Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Indian is back making bikes which I think they knocked it outta the park, Harley is taking notice, case in point.... all of a sudden they upped their advertising,which brings me to this,... no Indian advertising wutsoever, I don't get it. As a reader of Hog magazine, I can tell you wuts optional or standard on C.V.O. models all of the same is standard on Indians @ 10 to 15 grand less. So my point is this... WHY is Indian not out there promoting their product? Are they laying low for a reason? Do they just expect word of mouth refferels, wutz their plan, inquireing minds what to know. Yes I know my spelling sucks but you get the point. Are these great machines selling at their expectations which warrants no advertising? Wutcha all think.......

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
How can we mere humans understand the intricacies of the Marketing Mind?

We think at a very crude level.... we sleep at night.... we believe what they tell us on TV..... we vote for their preferred candidate... we work to earn it.... they grab it right out of our hands!

Yes, we are lesser beings who know not, who have no clues, who live short despairing lives,,,, and, tragically, earnestly believe 110 cubic inches is the meaning of life.

We cannot even ask questions, let alone comprehend answers!

Give up, My Child, struggle no more,,, just accept and ride.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I don't see Honda advertise Goldwings, nor Suzuki advertise Huyabusa's. Hardley-Makin'em desperately needs to cough up advertising $$$ to maintain market share. Meanwhile, word of mouth seems to be working quite well for Indian.

Reactions: The Monk and Roadie

·
Gold member
6,453 Posts
I concur! 111 cubic inch (it states we're one better-me thinks!) Any new Harley buyers will think twice, they've seen em they've smelt them. We new buyers ourselves had a choice. I didn't see an advertisement, I just remember seeing one two three yrs ago at Quaker Steak & Lube. Also again at my friends Harley dealerships. Thorobred and Cincinnatti Harley. I saw it I had to get me one, money/price was no object. We are turning heads and there is probably enuf of us attending future Rallies Biker Bars- some of us at coffee shops;(Starbucks). So we at this point are the Indian advertisers. Let's just ride and not worry about it cause we already have one (or 2). This weekend I'm gonna park at a Harley dealership and let a few folks drool. And answer questions

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
I concur! 111 cubic inch (it states we're one better-me thinks! Any new Harley buyers will think twice, they've seen em they've smelt them. We new buyers ourselves had a choice. I didn't see an advertisement, I just remember seeing one two three yrs ago at Quaker Steak & Lube. Also again at my friends Harley dealerships. Thorobred and Cincinnatti Harley. I saw it I had to get me one, money/price was no object. We are turning heads and there is probably enuf of us attending future Rallies Biker Bars- some of us at coffee shops;(Starbucks). So we at this point are the Indian advertisers. Let's just ride and not worry about it cause we already have one (or 2). This weekend I'm gonna park at a Harley dealership and let a few folks drool. And answer questions
Dang, I wish I could join you. That would be pure fun - LOL
Pat

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Perhaps its a spin off effect of Supply and Demand. Increased demand by advertising may not be met by current supply capcity. Maybe when Polaris opens another plant, then you'll see more advertising.

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Been a while but on the History Channel, home of American Picker and Indian devotee Mike Wolf, they were advertising the Chieftain when it was first released. If you're selling bikes well enough do you need to spend $$ on TV ads. I do see Indian ads in the print media though.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
So Indian is back making bikes which I think they knocked it outta the park, Harley is taking notice, case in point.... all of a sudden they upped their advertising,which brings me to this,... no Indian advertising wutsoever, I don't get it. As a reader of Hog magazine, I can tell you wuts optional or standard on C.V.O. models all of the same is standard on Indians @ 10 to 15 grand less. So my point is this... WHY is Indian not out there promoting their product? Are they laying low for a reason? Do they just expect word of mouth refferels, wutz their plan, inquireing minds what to know. Yes I know my spelling sucks but you get the point. Are these great machines selling at their expectations which warrants no advertising? Wutcha all think.......
They are selling but consider the Springfield. Most dealers are getting one or two here or there and of course they are sold immediately or even pre - sold. The production numbers are smaller but word is 'wait' till the new paint facility is running full strength. That is the roadblock here. Goal is supposed to be like 330 dealers in the USA and thankfully thats not happened yet as nobody would be getting much inventory. Now. A few top dealers say that two years will be the answer here for inventory and then I would guess that advertising will go up. CVO's only real edge here are color choices in comparing standard equipment. . Other than that?

But you know what they say out there...............3 most overrated things in the world are Dodge trucks, Navy SEALS, and HD CVO's.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Seems to me that Polaris motorcycle sales are climbing every year. Polaris makes money on all kinds of recreational vehicles so a consistent rise in motorcycle sales is huge plus. Harley, on the other hand relies on motorcycles and related paraphernalia. Victory has only in the last handful of years been considered competition and now with Indian selling a lot of bikes Harley has to do something to regain lost market share.
As for Polaris advertising, I think they've put a few timely ads out there to make people aware of an alternative to Harley and it seems to have served them well.

I'm certainly happy that Polaris is putting its money into their machines and not advertising.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Our South India IMRG chapter is doing its first overnigher this month 22nd. Along with 15 indians will be another 10 riders (primarily HOG) who will ride with us (who belong to a different ride group locally) . We have had 5 riders from the same group pick up Indians in the last couple months. That's quiet and enough advertising. Don't really need to be loud like HD. I wouldn't be surprised if a few more put in a deposit by the time we get back ;):D

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
Indian Motorcycles has a few commercials out - but I personally have never seen them TV. I found them by doing search on Youtube
is this the new norm? Are wee to use the inter web thingy to search for our own commercials of choice?

Not to Hijack this thread - but it begs the question =-
How did you discover the new Indians?

In my case, I had stopped at a motorcycle dealership on a business trip to pass some time, when I walked in and saw the Indian Motorcycles, I actually froze in place long enough for a salesmen to make it all the way across the store to greet me before I snapped out of my trance.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have to agree you would think they would have more. I have seen a few TV adds but they are few and far between. Where hd floods the market with adds and I'm sure spends hundreds of thousands of dollors doing it.
Maybe Indian is putting that money back into their bikes were hd has been cutting corners like the bolts holding their saddlebags on. Gotta pay for all that advertising somehow. ;-)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Something tells me there is a bubble that's about to burst. HD is forcing dealers to accept inventory so as to be able to report to investors that production is at anticipated levels, all the while dealers have late model used HDs by the warehouse full competing with their new inventory since there is little if any difference between the two.

Indian sees this and has to gauge the impact this will have on their market. It's a balancing act. They need to keep dealers in product to keep them in business, but don't want to overextend themselves by overproducing. Whereas HD tries to force demand, Indian tries to just meet demand. It would be fatal to Indian to build a massive production facility, overproduce, and then have the heavyweight cruiser market burst. It's called controlled growth. I'm waiting till HDs anniversary in 2018 to see if the market as a whole sustains or implodes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Something tells me there is a bubble that's about to burst. HD is forcing dealers to accept inventory so as to be able to report to investors that production is at anticipated levels, all the while dealers have late model used HDs by the warehouse full competing with their new inventory since there is little if any difference between the two.

Indian sees this and has to gauge the impact this will have on their market. It's a balancing act. They need to keep dealers in product to keep them in business, but don't want to overextend themselves by overproducing. Whereas HD tries to force demand, Indian tries to just meet demand. It would be fatal to Indian to build a massive production facility, overproduce, and then have the heavyweight cruiser market burst. It's called controlled growth. I'm waiting till HDs anniversary in 2018 to see if the market as a whole sustains or implodes.
I agree with the 3 little Indians.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

I would agree, like I said in another post when we pulled up in front of Daytona Indian we thought it was a hd dealer at first. They had more harleys for sale than they had Indians on the proptery.
The last time I was at the harley dealer not far from my house their was no one looking at bikes the sales staff looked very board, but they were selling tee shirts lol. Oh and I didn't see one Indian trade in , mine parked at the front door was the only Indian on the proptery .

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
I would agree, like I said in another post when we pulled up in front of Daytona Indian we thought it was a HD dealer at first. They had More Harleys for sale than they had Indians on the Property.
Have Seen this at Several Indian Dealerships and Some of the HD's were Beautiful CVO's .. That's Great Advertising in itself ..

·
Gold member
6,453 Posts
They are selling but consider the Springfield. Most dealers are getting one or two here or there and of course they are sold immediately or even pre - sold. The production numbers are smaller but word is 'wait' till the new paint facility is running full strength. That is the roadblock here. Goal is supposed to be like 330 dealers in the USA and thankfully thats not happened yet as nobody would be getting much inventory. Now. A few top dealers say that two years will be the answer here for inventory and then I would guess that advertising will go up. CVO's only real edge here are color choices in comparing standard equipment. . Other than that?

But you know what they say out there...............3 most overrated things in the world are Dodge trucks, Navy SEALS, and HD CVO's.
Hear hear! On the money pal!

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Perhaps its a spin off effect of Supply and Demand. Increased demand by advertising may not be met by current supply capcity. Maybe when Polaris opens another plant, then you'll see more advertising.
Totally agree, don't need another Scout debacle!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts