Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on a trip this week during a gas stop, I was turning slow around the end of the pumps and before I even knew what happened, the bike was leaning on the front engine guard. I had a hell of a time setting it back up. Luckily, there was a guy sitting nearby in his pickup and he jumped out and helped me. That's the first time I've ever done that, hopefully the last too. I have the red Chieftan Elite with no rear crash bars, so it was laying on the saddlebag. When I got home I cleaned the bike up and there was a small chip in the paint that is only visible from underneath. I think it's time to install the rear guards. Hurt my pride worse than anything......

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,048 Posts
Just the sheer weight made picking up that 2015 Chieftain impossible for me last year. That was just from a dumb mistake in my garage and it made me wonder about a tip-over out on a busy street. It was enough for me at age 66 to downsize to a Scout. A full year later I am not regretting that bike weight reduction. The ride is nowhere near the Cadillac smoothness I had but it's not at all terrible. Sure there are things that I miss like the locking hard saddlebags and their size but I'm doing ok.

·
Registered
131 Posts
While on a trip this week during a gas stop, I was turning slow around the end of the pumps and before I even knew what happened, the bike was leaning on the front engine guard. I had a hell of a time setting it back up. Luckily, there was a guy sitting nearby in his pickup and he jumped out and helped me. That's the first time I've ever done that, hopefully the last too. I have the red Chieftan Elite with no rear crash bars, so it was laying on the saddlebag. When I got home I cleaned the bike up and there was a small chip in the paint that is only visible from underneath. I think it's time to install the rear guards. Hurt my pride worse than anything......

Installing the rear crash bar is a big plus. I'm fortunate to already had it installed when i backed out from my garage and laid it down when I hit a patch of sand. Not a scratch on the bags on my Chieftain.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found them on Amazon. Wackywally just posted that he had just installed them on his bike. I searched on Amazon and they came right up. That's coming up soon for me. They also give you a place to grab if it ever happens

·
Registered
131 Posts
I found them on Amazon. Wackywally just posted that he had just installed them on his bike. I searched on Amazon and they came right up. That's coming up soon for me. They also give you a place to grab if it ever happens

Yes sir

·
Rider
429 Posts
There's a video on YouTube of a tiny women picking up a huge bike. When I dropped my 15 Chieftain a few months ago I used the method. Its actually really really easy. Dont downsize for fear of dropping your bike. Theres many reason to downsize but a bike to heavy to pick up is not one

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a video on YouTube of a tiny women picking up a huge bike. When I dropped my 15 Chieftain a few months ago I used the method. Its actually really really easy. Dont downsize for fear of dropping your bike. Theres many reason to downsize but a bike to heavy to pick up is not one
I'll have to look for that. I have no plans to downsize. I love my Chieftan. Thanks for the YouTube tip

·
Registered
85 Posts
I feel your pain. I have the exact same chip on the rear left bag. I ordered rear guards that night.

·
Rider
429 Posts
I'll have to look for that. I have no plans to downsize. I love my Chieftan. Thanks for the YouTube tip

A quick how too. Set the kick stand out. Crouch down back against the bike, lift with you legs. Its really pretty easy i did it when I layer mine down when that prime parking spot caught my eye at the lasy second while going to slow to turn

·
Bronze member
2,477 Posts
Shit happens, live and learn unless someone video'd it and turned it into a popular GIF. Just kidding, happens even to the best of us.

Reactions: AZGunGuy

·
Rider
1,232 Posts

So sorry to hear that! Glad to hear minimal damage was done. Put the rear highway bars on Chieftain not long after I got it for this very reason, ride safe brother!

Reactions: joleyred

·
Registered
342 Posts
I did it in my own yard, believe it or not, just as I was moving the bike from the shed to the garage to install the rear crash bars.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Been there, done that, too. Was at a convenience store, way out in the parking lot away from the store. I was sitting on the bike, putting on my gloves, etc, getting ready to leave. I had already put the kick stand up. Something slid out of my lap onto the ground and, without thinking, I leaned way over to try to pick it up. Well, since the stand was up the bike just continued on over and through me off onto the ground. Man, was I embarrassed, but I don't think anybody saw it. So I tried the thing with backing up to the bike and lifting with my legs and all, and I couldn't get it to budge. Like someone else said there was a nice couple guys driving out and saw me. One guy jumped out of the pickup and with his help it came right up. I felt like such an idiot. No damage to the bike, though.

·
Registered
2002 Indian Chief
10 Posts
I feel your pain. I've been terrified I'm going to do the same thing with my Chief, which is a lot heavier than my old bike. In fact, I came close just the other day. It was only fear-induced adrenaline that gave the strength to keep it upright. I'm looking for front and rear crash bars for my 2002. Not easy to find, and I don't know if the bars for newer models will fit. But I'm glad to hear the damage to your bike was minimal. A little touch-up should fix it.

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
855 Posts

Lots of videos on you tube on picking up a big bike by yourself safely.

·
King of the nuts
258 Posts
Welcome from Hawaii! Sorry to hear about your bike. Someone told me early on in my riding career, "it's not a matter of if, it's when".

1 - 20 of 32 Posts