Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I liked the Kuryakyn heat shields but has anyone tried the ones on Amazon that look like the Kuryakyn and sell for $20 - they are dark smoke instead of chromed.

I like the looks of the Kuryakyn ones on my previous bike which was chrome with gloss paint. But since my new bike has a mat finish with mostly black engine I think the dark smoke ones from Amazon will look better instead of chromed.

Has anyone tried the ones from Amazon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
369 Posts
I liked the Kuryakyn heat shields but has anyone tried the ones on Amazon that look like the Kuryakyn and sell for $20 - they are dark smoke instead of chromed.

I like the looks of the Kuryakyn ones on my previous bike which was chrome with gloss paint. But since my new bike has a mat finish with mostly black engine I think the dark smoke ones from Amazon will look better instead of chromed.

Has anyone tried the ones from Amazon?

Post a link. I’m interested in trying them.

·
Silver member
4,922 Posts
Hell, for 20.00 you can try them and if you like them keep em. If not toss 'em out!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Lots of reviews showed that didn't do anything re: heat.
I have the Kuryakyn heat shield on my Chieftain and I like it so much.
Because the heat is transferred to the lower and then no heat on my arms.
It is very demonstrative at rest at stop light when a heat channel will be directed to the shoes when I am on stand position.

20181008_mousse de selle affinée par Swann Quintero 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I do appreciate the responses but like in some other posts responders respond without reading the post.

If you care to respond this is what I’m saying and looking for.

#1. I know most people don’t like the Kuryakyn heat shields. I do, they work for me so I have a question for those who like them.

#2. For those who like them have you tried the aftermarket ones for $20? If you have what did you think of them (the aftermarket ones compared to the brand name.)

For AeroStadt who respond with a good question here’s the link for the one on eBay. I have the Amazon app installed so unfortunately when I open a link to send it out it opens the app without giving me the opportunity to send a link. But if you do a search on Amazon it will come up. (Sorry for the inconvenience.)

Heat Deflector Trim Accents Shield for Indian Chief Chieftain Springfield 14 A7 for sale online | eBay

·
Registered
469 Posts
So I’m guessing you didn’t read the title of the post?

at gearset807: I read your title and my reply was adressed to tiger
OK, I do appreciate the responses but like in some other posts responders respond without reading the post.

#1. I know most people don’t like the Kuryakyn heat shields. I do, they work for me so I have a question for those who like them.

#2. For those who like them have you tried the aftermarket ones for $20? If you have what did you think of them (the aftermarket ones compared to the brand name.)

For AeroStadt who respond with a good question here’s the link for the one on eBay. I have the Amazon app installed so unfortunately when I open a link to send it out it opens the app without giving me the opportunity to send a link. But if you do a search on Amazon it will come up. (Sorry for the inconvenience.)

Heat Deflector Trim Accents Shield for Indian Chief Chieftain Springfield 14 A7 for sale online | eBay

I have the original Kyryakyn at $ 84,99 who is
Saddle Shields | Air & Heat Deflectors | Windshields & Air Management | Kuryakyn
  • "Made from durable polycarbonate"
I could not check on your ebay link if for $20 it is in the same material or more breakable or subject to heat?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Saddle Shields | Air & Heat Deflectors | Windshields & Air Management | Kuryakyn
I could not check on your ebay link if for $20 it is in the same material or more breakable or subject to heat?
Those are all very good questions. Unfortunately it doesn’t give that info in the post other than saying they are very hard to break.

I took a chance and ordered them. They came in the mail well wrapped but no instructions or anything except the shields. I know Kuryakyn includes tape to protect the paint but since my bike it mat the tape wouldn’t look good anyway.

Now I just need to get them installed. I’ll have my dealer do it since they installed the Kuryakyn ones for me and would be the best to tell me if they think they are as good as the brand name ones or not.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I thought I was responding to tiger as well. If it got addressed to you I do apologize.

·
German Rider
1,366 Posts
I have them on my bike. Compared them to the Kuryakyn ones in chrome on my buddy's bike - only difference is the chrome. Same material, fitment, etc. Just no chrome. I like them, cause the no chrome ones lokk way better on a bike in polished Bronze over thunder black.

IMG_20180913_161916.jpg
IMG_20180913_161849.jpg

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
469 Posts
Those are all very good questions. Unfortunately it doesn’t give that info in the post other than saying they are very hard to break.

I took a chance and ordered them. They came in the mail well wrapped but no instructions or anything except the shields. I know Kuryakyn includes tape to protect the paint but since my bike it mat the tape wouldn’t look good anyway.

Now I just need to get them installed. I’ll have my dealer do it since they installed the Kuryakyn ones for me and would be the best to tell me if they think they are as good as the brand name ones or not.

My way of dealing with my Indian dealer is to accept to pay their official price for the piece but with no charge to get it installed.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have them on my bike. Compared them to the Kuryakyn ones in chrome on my buddy's bike - only difference is the chrome. Same material, fitment, etc. Just no chrome. I like them, cause the no chrome ones lokk way better on a bike in polished Bronze over thunder black.

Cu,
Sven
Thank you so much for your response. My bike is the mat finished Smoke Bronze. Exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

View attachment 522820 View attachment 522822

Cu,
Sven
Did yours come with these plastic tabs on them? I’m assuming it’s a left over from the original mold and just needs to be bent until it comes loose and maybe lightly sanded?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Did yours come with these plastic tabs on them? I’m assuming it’s a left over from the original mold and just needs to be bent until it comes loose and maybe lightly sanded?

Hopefully the tabs allow some flexibility in the fixation.
If not it will be quite impossible to get off the side covers to have access to control Air Fox pressure on the left and or fix/ defix electric connections to rear saddlebags. Just my experience.

·
German Rider
1,366 Posts

Yes, they came exactly this way. I broke them off and sanded them smooth. It's a production thing. For saving about 90 bucks here in germany, I had no problem with them sanding.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

Heat Deflector Trim Accents Shield for Indian Chief Chieftain Springfield 14 A7 for sale online | eBay will those work on rm

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes. They will fit.

For those buying these for the first time I just have some comments.

These do make it a little bit more difficult to take the side panels off so keep that in mind. Some people have said they do not work for them but they have worked well for me.

I like them because they do not completely drape over the rear cylinder allowing it in my opinion to get more air.

Here is a picture of the Kuryakyn ones on my 2017 Springfield.

One thing I have noticed on my 2018 chieftain Limited without any heat shield at all is that I still get very warm/hot air blowing on my thighs when I’m moving but these will eliminate that.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, they came exactly this way. I broke them off and sanded them smooth. It's a production thing. For saving about 90 bucks here in germany, I had no problem with them sanding.

Cu,
Sven
Sven,

Have you found a way to remove the side covers easily when the heat deflectors installed? I tried removing them when I sold the Springfield and they were too difficult for me to remove so I left them in place. I’m planning on relocating the air suspension valve so I won’t have to remove the side cover to add air. It looks like you really have to bend the left side cover a lot in order to remove it and I was concerned about scratching the paint.

·
German Rider
1,366 Posts
R
Sven,

Have you found a way to remove the side covers easily when the heat deflectors installed? I tried removing them when I sold the Springfield and they were too difficult for me to remove so I left them in place. I’m planning on relocating the air suspension valve so I won’t have to remove the side cover to add air. It looks like you really have to bend the left side cover a lot in order to remove it and I was concerned about scratching the paint.

Removing Was not a problem, but re-installing is a pain in the a**. I just remove/unbolt the rear passenger peg/board and then it is easy. That's what I do.

Cu,
Sven

1 - 20 of 21 Posts