Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday on my way home a car off to my left kept honking at me - I already knew why as at the last stop light, I spotted an old geezer in the back seat of a car eyeing my motorcycle up and down and talking excitedly with his hands to his daughter and grandson. At the next light, sure enough, the windows went down and the daughter asked me what year was my motorcycle - I thought about this for a millisecond and knew what was needed.
"1941" I hollered.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Green Automotive tire
yeah, yeah big lie.
But, as I anticipated, ancient grandpa's eyes lit up more than they probably had in years and his face turned into all teeth and lips... what a smile he could grow!
In reality I knew the only thing grandpa could really make out on my motorcycle was the Indian War bonnet tank logo.
Then grandpa says "I rode an Indian in the war!" and gave me a big thumbs up.
The light turned green - I saluted Grandpa
and away we went - one liar and one hero.

· Rider
892 Posts
I've told the story here before but, the mother of a very good friend of mine saw my motorcycle and asked for a ride, she was about 90 at the time. It took some work to get her on the bike but we went on a 10 mile ride around the lake. When we got back to her house, she was crying, I thought I'd hurt her in some way. When we got her off and she was wiping her eyes, she said she hadn't ridden since her husband came back from the war and had one of the military bikes to ride. She told me this short ride brought her back 60 some years, to "the happiest days of her life."

Thanks for making the old man's day.

· Registered
4,335 Posts
Sometimes a lie is the kindest thing. Kind of like when your wife asks "Does this make me look fat?"

· Premium Member
1,203 Posts
They are leaving us quickly. According to US Department of Veterans Affairs statistics, 558,000 of the 16 million Americans who served in World War II were alive in 2017.

And you, made one of them :D

Goodonya!!

· Rider
938 Posts
Reactions: Rudy Smith
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.