Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a 2018 Vintage which I purchased last year. Bike has 4000 miles on it and is on it's 2nd battery which is dead at this time. Had the stator replaced at the end of last summer and i do know the bike charges as I ride - 14 volts. My problem is I have a draw somewhere. I keep it on a tender but the battery still runs down in about a week or so. Does any know if the key can cause the ecm to " stay awake " and has anyone tried doing a draw test on the newer bikes. I don't want to bring it to the dealer cause I was promised a reimbursement on the Battery I had to buy but never recieved it and all I seem to get is attitude. I'm getting to the point of regretting my purchase.. Can't trust the bike and I really hate that cause I love this thing. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. Be safe!!

·
Bronze member
3,096 Posts
Maybe your tender is cooking your battery.
2015 vintage with the same battery,stored every winter,charged in spring,put away in cold storage in north dakota every year,never on a tender as no electricity in the shed.
No problems as yet.

·
Bronze member
3,096 Posts
1945 hd that I put two 6 volt batteries from walmart,one on top of the other to fit in the old batt box.last for years.i don't use tenders.

·
Bronze member
1,500 Posts
It seems odd to me that even on a tender it has a draw somewhere that the tender can't cover. Has there been any additional accessories installed that could draw voltage? Are all the battery connections; solenoid connections and grounds firmly attached?

Lastly, where do you keep your fob when you are not on the bike? If you keep it close, the system can hunt for the signal to activate the bike. This is less common, but it has happened to others.

Reactions: hankharmony

·
Registered
49 Posts
It seems odd to me that even on a tender it has a draw somewhere that the tender can't cover. Has there been any additional accessories installed that could draw voltage? Are all the battery connections; solenoid connections and grounds firmly attached?

Lastly, where do you keep your fob when you are not on the bike? If you keep it close, the system can hunt for the signal to activate the bike. This is less common, but it has happened to others.
My bike is a 2018 Vintage which I purchased last year. Bike has 4000 miles on it and is on it's 2nd battery which is dead at this time. Had the stator replaced at the end of last summer and i do know the bike charges as I ride - 14 volts. My problem is I have a draw somewhere. I keep it on a tender but the battery still runs down in about a week or so. Does any know if the key can cause the ecm to " stay awake " and has anyone tried doing a draw test on the newer bikes. I don't want to bring it to the dealer cause I was promised a reimbursement on the Battery I had to buy but never recieved it and all I seem to get is attitude. I'm getting to the point of regretting my purchase.. Can't trust the bike and I really hate that cause I love this thing. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. Be safe!!
mine 2015 vintage,same battery 5 years,keep it on tender,starts right now,putting a new battery (same) for my long trip coming up to be safe

·
Registered
168 Posts
I believe I am having the same problem since I have had to replace 3 batteries on my 15 vintage - I recently measured a 30ma draw when all switches were off in normal standing mode. The problem is that neither Indian or the Dealer can verify that 30ma is a normal draw. 30ma sounds reasonable, but on the Vintage, I can only think of the key fob signal receiver and clock as potential draws when completely shut down, so 30ma may be high. I do not activate the security system, which should not cause any added draw. When measuring the draw for the third time, I did hear a click after which the amp draw went from 30ma to near 0 - which indicates a possible relay that is sticking? The dealer could not find anything when I had them check during "the recall". Maybe you will have better luck getting Indian to provide the normal standing amp draw for a Vintage. When I contacted Indian, CS had no info and referred me to the dealer.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Do not store your bike with the FOB in range. I have been told to keep them at least 30 feet apart as they will keep reaching out. Honestly dont think this is your issue on this one.

·
German Rider
1,497 Posts
I keep mine inside the house in a small metal box. After 2 years, still on the same fob battery.

Cu,
Sven

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I have a 2015 vintage. I measured the current in the off position and about 4ma of current. I put the fob on gas tank and saw no increase of current.
Hope this may help someone.

·
Silver member
4,977 Posts
The FOB will not ping the bike and visa versa. They is purely myth. The only time the FOB operates is when you turn the bike on it pings the FOB. And then after you start it up it will ping right after to shift it into first gear to insure the FOB is within range. That's it.

The clock/normal draw when the bike is off should never exceed 5.5ma. That's all the draw you should ever have.

And what type of battery charger/tender are you using?

Try and find out if you bike has had the I-18-02 service bulletin flash.

Here are the details...

Attachments

Reactions: chief888
1 - 10 of 10 Posts