Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an Idea I'm throwing around. Anyone Interested?
Text Font

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
United Sidecar association has a print version also. Great idea.

Reactions: PrometheusVII

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BMWOA, BMW Omners Club Of America sends you a book when you join, called BMW Owners Anonymous.
It is a list of people who volunteer help, space, trailers, shop work, etc. just like you propose.
Cool, but we didn't buy BMWs, so...

It's a good idea....there is a group on FaceBook called the North American
Biker Rescue group that does basically the same thing. But an Indian only group is a good idea too.
Right, but what better excuse to meet new fellow Indian riders, than helping a Brother or Sister out of a jam?

Interesting! Would be nice if we were held harmless from any bad incidents that may occur!!
Yes. There would have to be some disclaimers, and rules of conduct. Like, "You're always responsible for your own machine. If you don't feel comfortable with the help, assistance or safety of you or your machine, say so, decline the help and call a tow truck." Sounded like common sense/courtesy in my head, but I guess it would need written in some sort of Rules.

Great Ideas. Keep them coming. If there is enough interest, I'll start compiling a database and maybe I can hang it here. Hopefully an admin can chime in and let me know. Remember this would be free. Free to use, any help would be offered free, free to decline (your schedule may not allow), and free to revoke your offer at any time.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'd think it would be more appropriate for Indian to do this, than for us to. Note that nearly all the examples cited are manufacturer offerings. The forum is real-time...so posting "help needed at milepost xxx on I-85N in xxxxxxxxxxtown, VA" should get the job done, shouldn't it?

Alternatively, anyone planning a long ride or tour might make "who's along my way, just in case" type of post as part of their trip planning?

Just a couple of thoughts on the matter, that's all....

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Just an Idea I'm throwing around. Anyone Interested?
View attachment 290329
I like the logo for sure!

We're having parallel discussions about this issue in another thread, and the main concerns from admin seem to be privacy and liability--which is totally understandable. I would definitely be interested in participating in something like this if a way could be found to do it keeping those concerns in mind. It would be a step outside the traditional scope of a discussion forum and I'm not sure how the mechanics of it would work out, but the idea of a helping community of riders who can easily put out a request for help to those nearby and capable of rendering aid is very appealing.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
Moderators/owners concerns can simply be addressed though a disclaimer. We all accepted the rules of conduct on this forum and an addition to the rules publishe'd would obviously be adhered to. I see no liability for them. People freely advertise bikes and stuff for sale all the time with personal info.

I say run with the page and anyone that wishes to opt in, can do so.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I'm in. Can help with tools, deliver gas etc. Not looking for riding buddies and don't want to be a tour guide.

I am in northern Arizona near Prescott.

928-830-4505.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Membership in IRON could be conditioned on an on-line, "check the box" set of three acknowledgments. I'm happy to help with the language: (i) acknowledgement that participation is voluntary (i.e., no money paid/not a consumer); (ii) waiver of liability; and (iii) hold harmless for any loss that occurs. I can't help with the IT side, but I can help with the content side.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I'd think it would be more appropriate for Indian to do this, than for us to. Note that nearly all the examples cited are manufacturer offerings. The forum is real-time...so posting "help needed at milepost xxx on I-85N in xxxxxxxxxxtown, VA" should get the job done, shouldn't it?

Alternatively, anyone planning a long ride or tour might make "who's along my way, just in case" type of post as part of their trip planning?

Just a couple of thoughts on the matter, that's all....
I agree with Neil. It would be great if IMRG got their act together and supported such an effort by culling together each chapter that would register for such assistance. But the IMRG National track record isn't all that great. It is basically a one person group under IMC - e.g., Kaylene..

Steve's idea of an App for it makes perfect sense. Perhaps it can be an add-on to the IMC supported App - Ride Command - yes there is a modified app version (previously called Rider)

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I agree with Neil. It would be great if IMRG got their act together and supported such an effort by culling together each chapter that would register for such assistance. But the IMRG National track record isn't all that great. It is basically a one person group under IMC - e.g., Kaylene..
I think this would take some initial coding and work from admin, but it would sure add a lot of value to being a member of this forum. 98% would never use it, but would be nice to know you have that safety net out there if riding away from home, and the idea of helping out fellow bikers is probably very appealing to a lot of the members here--judging by how many are veterans and public servants they seem like a group ready, willing and able to help. I'm not sure what it would take to get this rolling, but I think you'd find a lot of support for it among the members. There are a lot of talented folks on here who I'm sure would volunteer to help out with this--I certainly would. Just my thoughts. I realize you don't run this whole shebang, but maybe you've got a little more traction with the bosses than the rest of us.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
I think this would take some initial coding and work from admin, but it would sure add a lot of value to being a member of this forum. 98% would never use it, but would be nice to know you have that safety net out there if riding away from home, and the idea of helping out fellow bikers is probably very appealing to a lot of the members here--judging by how many are veterans and public servants they seem like a group ready, willing and able to help. I'm not sure what it would take to get this rolling, but I think you'd find a lot of support for it among the members. There are a lot of talented folks on here who I'm sure would volunteer to help out with this--I certainly would. Just my thoughts. I realize you don't run this whole shebang, but maybe you've got a little more traction with the bosses than the rest of us.
I think you misunderstood. I wasn't suggesting this forum create an App. I was suggesting Indian Motorcycles (IMC) create the app via IMRG chapters or Road Command. I have the technical skills to do it but not anywhere near the time. Administration for such an App would be a near full time job - updating the database, checking on current data of registrants, etc.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.