Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

I dunno.......$4000?

2076 46
Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle tire Automotive tire

My '22 Royal Enfield 350 Classic was only $4800, and that's 'OTD'...
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

· Registered
2021 Challenger Limited, Ruby Red Metallic
515 Posts
I gots to know.......does anyone even KNOW someone who has an electric bicycle?.......and WHY?????? I guess other than the owning of it, it appears like something that someone with too little sense and too much money would buy. But, I guess cagers could say the same about bikers too......

I guess I'm old......a bike used be for kids to ride, to get their first taste of freedom and independence. I guess a kid gets one of theses and says, "Buffy....run along side with the first aid kit, so you can help me if I skin a knee".....and mini-bikes.....man, I LONGED for a Honda 70 when I was a kid. We could never afford it.....I just don't get it......but I do need another cup of coffee right now....

Reactions: Dr.D

· Registered
2021 Challenger Limited, Ruby Red Metallic
515 Posts
I guess the days of just pedaling harder for the health benefits are a thing of the past......

• Haha
Reactions: Dr.D and TigerGA

· Registered
2019 Roadmaster
370 Posts
Disclaimer: I commute 100% by bicycle year 'round, so this is where my perspective is coming from.

I do not own an electric bicycle myself. I test rode one once, and found it fun. However, among the reasons I ride is to keep my cardiologist happy, and switching to an electric bicycle would lessen the health benefits and fitness level that I have developed.

That being said, there are many people who would like to ride a bicycle, but are not at a fitness level to allow them to do so. Older retirees are a perfect example. If they were to hop on a traditional bicycle, they wouldn't be able to ride far enough to make it worth the hassle. With a pedal assist e-bike, they could ride much further and much longer. As their fitness level increases, they can turn down the amount of "boost" they are getting, or just turn it on when going up hills or into strong winds. For these types of people, e-bikes are a great solution.

Personally, I feel the bike linked by the OP is priced far too expensive for what you get. If you want a quality e-bike, visit your local bicycle shop and they can get you set up for half that price.

And please avoid purchasing those low priced e-bikes sold online. They are not certified, and the risk of fire is very high. My friend who own a local bike shop says his insurance company won't even let him allow customers to bring those inside his building.

· Bronze member
4,071 Posts
Not too long ago,a guy posted a picture [on another website I happened to be looking at] of an electric powered HD which had caught on fire,and boy,did that machine burn well!! lol Hence, IMO,electric vehicles are for inside usage ONLY,but "NOT" for the open roads and the elements!! The same applies to these lectric cars and trucks.So,again IMO,all these lectric vehilces are, is a money maker and nothing else and has been jammed down our throats by a certain political party.[No names please] And if ya don't believe me,but one,and you'll find out for yourself!!

· Rider
1,351 Posts
I gots to know.......does anyone even KNOW someone who has an electric bicycle?.......and WHY??????
Yes and for the great health benefits. 800-1000 calories, keeps my 70 yo reconditioned knees limbered up, 135-140 bpm for extended periods of time racing up those 6-8% grades.
I try do a 12-15 mile loop + commute even in the winter as often as I can 4-6 days on the average. Could I do it on a conventional bike? Yeah, I used too but hey! Power is a great motivator lol. Would a CB 650 Honda get me coast to coast across a couple dozen states every summer? Probably. Would I be motivated to do so? Probably not.
Is a $5k bicycle an extravagant waste of money? Is hitting a little white ball around a pasture @ $5k per green fees? IMO not if you enjoy it.
I rolled up almost 1300 miles on my new Specialized since the beginning of this summer. That’s more than some have on their $28k bagger.

Attachments

· Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
1,393 Posts
My wife bought an American made e--bike for under 2 k. Electric Bike Company in Florida and Kali. I think it goes 35 miles b4 you hafta peddle.

· Registered
651 Posts
I am pretty sure my local dealer has sold several already, so something must be appealing about them... I rode one around the parking lot and while somewhat fun I would not think I would want to spend any time on one, not sure what I would do with it other than make a runabout at the track during track day events. I have an eFTR for that and it is a lot cheaper.

· Registered
539 Posts
I’ve known several people that got electric bicycles after getting their licenses suspended. Enthusiasm for the bikes went away after the licenses were reinstated. The hardcore bicyclists always pedaled and never went electric.

· Registered
2015 Scout
81 Posts
I gots to know.......does anyone even KNOW someone who has an electric bicycle?.......and WHY?????? I guess other than the owning of it, it appears like something that someone with too little sense and too much money would buy. But, I guess cagers could say the same about bikers too......

I guess I'm old......a bike used be for kids to ride, to get their first taste of freedom and independence. I guess a kid gets one of theses and says, "Buffy....run along side with the first aid kit, so you can help me if I skin a knee".....and mini-bikes.....man, I LONGED for a Honda 70 when I was a kid. We could never afford it.....I just don't get it......but I do need another cup of coffee right now....
Several coworkers have gotten them, they were already 'cyclists' but say that having the electric power assist (and more easily attained higher speeds) makes it reasonable for them to commute to work by bicycle, where without electric assist its too far and/or takes too long.

· Silver member
4,089 Posts
Like it or not. The world is pushing Electric.
Don’t like it. It’s a fad based on incomplete analysis of the total number of factors involved.

· Founding member / distinguished
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'm only critical about the money demanded for what appears to be so little, otherwise I have no problems with electric assist bicycles, and in fact, wouldn't mind owning one as a fun toy to mess around on.

I have test-ridden one (at a bicycle shop, not at an Indian dealership), and was amazed at how well it worked, and will almost certainly eventually buy one......but NOT for $4000 from an Indian motorcycle boutique.

· Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Look up how many gas powered vehicles burn per 100,000 compared to electric. News companies sensationalize electric vehicle fires. It’s something like 1000 plus per 100,000 for gas and 25 per 100,000 for electric.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts