Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Z here and my first real post.

Like the title says, this Summer I bout a 2018 Scout Bobber with 820 miles on. I rode it for 200 miles and then started to work on it. Finding out quickly with Covid and supply shortages this project wasn't gonna go as quick as I thought. In hind sight that ended up being a good thing. That allowed me more time to think this through and just not copy many of the builds that were out there.

The last Motorcycle I had was a 2000 Indian Chief and I loved that bike. Thinking about the Chief and now owning the Scout there were some things on the Chief I wished were on the Scout. That's when my vision manifested on how I wanted to move forward.

My vision was to make a Bobber and a Cruiser, hence the name "Bruiser" (coined and stamped right here.)

From the gas tank forward I would add subtle cues from a Cruiser while not distracting from the whole over all Bobber theme. And from the gas tank to the rear it would be all Bobber.

As of now the bike is 80% done with parts on order that can take 6 weeks to get here.

So, I don't want to post an unfinished product to quick so I was thinking of maybe just posting what mods I had purchased so far to get that out of the way in case there are any questions along the way and give you some visuals of what it's gonna look like in the end. If anyone is interested I will do that.

Here is blank canvas I started with and the start to my Indian Scout Bruiser.

Thanks for stopping by, Z

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,915 Posts
Those do look great snugged up. Do you get sprayed with shit up your back when riding? That would be my biggest reason to throw a fender on it.
I ride mine purely for pleasure and if it's forecast to be wet I simply won't ride. Yes I get loads thrown up at me but that's the compromise, having cost an eye-watering amount to configure it for the custom split rim wheels and the width I have no intention of covering it up. Also it takes but a couple of minutes to wipe down the back of my jacket and helmet when I get home. It's nothing more but a Bar Hopper so invariably I'm never more than a couple of hundred miles from home.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2021 Scout Bobber, black smoke, Stage 1. Disabled Marine Vet.
374 Posts
I ride mine purely for pleasure and if it's forecast to be wet I simply won't ride. Yes I get loads thrown up at me but that's the compromise, having cost an eye-watering amount to configure it for the custom split rim wheels and the width I have no intention of covering it up. Also it takes but a couple of minutes to wipe down the back of my jacket and helmet when I get home. It's nothing more but a Bar Hopper so invariably I'm never more than a couple of hundred miles from home.
FCK I got a boner!

· Registered
1,973 Posts

View attachment 673801

View attachment 673802
Your bike looks great.

I couldn't own it, though. I ride too much. 12-15k miles average.

I went with full fenders because there are times I am stuck in the rain.

Graphics are terrific and the tight fenders and chin spoiler look great. Very nice job.

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My thoughts exactly. I do care about the wiring more than me getting wet. I seen videos of guys putting rubber mats under their battery close off just to keep water out of there. Not a bad idea and simple enough to do. Plus I ain't made out of Sugar so if it rains, it rains but I will try to avoid that.

There are still a few more things I need to do before I call it complete and will post the progress on that along with some new pics. I appreciate the participation and keep bringing the Gravy, I am seeing a lot of good stuff.

Z

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even with fenders they don't do much if anything at all apart from look good.

View attachment 673796
K9F, Are using a Titanium wrap on your pipe? How old is it and how is it holding up? All my Rifles are Black with FDE colored slings and I bought a roll of the FDE colored wrap to keep that theme for the bike but when I tacked it on it looked like an Ace bandage you'd wrap around your leg so I took it off (see image). I'm still debating on the wrap. Maybe Black belongs on the Bruiser??? View attachment 673925

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,915 Posts
Hi Zolkalf, You can get cheap wrap just about anywhere and as usual I was informed buy cheap buy twice. Nothing looks as smart as a clean exhaust but 'needs must' as I was melting boots and burning trousers, probably the same as you as your exhaust takes the same route as mine? The wrap I bought which was costly compared to others was Thermotec woven glass graphite black 1" x 50' and I used the lot. Initially I tried some 2" but it didn't look so good as it was difficult to get a tight wrap around the radius.
I used cable ties to secure it temporarily until I was happy then removed them one at a time and replaced with the steel banding. This is a two part process and to seal the fibers of the tape you then use a Hi-Heat Spray Coating which turns the graphite color a deeper shade of black. It is holding up really well. I had to double layer wrap the front half as the heat was still a little excessive with only a single wrap. I also used kitchen foil to mask up when spraying.

Hi Heat Spray Coating 11oz Thermo Tec | Thermo Tec

This was the 2" and yes I wrapped the wrong way front to rear. It was the first wrapping I ever did and it was a learning experience.

Textile Sleeve Grey Style Black-and-white

Sleeve Gesture Style Black-and-white Tints and shades

As it is now. I got a much more even and uniform wrap with the 1" but it did take me a while to get it so I was happy.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Car

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
K9F, I think it turned out great and I agree with "buy once cry once". Your setup is pretty unique so I can see how heat could be a nuisance. Sealing the fibers and masking the bands with the Thermo Tec, no worry about the color fading out either as you can always hit it again down the road, I like that. Thanks for the feedback.
Z

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Its been a minute but I am getting close to finishing off the Bruiser. I added these axel covers and man I think they look sharp! (see how I did that?) 27mm a perfect fit with double set screws from Victoryonly.com. I put silicone in the inside and used some thread locker to keep them set screws in place, man I hope they don't bounce off as I am really digging this look..
Z Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

· Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,915 Posts
Hi Zolkalf, nice progress, new shocks and indicators/lights too? Any further thoughts on a fender? I thought your exhaust rang a bell with me not sure if it is the same exhaust but similar? Here is another Scout I came across last year, I didn't get a shot of the other side of the bike. He was running a 250 tire on the rear but the fender had to be cut to accommodate the belt as he didn't fit a pulley offset it appears. Looked cooler from afar than close up. Similar split rim wheels as mine but mine are powder coated all black. Little more attention to detail and outlay it could have been almost perfect. The cutting the chunk out of the fender let it down IMHO.

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 155 Posts