Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm normaly not one to announce things prior to completion, but with the potential wait being so long, I couldn't resist.

I did it....I finally ordered a Springfield Dark Horse - Black Smoke.

Very little put down to place the order, and I can back out at anytime, though I don't see that happening.

The bad news is that the dealer said the "targeted" or "estimated" ship date is late July or early August!!! :oops:
Obviously, that's a bit of a ways off, but since the discount on used bikes is almost zero, or they even cost more in some cases, and I wanted to buy from a local dealer, here I am. His info on the delay said it was due to getting various matte black parts (pipes, etc) for the Dark Horse models.

Decisions: Extended warranty or not? I think he said I can buy an extended warranty that bumps it out for 7 years (not sure if that was in additon to the 2, for a total of 9?) and it's unlimited miles. Given where I live makes riding seaonal, and this won't be my only bike, I won't be putting a lot of miles on the bike. Your thoughts?

Options/Mods: The plan is to first get it, and just ride....put maybe 1,000 miles on it and then decide what I want to do with it. The only exception to this might be a brake pedal versus the stock "nub". Others on the table post 1,000 miles would be,

Passenger Backrest
Handle Bar Bag
Power Button "cover"
Debadge the tank

Days to July 31: 79

·
Registered
245 Posts
Very exciting, the Springfield is a great looking and riding bike… Congrats and welcome to the tribe! Post pics when she arrives -JR

·
Administrator
22,595 Posts
Congrats!! Sounds like a great move and you’ve already thought it thru. How much for the extended lifetime/ unlimited miles warranty?

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
368 Posts
When I got my SDH I had similar plans to yours as in ride and see. But there were things I knew I wanted like the sissy bar/back rest, windscreen, stage 1 exhaust and Intake, highway bars, driving lights etc. So I just kept my eye in the classifieds in this forum, FB and so forth. Found everything I wanted at a fraction of dealership prices.

What I am saying is don't wait If you see a good deal and know you're going to get it "eventually". Even getting chrome sissy bar and windscreen, paying to get the parts powdercoat black... I saved hundreds over dealership prices.

Enjoy the bike when you get it. I love mine.

·
Registered
2014 Indian Chief Classic
248 Posts
Back in the 1980's I bought my first new car. They offered undercoating with "Life time" free inspections and repairs. The washing prior to inspection however was $25.00, even though I washed the car before taking it to them. Cost as I remember $450.00.

A few years later I bought a new truck and purchased the extended warranty that took the factory warranty from 2 years and 50,000 miles to 3 years and 75,000. Never used it. Cost as I remember $1200.00

A number of years later, same thing for an extended warranty for a new car. Cost about 1400.00. Never used.

For the amount of money I've spent for warranties, I could cover and/or save for, for an unexpected repair. If the manufacturer can't build something that is good enough to last, don't buy it would be my advice. I think extended warranties are a dealership gimmick and as far as I'm concerned they can stick them up their arse. Personally, I wouldn't buy one, especially for $1700.00. Take that money and set it aside for a major repair that probably won't happen, then spend it on an extended vacation later.

Congratulations on the Dark Horse though. Hope you get it when they said. You'll dig it!!

·
Rider
1,257 Posts
It's like any insurance. If you need it, you'll be glad you had it.

I bought the extended warranty on my 2016 Roadmaster, feeling it was good insurance. Never needed it. Only had a TPM sensor changed, and did it while I was changing a rear tire, so got the labor for the tire for free.

I would put the money in a special bank account. Add $100 to it every month. Within the next five or so years, you'll either have enough money in there to do some major repairs, or have a sizable deposit on a new bike. :)

--
Gordon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts