Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

I bought a Bobber and built a "Bruiser"

11153 Views 154 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Zolkalf
Hey all. Z here and my first real post.

Like the title says, this Summer I bout a 2018 Scout Bobber with 820 miles on. I rode it for 200 miles and then started to work on it. Finding out quickly with Covid and supply shortages this project wasn't gonna go as quick as I thought. In hind sight that ended up being a good thing. That allowed me more time to think this through and just not copy many of the builds that were out there.

The last Motorcycle I had was a 2000 Indian Chief and I loved that bike. Thinking about the Chief and now owning the Scout there were some things on the Chief I wished were on the Scout. That's when my vision manifested on how I wanted to move forward.

My vision was to make a Bobber and a Cruiser, hence the name "Bruiser" (coined and stamped right here.)

From the gas tank forward I would add subtle cues from a Cruiser while not distracting from the whole over all Bobber theme. And from the gas tank to the rear it would be all Bobber.

As of now the bike is 80% done with parts on order that can take 6 weeks to get here.

So, I don't want to post an unfinished product to quick so I was thinking of maybe just posting what mods I had purchased so far to get that out of the way in case there are any questions along the way and give you some visuals of what it's gonna look like in the end. If anyone is interested I will do that.

Here is blank canvas I started with and the start to my Indian Scout Bruiser.

Thanks for stopping by, Z

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant
101 - 120 of 155 Posts

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,908 Posts
Hi Zolkalf, Shift Koncepts looks a nifty idea but no rack could be fitted, but it would be ‘in keeping’ with the look and styling of your bike! Like my fender it would have absolutely no functionality at all apart from looking cool! Quite like the idea of the quick release and being able to swap it out, but bolts would have to be flush fitting and bolt through the fender attachment. I could see no holes in the fender itself when he slotted it into the mounted fitting.

· Registered
2022 Indian Scout Bobber (ABS)
482 Posts
Thanks for the comments.
I was looking at a fender yesterday from Shift Koncepts I am eye balling and looking at his swing arm mount I wondered if my swing arm bag would be a problem.

"I think you may be overthinking it unless I misunderstood. I assume you wish to make a swingarm mounted fender? "

No, The the thinking was maybe you don't even need to mount it to the swingarm.
The 4 points of contact would be the 4 shock bolts. The bearing idea is probably a stretch but the thought was when that swingarm bounces up the mounting bar on the top strut bolt that holds the front of the fender would need to pivot with the swingarm and the rear of the fender would be fixed by the mounting bar on the bottom strut bolt.
The fender would just wrap around the tire connected to the 2 rods connected to the 4 strut bolts and nothing would mount to the swingarm.

I was kind of just thinking out loud on this idea, it was just a thought. The Brown bike you posted is a good representation of the fender length I drew up and seeing it with the floating seat I'm not digging it. Not at all.

Back to the Shift Koncepts fender he has 2 versions. a vented and a non-vented and come in 180/200/240 tire sizes.
I would go with the non-vented and emailed him yesterday and asked if the non-vented still had the "ribs" and he said it did not.
It's only $400 ... I may ask him what the block and bolt are on the back of the mounting bracket and maybe a few more pictures.
I also found a assembly video on it and it appears to be Matt Black and smooth and matches so maybe no painting required.

Shift Koncepts webpage

Shift Koncepts install video
Personally Not a fan of the Shift Concepts fender but just me. So, I do not understand the point of your previous design. The original fender was a "Fixed" frame mounted fender. Bulky and ugly IMO and very far from tire to allow the suspension to move freely. Now I was speaking of a "Fixed" swingarm completely disconnected from main frame so that fender can be close to rear tire and move with the swingarm. I am understanding your idea was to fix one side to lower shock mounts on the swingarm and also the top mounts so it has to have the top mounts swivel in a way to allow it to move along with the swingarm? This seems far more complex and I see potential problems if there is a failure at some point. Why make something move independently when it can move as one? Just trying to figure out the end goal you desire. Do not let me or others discourage you from doing what you wish or like I am just trying to offer insight as well as grasp your own concept.

Reactions: K9F

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Hi Zolkalf, Shift Koncepts looks a nifty idea but no rack could be fitted, but it would be ‘in keeping’ with the look and styling of your bike! Like my fender it would have absolutely no functionality at all apart from looking cool! Quite like the idea of the quick release and being able to swap it out, but bolts would have to be flush fitting and bolt through the fender attachment. I could see no holes in the fender itself when he slotted it into the mounted fitting.
The rack would make the fender to long after seeing the Brown one you posted with the floating seat. Something I could do without. I also think it would match, I'm still thinking on it.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
Frank,
I built a mockup with paper and wire and it's a bust. The Left strut sticks out much wider than the Right one and the bend would look off center and I don't think that bar would give enough support to the front. I'll post a pic so you can see. Thanks for the input.
Rolling on..

· Registered
482 Posts
Frank,
I built a mockup with paper and wire and it's a bust. The Left strut sticks out much wider than the Right one and the bend would look off center and I don't think that bar would give enough support to the front. Sometimes ideas are good, sometimes...not so good. Thanks for the input.
Rolling on.
Nice attempt though. Did you try my idea or was it not fitting with what you are wanting? The OEM fender seems to align perfectly for my idea and build just haven't had the time yet to execute it but I purchased all my parts needed. This way in 30 minutes I can remove it all and put the OEM fender and frame struts if I needed to without damaging the OEM fender.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Just when I was gonna edit my post the site went into maintenance. :confused:

I was going to add I could put 2 90 degree bends coming off the shock on the left side of the rod so the bend would be centered. The next step would be to get some pencil rod and cut a garbage can for the fender if I were going to pursue it.

No I didn't try that but want to see it when you get it done.

Are you still looking at a 7 inch headlight? I have a setup in the garage I could let go of if your interested. Light, Prison Bars cover, Amber LED blinkers and the fork mounts. The fork mounts are 50mm.

· Registered
482 Posts
Just when I was gonna edit my post the site went into maintenance. :confused:

I was going to add I could put 2 90 degree bends coming off the shock on the left side of the rod so the bend would be centered. The next step would be to get some pencil rod and cut a garbage can for the fender if I were going to pursue it.

No I didn't try that but want to see it when you get it done.

Are you still looking at a 7 inch headlight? I have a setup in the garage I could let go of if your interested. Light, Prison Bars cover, Amber LED blinkers and the fork mounts. The fork mounts are 50mm.
I already have the 7". I went with a Chrome bucket with pedestal mount #3 stainless mesh as my guard. I went with the JW Speaker Adaptive 2. Not a big fan of prison bars lol. Here is a mock up of the rear fender.

The swingarm part for front of fender can be simple angle iron made from aluminum tapped with small short bolts or a sandwich style mount that holds onto the swingarm. Then because it would be minimal damage to the fender you can bolt right through that fender on the top hump into said bracket if using the OEM side holes are too far and difficult to make one. Left side rear can be mounted to the belt guard but I prefer to bend it an attach at the same spot as other side.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 · (Edited)
I already have the 7". I went with a Chrome bucket with pedestal mount #3 stainless mesh as my guard. I went with the JW Speaker Adaptive 2. Not a big fan of prison bars lol. Here is a mock up of the rear fender.

The swingarm part for front of fender can be simple angle iron made from aluminum tapped with small short bolts or a sandwich style mount that holds onto the swingarm. Then because it would be minimal damage to the fender you can bolt right through that fender on the top hump into said bracket if using the OEM side holes are too far and difficult to make one. Left side rear can be mounted to the belt guard but I prefer to bend it an attach at the same spot as other side.

View attachment 717652
View attachment 717651
Yep, Gotcha that makes it very doable. Looking good and I like that pipe (y)

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I'm talking with Shift Koncepts now and I'm glad I got back with them before completing this order.

The fender in the picture was designed on a Metzler tire. In the photo it looks like the fender has very tight tolerances. I told them that my 240 was an Avon Cobra, it's a little taller and a little more rounded than the Metzler and I was concerned of the bend in the fender and if it might rub.
Since this fender was never tested or put on an Avon Cobra I am on hold right now on the purchase.

What Shift Koncepts is going to do is send me some stuff to mold the Avon from edge to edge, then I will send it back with all the tire dimensions and they will make a new carbon fiber fender for the Avon and send it out to me.
I'm not sure how much different the radius and height are on the Metzler -vs- the Avon there is, but I do know they are different.

And as I said looking at the photo the tolerance looked really tight and I was a little concerned. I'll keep you posted on how this plays out and hopefully it will work out to where it fits like a glove.

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Bicycle tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
The guy from Shift Koncepts sent me a box with a very pliable wire in it. Almost like a piece of solder, but it was very soft Aluminum.
The instructions were simple. Form the wire around the tire. Cut the wire at the edges of the tire and draw on a piece of paper. Now Shift will have the curve for the Avon Cobra tire if it is any different from the Metzler.
At this point I am still holding off on the purchase of the fender. I believe the fender from the guys is relatively new so I will wait and see how they perform as they start showing up in the wild.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Light Motor vehicle
Camera lens Hood Reflex camera Audio equipment Cameras & optics

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 · (Edited)
😂 Yeah that won't work. There are not a lot of options for a 240 fender and having a shop fab one is probably your best bet. I like the fender delete look with the large open tire so if a fender appears somewhere, great. If not, it's no big deal either. My request from Hemisphere would look sick I think if they ever get it into R&D and then production.
If you go to a 180 on your rear..... Well then you have options. Wunderkind and Tank machine make some nice fenders for the 180's. And your stock fender will work as well.
Good luck.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Yo Rogue,
I have one more thing to add.
Meancycles also sells matching kits for what you already have. So they have just the 240 rear that will match your front wheel.
Cuts the price in half but you will still have the fender issue.
Just letting you know in case ya didn't.
Rear wheel match

101 - 120 of 155 Posts