Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
....my local Victory/Indian dealer reserved a black Chieftain for me today. He is pretty confident I will get a numbered bike yet. I didnt have to sign anything or put money down either (I am a frequent flyer at this dealer). Due to come in on or about Sept 15th. Filled out a credit app to see what he can do for financing. Sorry, but the 6.99% thru Indian (Polaristar) is far too high. If the numbers line up and they give me what they say for my cross country, I may be doing this....not 100% committed yet though.

I love my XC (and all the Vics I have had) but sometimes a guy falls in love with something and needs to go a different direction. I loved the looks of the Chieftain the moment I saw the photos. Got to sit on one at the AVR, heard it run, drooled all over it, thats all it took. We will still have a Vic in the family, wife has a Judge!

Anyone want to buy a Victory coat??? LOL I have 3...

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
699 said:
....my local Victory/Indian dealer reserved a black Chieftain for me today...........

Anyone want to buy a Victory coat??? LOL I have 3...
To paraphrase Andy.

It doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you ride bikes along the way. Lol.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I sat on all 3 models and they are nice. I wouldn't trade my CCT for any of them, but I would love to have one as a cruiser. Good luck in what you decide to do.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
the cheiftain is one shmexxxy looking bike. Hope things work out for you. I know the feeling when you look at something, fall in love then sit on it...
. You'll own it

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I still wear harley gear when riding my Vic, I don't care. In any case good luck with your choice, we would still let you ride with us. BTW, what size coats are they?

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I have 3 coats

1 is a size Large and is the distressed leather, vintage looking. Got it with my first Vic (touring cruiser) and lets just say its a little snug now.

2 are size XL One of the Xl's is a very nice heavy leather with zipout liner, vents etc. Says VICTORY across the back.

The other is a light-weight leather coat for warmer riding. I actually think I am going to keep that one as its a little 'dressier' and is just a nice coat to wear around. Besides, we will still have a Vic in the family, I am not completely abandoning them. Even though it looks like I am going to buy this Chieftain, its still not a guarantee. The final numbers still need to be right.

If I end up buying the Indian, the coats along with a few other misc items will probably be listed in the marketplace of the VOG

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I can relate, if this were 1 year ago I would be doing the same thing, that is if I hadn't been dumb enough to take a test ride on the BMW.

I hope it works out for you and when you get the new bike we expect pictures and a review.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats.

When you buy Indian gear 3x would be great you can grow into it and if you bail on them the stuff will fit me.

Enjoy please post pictures

Ride safe

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Life's too short to wonder what if. As long as you can afford it and it makes you happy it's all good. I would want a test ride before buying though.
What trade value is the dealer offering for your CC?

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't looking for a new bike but I rode one in Sturgis, after riding a Harley and Cross Country Tour, and WOW! No comparison. That Thunder Stroke 111 is a BEAST! It pulls hard and NOW in all gears at any speed. The most powerful big bike I've ever ridden. Drop it to 60 in 6th and want to pass? Forget about dropping it to 5th or lugging it crazy, like on a Harley or Victory, the Thunder Stroke accelerates with ease! I can't wait for my red Chieftain. Ride one, Man. You'll be amazed.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
15035 said:
What trade value is the dealer offering for your CC?
2010 cross country with 21,300 miles. $10,600, but I am also saving over $800 in sales tax by trading that you can pretty much add onto that 10,600. Seems low but they are selling a 2013 XC that was a demo bike, 480 miles, for 16,000. plus you can get 2000 rebate and I can get another 1000 off from their protect and serve program. Basically new bike for 13,000. In other words, I am not complaining.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
699 said:
2010 cross country with 21,300 miles.   $10,600, but I am also saving over $800 in sales tax by trading that you can pretty much add onto that 10,600.  Seems low but they are selling a 2013 XC that was a demo bike, 480 miles, for 16,000.  plus you can get 2000 rebate and I can get another 1000 off from their protect and serve program.  Basically new bike for 13,000.   In other words, I am not complaining.

That's actually a very good trade in price for a 2010. I only got about $1000 more for my 2010 on trade over a year ago. High retail for a 2010 is about $12k.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
2610 said:
That's actually a very good trade in price for a 2010. I only got about $1000 more for my 2010 on trade over a year ago. High retail for a 2010 is about $12k.
It helps that my wife and I are frequent flyers at this dealership. This Indian would make bike #4 in the past 8 years. Not to mention all the bike accessories and clothing etc. I also deal with the same salesman every time, we have an established relationship. I am in that place enough that most of the workers know me by name or at minimum recognize me. Not sure if that is good or bad !! LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Went to the Union NJ Indian dealer for the Indian truck event yesterday and me and two of my buddies rode a Chieftain. Sure can see the Polaris influence, which is a good thing. Transmission shifts like butter. Smooth, quiet, solid. The most notable part is the handling. This bike feels like it is 200 pounds lighter than it is. Turning was so effortless it as like it steered by thought. Engine pulls really well,sounds great, too. The one I had had a Stage 1 kit and pipes. The power windshield is great, but did not get a chance to ride on a highway. The engine had great power and did not lug at all. Honestly, I felt like my XR (stage 1 and Centerfires) had more pull in the speeds that I ran the Chieftain, but since I really couldn't open her up, it was hard to tell.

Bottom line, the three of us agreed: it's a fantastic bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts