Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I just did the 500 mi service this weekend and took the bike out to have some fun. I was very careful with it for the 500 mi break in period and tried to follow the break in guide as best as I could. With the whole COVID thing going on, I decided to do the service myself and it wasn't bad. Everything looked great and checked out. I decided to leave it in the garage while I waited on the oil to come in. I took my VTX 1800F out for a ride because the weather was the nicest its been this year. All I can say is WOW, it really made my appreciate the Challenger even more. I had a great ride yesterday and the Challenger is such a great bike! I can't wait to put more and more miles on it!

Some thoughts after riding my VTX:
1. The first thing I noticed was how heavy the VTX steering felt. It took me a little bit to get used to it. I never thought the steering was heavy before. The steering on the Challenger feels nearly effortless.
2. The ride... The VTX has more of a sport tuned suspension so you feel so much more on the road. Our roads aren't perfect and most of them need to be resurfaced. The Challenger just breezes right through them and they're not nearly as noticeable.
3. Power / Control - The 1800 has no shortage of power and I really grew to enjoy the hydraulic clutch but the throttle was so sensitive. For me the Challenger has all the power and more but doesn't have the sesntivity that took me quite a while to get used to. I've found the clutch is just as smooth if not better.
4. All the extras. I love the cruise control, the sound system, the comfort, etc. I'm really excited to get my wife on the back and take her for a ride. She likes the temps to be a little higher so I'm hoping for warmer weather.

I do have one issue that needs addressed but it's nothing that removes my joy from the bike. I had started a thread about the fuel cap and the solenoid has failed but thankfully it failed open. It'll be easy to warranty replace once the dealership is back open.

When I first saw the Challenger, I was hooked. I read all about the misfire issues and started to get hesitant. The Challenger was my first new vehicle purchase and I didn't want to end up with something I didn't like. I'm extremely happy with my purchase. If you're considering getting one but are concerned about the issues, I think they've got them worked out. Obliviously every bike that comes off the line could have an issue but that's true for every vehicle on the road.

Come share your Challenger experiences!

·
Bronze member
1,507 Posts
Tech, I, too, did my first oil/filter change this past weekend.....because my dealer is closed up and I didn't want to miss out on any (s)miles and keep the kickstand down on the bike until they opened back up. I checked with the Service Manager and he said no problem. Took pics of the odo, the oil and filter for the record. The oil change was a piece of cake......however, just a small word of caution/warning to the do-it-your-selfers.......when putting the NEW filter on, be very careful about a wire (maybe oil sending wire) close to the filter to make sure it does't get caught between the filter and the housing. It's a good thing I ran my hand around the entire perimeter of the filter first.....as it was between the filter and the housing before I snugged it up. You can do the oil and filter on this bike in a three piece suit. Didn't notice any negative discoloration of the oil and clearly didn't notice any loss of oil due to break in consumption. So now that I'm past the 500 mile "break in" period, I'm going to start some serious throttle therapy on this bike and see what this engine is made of. More to report once the weather clears up here in MA!!!!

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So now that I'm past the 500 mile "break in" period, I'm going to start some serious throttle therapy on this bike and see what this engine is made of. More to report once the weather clears up here in MA!!!!
I wouldn't allow myself to ride in sport mode until the breakin was done. Throttle therapy is sure good for the soul! My trip after I left my riding buddy was much shorter than normal! 😁 I wasn't quite sure when they decided to move the stop signs closer to each other...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Tech, I, too, did my first oil/filter change this past weekend.....because my dealer is closed up and I didn't want to miss out on any (s)miles and keep the kickstand down on the bike until they opened back up. I checked with the Service Manager and he said no problem. Took pics of the odo, the oil and filter for the record. The oil change was a piece of cake......however, just a small word of caution/warning to the do-it-your-selfers.......when putting the NEW filter on, be very careful about a wire (maybe oil sending wire) close to the filter to make sure it does't get caught between the filter and the housing. It's a good thing I ran my hand around the entire perimeter of the filter first.....as it was between the filter and the housing before I snugged it up. You can do the oil and filter on this bike in a three piece suit. Didn't notice any negative discoloration of the oil and clearly didn't notice any loss of oil due to break in consumption. So now that I'm past the 500 mile "break in" period, I'm going to start some serious throttle therapy on this bike and see what this engine is made of. More to report once the weather clears up here in MA!!!!
I also encountered the wire you speak of. QC needs to up their game!

Reactions: HyeHog

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tech, got a question. I too pretty much follow the rules during break in. Did you notice the engine loosening up as you put the 500 miles one it, or did it pretty much feel broke in from the get-go?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's hard to say. This is the first bike I've had the chance to break in. I did notice a vibration above 3k rpm that I wasn't sure about. Since the 500mi and oil change, it's basically gone. It's smoothed out quite a bit since then.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok, thanks. Looks like the engine likes the typical 500 mile break in procedure. It will probably continue to smooth out for the next few thousand miles. I can't wait to eventually get mine.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's such a great bike. I finally talked my wife in to riding with me and she was blown away.

·
Bronze member
1,507 Posts
The engine will take a few thousand miles to fully "break in".....just vary your speeds and engine RPM's for the first 500 miles. And stay away from the red line!!! One thing I did notice which got better from 0 miles to the 500 mile mark is the ease in shifting. Just take it SLOW.....use your clutch and let the engine WARM up before you slam the bike into gear. My tranny seemed a little notchy at first and still when it's cold....but it's clearly getting better with time and some warmer temps up here in the northeast!! And don't forget to dump your oil and filter at 500 miles....unless you bring to your dealer for the first service. Good luck; you're going to LOVE this bike!!!!

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since my 500 mi service the bike is settling in nicely! I'm getting more confident on it and the power.... just 😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts