Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded my 14 chieftain in on a 17 Roadmaster. I truly love this bike. Put about 2500 mls on it in the 3 weeks I’ve owned it and the heat from the damn cat is insane. It’s 98 in NY this weekend. After riding yesterday in full gear I came home to my calf and thigh burned to a crisp. I immediately took the lowers off, which helped a bit but know I need to do something about this cat. My 14 was hot but not like this.
I have to start out by saying that the first thing I did was buy tan zombie like I had on my chieftain. After riding the first1500 miles I called fuel Moto. I’ve dealt with them since my Hd days and trust them. They told me that because of my tan pipes, removing my cat will cause me to lose a lot of power on the low end on such a big bike. I’m not afraid of buying a different exhaust but I already spent a fortune on the bike alone. What I’m hoping for is you guys to point me in the right direction. Can I buy a better head pipe and change the baffles out to a different tan baffle?
i called American custom and they told me how long it would take to do since they have no Roadmaster headers in stock -I’ll have to send them mine and down my new bike for over a week. I’d rather just buy a decent, affordable header that I won’t lose power with and use my tabs. I also don’t want to change my air cleaner at this point due to the cost nor do I want to put a fuel management system on yet.
Id like to wait for winter overtime to do those upgrades.
I know much of this has been asked 1000+ times but after many searches I’m still ending up confused. Any help for a gal in need?

·
Registered
544 Posts
removing the cat is fine and any loss if any won't be noticable. What will cause you to lose a bit of power is going to true duals, which I did because I don't care and love the sound.

The zombie baffles are basically like going straight pipes. You can throw in a different set of smaller baffles if you wanna gain some back pressure back though I would think it'd be pretty minimal.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the rush header, but honestly their web site leaves a lot to be desired and gives no real info.
fuelmoto really scared me off the cat gut telling me how much low end torque I would lose.

·
Bronze member
2,271 Posts
Power-wise, you need the 1.75 baffles for your Tabs, and the Rhinehart slimline headers.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy, the rhineharts are almost the cost of full true dual exhaust.
grrrr

·
Bronze member
2,271 Posts
Yep, but instead of losing power (with true duals) , you'll gain power - as to how much power gain, we don't know yet as no one has done a before and after (or any) dyno charts that could be used to deduce the header gains. At any rate, the heat from the Cat is gone and you get 18mm bungs for wideband O2's (for future tuning, etc..)

As has been known for years, 1.75" baffles create the exhaust gas velocity that is required for 111 performance, idle to redline.. Bigger baffles cost power - and the bigger the baffle, the bigger the losses..

Reactions: Flysby

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I stand corrected. The rhineharts are priced about the same as the rush. Rhinehart says they fit their slip ons. I’m assuming they’ll fit my tabs too

·
Bronze member
2,271 Posts
Just know ( and I forgot to add) that we've known for years that the Jackpot and X-Pipe headers do not add meaningful power to relatively stock 111's. They should be considered only for heat abatement (no cat) or for "more radical" builds (where there IS a performance gain with them.).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m not looking for more power-the 111is a very powerful motor. I only want to lose this horrid heat and not lose any.
you’ve been very helpful.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm installing a decatted oem header on my bike next week and I'll give a report. I've been riding it with the cat for 7k miles so if i notice a loss, I'll let you know
Please let me know the results.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I’m not looking for more power-the 111is a very powerful motor. I only want to lose this horrid heat and not lose any.
you’ve been very helpful.
Honestly, the power loss going to true duals was only minor. Cracking on it still tries to throw me into the backseat. Did I notice it? Little bit, but you know what I noticed more? Not having the cat burning through my jeans and I got a waaaaaaaaaaaaaayy sexier exhaust note.

·
Bronze member
2,132 Posts
Power-wise, you need the 1.75 baffles for your Tabs, and the Rhinehart slimline headers.
This is what you need to do...buy the TAB 1.75 baffles. No need to get new slip-ons. You can send the header off to American Custom and have the cat removed, or buy a cat delete header from Fuel Moto.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just ordered rhineharts header. Hopefully I won’t be waiting too long. Going to order the 1.75 baffle today

·
Bronze member
2,271 Posts
When you do it right, you only have to do it once. Your new exhaust combo will "do it all", now and forever, performance-wise. I mean, you won't have to ever replace those components again, even if you decide to rebuild your 111 into a fire breathing 116 at some point in the future..

Be sure to let Rhinehart know that you will be expecting to receive the improved crossover pipe when they have it available ( they are "in process" of redesigning it as the one they have with the system now, tend to scrape..)

·
Bronze member
2,750 Posts
Straight pipes on my fifteen vintage,with k and n air filter,runs the same,a lot cooler,same power,over 40000 miles so far .

·
Rider
990 Posts
I've got the Tabs with 2.5" baffles. Never noticed any reduction in power and sound great. I've had them in for 23,000 kms. No problems at all. No back firing.

--
Gordon

·
Bronze member
2,271 Posts
Dynobutts are the worlds worst brand of Dynometer.. The Tabs with 2.5" baffles caused a 7 lb ft loss of TRQ over Indian Stage 1 slipons, on a members' bike, all other "things" were/being equal, as proven by his tuners' dynometer.

That data is in here for anyone to see (find) - the member that found this problem (the hard way) is Marquis Fortin..

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you do it right, you only have to do it once. Your new exhaust combo will "do it all", now and forever, performance-wise. I mean, you won't have to ever replace those components again, even if you decide to rebuild your 111 into a fire breathing 116 at some point in the future..

Be sure to let Rhinehart know that you will be expecting to receive the improved crossover pipe when they have it available ( they are "in process" of redesigning it as the one they have with the system now, tend to scrape..)
Someone on one of the fb pages warned me about the design flaw. Rhinehart said they are sending me the new, redesigned crossover.now I just have to wait for them to build it and mail it to me. My new tan baffles will be here tomorrow but rhinehart won’t have them ready to put in the mail til Friday. I hate waiting for bike parts. Lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts