did 9,000 miles one month and I shudder at a 90 mile drive on mine. I salute you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Troy22...............you are one hell of a man................especially on a Scout. You did 9,000 miles one month and I shudder at a 90 mile drive on mine. I salute you
Thank you for the respect. I greatly appreciate it! I just like to ride. A lot.

·
Silver member
4,714 Posts
Troy22, what a great adventure! Congratulations on the ride and I hope you many more. I agree with post #2 about getting in touch with Scott Wine as well as someone experienced in documentaries. I would look at "The American Dream Project" for ideas and/or contacts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Troy22, what a great adventure! Congratulations on the ride and I hope you many more. I agree with post #2 about getting in touch with Scott Wine as well as someone experienced in documentaries. I would look at "The American Dream Project" for ideas and/or contacts.
I hadn't seen The American Dream Project. Thanks for the info! It looks like a pretty cool series. I messaged Scott Wine on LinkedIn. Not sure how else I should attempt to contact him.

·
Silver member
4,714 Posts
I hadn't seen The American Dream Project. Thanks for the info! It looks like a pretty cool series. I messaged Scott Wine on LinkedIn. Not sure how else I should attempt to contact him.
I've watched it on Netflix. As far as Scott Wine, write a letter summarizing what your goal for the project is. Keep it to one page and do it by snail mail. Close by asking his help to bring this fruition; perhaps through sponsorship, marketing support, or other means of support.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've watched it on Netflix. As far as Scott Wine, write a letter summarizing what your goal for the project is. Keep it to one page and do it by snail mail. Close by asking his help to bring this fruition; perhaps through sponsorship, marketing support, or other means of support.
Okay good idea. I will definitely do that. Have you seen the documentary on Netflix titled 180 Degrees South? It is similar to what I would like to do. It follows a man recreating a road trip taken by the founders of The North Face and Patagonia on a 10,000 mile journey from Southern California to Patagonia. I think this would be great on my Scout. I'd like to leave from my hometown of Bristol, VA. I estimate it would be about 15,000 miles one way. Sounds fun! I mean I know it seems like a big trip, but I'm 100% confident that I could achieve it. When I was on the road on my initial journey, I couldn't count the amount of times that I said to myself, "Hell, I could just keep riding forever." I'm just content with a life of exploration, adventure and uncertainty.

·
Silver member
4,714 Posts
Have you seen the documentary on Netflix titled 180 Degrees South? It is similar to what I would like to do. It follows a man recreating a road trip taken by the founders of The North Face and Patagonia on a 10,000 mile journey from Southern California to Patagonia.
No, but I will put it on my list.

I think this would be great on my Scout. I'd like to leave from my hometown of Bristol, VA. I estimate it would be about 15,000 miles one way. Sounds fun! I mean I know it seems like a big trip, but I'm 100% confident that I could achieve it. When I was on the road on my initial journey.
Yes, an awesome goal! Just remember, when selling your vision, make sure to clearly state the added value your trip will provide to the one(s) you are selling it to.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think it's a great idea. If you agree to split royalties with them if they fund the project, AND KNOW THE HISTORY OF INDIAN they may go along with the idea. It would be great marketing. If they don't think it will grow the brand they will not have a reason to help. Also your gonna need to find enough sponsors, and a filmer. A full length film would be a lot of work, but you may set up a career you love out of it. I wish you the best of luck. If you come down to Alabama you can hit me up, I'd be willing to ride some with you and/or let you interview me also (if you do interview Indian riders). Anyways good luck dude.

·
Rider
475 Posts
Well done on your ride. I did about a 6k ride from Vermont to Colorado and back thru Canada when I was around your age. All back roads, camping, and meeting new people. Great memories.

For documentaries, I enjoyed "Long way round". More of a big budget production - but I found it entertaining.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's a great story. Love the connection with your dad and great grandfather. Sounds like you really have a passion for motorcycling and Indian is a big part of that passion. Good luck and look forward to reading/hearing more about the next adventure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts