Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Very strange. I don't know how the info. gets out to the insurance world but I would think Polaris would have gotten with insurance companies, gone over details, and gotten the bikes listed. My agent, who I've used for many years, on several bikes, says they can't get a quote from any companies without a vin # because the bikes aren't listed! I've never had this problem before. Anyone getting quotes? What is the trick? I understand the need for a Vin to insure 'my' bike but a Chieftain is a Chieftain, why no quotes? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I am a State Farm agent and we don't need a vin to do a quote and before you ask I can not give you a quote as I can only do MN insurance sorry.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bear. I'm going to call Allstate. They have been trying hard to get me for bike insurance for years. The agent I use is an independent that handles insurance with many companies. I've always had Foremost but can't get a quote. Thanks again.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
My insurance agent asked about VIN, but when I couldn't give it, she just asked about the engine size and what type of bike it was (sport, touring, etc)... Ball park figure she quoted was $270/6 months... That is with Farm Bureau

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
18595 said:
My agent, who I've used for many years, on several bikes, says they can't get a quote from any companies without a vin # because the bikes aren't listed!

this is an EASY one to answer.... your AGENT is LAZY!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
9496 said:
this is an EASY one to answer....  your AGENT is LAZY!!!  

Maybe, maybe not. Not all companies allow quotes without either selecting a model or providing a VIN, it's how their quoting systems are written. An independent is restricted to the underwriting system the companies they contract with provide. I had the same issue with my wife's first Spyder, they simply weren't in the system and even when they did first show up they were listed as sport bikes. It took a lot of work for them to properly rate the Spyder as a touring bike and the final price was half the quote.

Understand too that some companies quote systems will not spit out a quote without all the information needed to bind the policy is in place and a VIN is required to bind the policy.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
2610 said:
Maybe, maybe not. Not all companies allow quotes without either selecting a model or providing a VIN, it's how their quoting systems are written. An independent is restricted to the underwriting system the companies they contract with provide. I had the same issue with my wife's first Spyder, they simply weren't in the system and even when they did first show up they were listed as sport bikes. It took a lot of work for them to properly rate the Spyder as a touring bike and the final price was half the quote. Understand too that some companies quote systems will not spit out a quote without all the information needed to bind the policy is in place and a VIN is required to bind the policy.
I would agree w/most of your reply, BUT, the ONLY reason a company or agent asks for a VIN is due to it makes it easier on them w/less input of the vehicles listed info, as u said the info is in place, in a generic universal system... so if ur agent or company does not feel like providing that lil bit of extra cust svc from the beg and doing a lil manual input and research, than their answer is going to be the same as the orig complaint here!! a VIN is NOT required to do an initial quote, having an 'all lines' license myself, my 2cents remain the same, it's just plain ol' LAZINESS.... this is why in todays world there is NO loyalty when it comes to any sorta insurance, YOU have to constantly call and check prices w/as many ins co's as u can to find the best deal, cause it's just $$ down the crapper....

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Little off subject sorry guys. I see a lot of low prices for these bikes. My xc cost me like $800 for the year. I have a clean driving record is it because I'm Only 25? Back to the topic with the engine size and type of bike they should be able to give you a ballpark figure.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
10078 said:
Little off subject sorry guys. I see a lot of low prices for these bikes. My xc cost me like $800 for the year. I have a clean driving record is it because I'm Only 25? Back to the topic with the engine size and type of bike they should be able to give you a ballpark figure.
time to shop

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Sadly that was the cheapest. It's been a while so I will start shopping but still clueless as to why it's high.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
10078 said:
Sadly that was the cheapest. It's been a while so I will start shopping but still clueless as to why it's high.
I just look at our system LA is higher than most. Might be the claims ratio down there.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
In MN I only pay $247 a year for full coverage on the Vision but I do not have any medical coverage and we only have about 7 good riding days a year in the frozen north. The insurance companies know that most our bikes are stored for 5 months of the year. Our cost is lower as they don't have any claims in the winter. Also medical coverage on bikes is a big part of the cost.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
10078 said:
When I was 25 I paid like 180 a year for 2 bikes (smaller engines). Now at 32 I only pay 200-ish for my Vic. Time to shop indeed.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, 'it looks like' I have been throwing money away for several years. Let me first say that I am NOT an anti insurance company guy. On the contrary, insurance companies have always come through for us on accidents, whether the fault of someone in our family or another driver, and they came through for a house fire my in-laws had. I have been using Foremost, via an independent agent, for my motorcycles for over ten years and they really came through for me when I was rear ended 6 years ago. They were high on my Buell Ulysses quote however, and have continued to be despite my asking them a number of times to make sure it is listed as an adventure, sport touring bike and not a sport bike. Well, I just got a preliminary quote from Allstate, the company I have my house and cars with, and the quotes on my Harley and Buell were MUCH lower than my current premium, at all the same levels of coverage. In fact, WOW, they quoted the same for my current two AND a new Chieftain, as I am paying for my Harley and Buell today. Hey, I shop around for EVERYTHING but admittedly I got complacent after they came through so well after I got rear ended. I now see that I have been way over paying on my Buell. The message? As others have said, SHOP AROUND!

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Holy crap you guys down south have cheap insurance! My Spirit is ballpark $3K/year, but with my clean record it gets down to around $1300. This is in a country where there are two seasons: winter, and poor sledding. Don't know what the Vintage will be yet, but value and age don't seem to matter here as much as cubic inches. Once you go over 1000 cc's, insurance skyrockets.

If a car is at fault in a car/bike accident, the stats go against motorcycles, so bikes look even worse to the insurance companies.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
11100 said:
I just look at our system LA is higher than most. Might be the claims ratio down there.
Yes once again sadly La has the highest of most of the states.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
10078 said:
That's high but may be in line for your age. Whatever you do dont get any tickets

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
10078 said:
It's possible - I said POSSIBLE - it's your age as well as the CC of the bike, type and so on. Best you shop around for a better quote - and maybe better coverage. Advise you read the policy no matter who offers them, compare, and settle with whoever you're comfortable with. At 35 - long time ago - I was paying nearly $ 2 K (that's THOUSAND) per year for a brand new, '85 HD full dresser - in NY, mostly because of the CC size (at the time), and, of course, I loaded the policy with everything, i.e., collision, etc., etc., and so on.
Good luck, my friend. Be safe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts