Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a oil change kit from my dealer. Went to to the oil change today and followed process. When I cranked it up after adding the 1st 4 quarts- I hear a high pressure "blowing" sound and look down to see oil pouring out from the filter. I kill the motor- the filter is tight as I can feel. I was using a 2.5 adapter to put it on. 3/4 past seal touching. Thinking maybe the filter has a hole in it, I go grab a K&N filter 203 to see if that will work. At this point, I am planning on taking it to the dealer to look at it. The K&N has the nut on it, and I run it up and tighten it pretty tight. I add about a quart to get me to midway between low and full on the dipstick and do the same thing- start it up. SAME noise and oil pouring from filter.

If I tightened too tight- would this be the behavior you would expect? Maybe I tightened to far...

The bike has 4500 miles and we are about to head out on a long trip. I have changed oil on cars and bikes 100 times and I have never seen this before, Any ideas??

I appreciate it guys

·
Bronze member
4,109 Posts
Like others have said, check for the old filter gasket on the bike and or debris. Also sometimes 3/4 isn't enough. I usually have to tighten mine on my Chieftain about 1 to 1 to 1.25 turns. On the chieftains after years of oil changes, the shaft that the oil filter screws on to sometimes loosens up and can be tightened. But that shouldn't be happening on a new bike.

Also make sure there isn't any wires hanging down near the filter that you are getting caught between the filter and bike, I have heard from other Challenger owners that can be an issue

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,230 Posts
Any way you can get a few pics or video?

Reactions: Rydahog

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PROBLEM SOLVED- there is a wire that hangs right next to the filter. Someone suggested that I check it, as it sometimes gets pinched and doesn't let the filter seat. I pushed the wire up above the filter and reinstalled the filter- leak is gone after completing the oil change and testing. Crazy place to put a wire that hangs down...Ensign

Thanks for all your help, and suggestions. You saved us. Leaving for Sturgis on Wednesday and I was sweating it a little bit...

·
Registered
461 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED- there is a wire that hangs right next to the filter. Someone suggested that I check it, as it sometimes gets pinched and doesn't let the filter seat. I pushed the wire up above the filter and reinstalled the filter- leak is gone after completing the oil change and testing. Crazy place to put a wire that hangs down...Ensign

Thanks for all your help, and suggestions. You saved us. Leaving for Sturgis on Wednesday and I was sweating it a little bit...
Someone else posted they had that wire pinched in their filter wrench and ripped it off. Always double check you don't have a hold of it when removing the filter, and reinstalling the new one.
Ride safe to Sturgis, let us know how it was this year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had the same issue with the filter. I think it’s the wire for the puddle light. Between that and trying to find a 64mm cap it was a fun Sunday last week. I had the puddle light installed at the dealership and have reached out to Indian to see if there is a procedure for securing the wiring in such a critical location.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the same issue with the filter. I think it’s the wire for the puddle light. Between that and trying to find a 64mm cap it was a fun Sunday last week. I had the puddle light installed at the dealership and have reached out to Indian to see if there is a procedure for securing the wiring in such a critical location.
I went back and checked and you are right, it is the puddle light wire. And a crappy place for sure...

·
Bronze member
2,202 Posts
Wow, good info for Challenger owners. Also a good time to possibly zip tie or reroute any loose wires near the oil filter before putting in the new filter. C'mon Indian, quality control.

Reactions: Ensign Pulver

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow, good info for Challenger owners. Also a good time to possibly zip tie or reroute any loose wires near the oil filter before putting in the new filter. C'mon Indian, quality control.
If you change your own oil and have the puddle light make sure the wiring isn’t pinched. As soon as I hear back I’ll let everyone know what they‘re recommending.

happy wrenching, safe riding

·
Registered
109 Posts

That happened to me first oil change - scared me at first, then I was pissed. Happy again now that I know how to avoid. You'd think they'd issue a recall, but it will only happen to someone changing their own oil (every certified tech knows about the issue and how to avoid it). Happy trails to you! :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thank you, this is great to know when i change oil this week.

·
Registered
207 Posts
that is exactly the reason we have these forums. Great info to share.. I am planning doing my own maintenance and would have gone crazy would I have not known about the loose wire issue. Thanks for sharing.. I will definitely be sharing my experiences as well.. great forum!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
Perhaps there would be a way to get and keep that pesky wire out of the way of the oil filter. A wire tie maybe?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts