Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bike is a 2015 Chieftain which I bought new in July 2015. It has just broke the 20,000 barrier. I ride a lot around the country but I use a toy hauler to travel in for comfort. No more tents for this guy.

My brother and I bought the same bikes that year and have set them up basically the same way. We have the circular stage 1 air intake, the cams, true dual headers (cat delete) and Indian slip-ons. Lots of other bling stuff but the above is the performance part of it.

The guys at my brother's shop in Orlando were trying to sell him on the benefits of the Power Commander which is about $400 installed and dyno tuned. As we were enjoying Bike Week in Daytona Beach, I said I was interested but lets have a dyno session from the man himself- DR Dyno who was set up down at the swap meet off of Tamoka Farms Rd. We set the appointment.

Dr Dyno is a bright eyed and spry mobile dyno professor who I would say is pushing 75 maybe. He has been at this for a long time. He travels all the Eastern rallies and is well known as a performance guru. He's a very serious guy when it comes to Fuel/Air ratios. We explained we were interested in Power Commanders which he sells and installs and were wondering what one could do for our bikes. He said "Well, let's do some runs and see". When we were both done he said, "Well boys, I'll be happy to sell you a Power Commander if you really want one, but your bikes are running so well that I just don't think it will be a noticeable improvement." That was good enough for me. Anyway, I thought you might be interested in the information. My brothers bike developed about one half FT Pound more of torque than my bike, which is just the nature of the beast.

We watched the next bike up which was a Harley bagger of some sort. The professor stopped the runs about half way through saying with a sour expression on his face, "OK, this bike is all messed up". So he commenced to unboxing that fellows new Power Commander. I do have a Power Commander on my 2013 naked Victory Vegas, with Freak Brothers pipes, torque tubes intake, and a Lloyds timing wheel. The V-106 develops 93.94 hp and 112.24 foot pounds Max Torque. The bike was modded and tuned on the dyno by Ryland Voss of the famous VicShop in Adel, Iowa. I gained 9.72 Max Power and 6.56 Max Torque. It's a sporty ride for sure.

What follows is the Dr Dyno graph for my Chieftain 111 in stage 3 configuration. Indian Stage1 intake, Cams, Indian slip ons and true dual headers with cat delete.
MILLER C.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, small world. You guys were in front of me that day. I had an appointment with Dr.Dyno do to the last re-flash from the Indian dealer turning my bike into a turd. I already had a power commander and basically a kn air filter and Vance and Hines slip ons. The guy that as good, but at moments I thought I might be calling a cab to go home if it blew.

·
Bronze member
2,761 Posts
Very interesting..
We have the circular stage 1 air intake, the cams, true dual headers (cat delete) and Indian slip-ons. Lots of other bling stuff but the above is the performance part of it.

I already had a power commander and basically a kn air filter and Vance and Hines slip ons.
So, a stage II , and a stage 1... But they make the same power..

IMO:
The Stage II leaves power on the table due to the True Dual exhaust system, and the horrible richness on one of the Cylinders.. Both are power-robbers..
The Stage I could make more power if the fueling on both cylinders were held steady at 12.8 : 1 AFR - instead of being too lean throughout the range. It would be interesting to know what was the Doc did to the ignition curve to create that power (4k - 5.2k) with a lean AFR (ranging around mid 13's).. the Dr. did do a good job of fueling both cylinders the same.. The "waviness" of the TRQ curve - even with smoothing at max (5) - indicates that more is possible...

·
Registered
5 Posts
guys.....dr dyno has tuned my road king 4 times over 10 years. everytime i threw a new toy on it that man made it run like there's no tommorow. fred ( dr dyno ) has yet to see my chieftain ( i since moved to sc ) but i will catch up with him one day. he is very talented and trustworthy he's # 1 in my book

·
Bronze member
2,761 Posts
I have no doubt "Fred" is trustworthy, talented, etc..
From Kstone's graph, he is stamping out the same cookie cutter tunes as all the other "good and trustworthy" tuners (that we have charts for).. He is equalizing the fueling between both cylinders and likely performing minor ignition tweaks..

Unfortunately, displaying the software's default position for the AFR Reference Line (on his graph), and tuning WOT AFR to stay above that point, speaks loudly..

Actually.. Just ignore me.. I'm having a "mean ole man" day, week, month... whatever..

Reactions: Craig1955

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no doubt "Fred" is trustworthy, talented, etc..
From Kstone's graph, he is stamping out the same cookie cutter tunes as all the other "good and trustworthy" tuners (that we have charts for).. He is equalizing the fueling between both cylinders and likely performing minor ignition tweaks..

Unfortunately, displaying the software's default position for the AFR Reference Line (on his graph), and tuning WOT AFR to stay above that point, speaks loudly..

Actually.. Just ignore me.. I'm having a "mean ole man" day, week, month... whatever..
Well, I'm not offended. My understanding of the whole performance tune concept is apparently weak and sorry compared to yours as I have literally no idea what you are talking about. No matter. I'll take your word for it. I paid Fred (Dr Dyno) to give her a few runs (and holy shite- did he ever!) only to tell me if I could benefit from a Power Commander over my Indian factory fueling map they worked up with the Indian endorsed mods I have made on Intake/exhaust and cams. I was willing to pony up what ever it cost for the Power Commander should the good doctor tell me it would improve performance. His diagnosis was that I wouldn't feel the difference. Good enough for me. I will say I am very happy with the Chieftain and how it rides and the power it has. Way to go Indian!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, small world. You guys were in front of me that day. I had an appointment with Dr.Dyno do to the last re-flash from the Indian dealer turning my bike into a turd. I already had a power commander and basically a kn air filter and Vance and Hines slip ons. The guy that as good, but at moments I thought I might be calling a cab to go home if it blew.
View attachment 598802
Well hell... I would have bought you lunch had I known.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts